rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

As per the E3 thread Nintendo have exposed my weakness and inflicted massive damage once again! I am one of you now, is it worth me picking up the pro controller? Main focus will be Zelda and Mario Odyssey for the time being.

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

As per the E3 thread Nintendo have exposed my weakness and inflicted massive damage once again! I am one of you now, is it worth me picking up the pro controller? Main focus will be Zelda and Mario Odyssey for the time being.

I'm going to say yes, you'll get loads of use from it for those games as they both excel in TV mode, and it's just a really great controller. Treat yourself.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

Give yourself a week or so to see if you like the split controller configuration. I played through all of both that way, and loved it.

Also, some of Mario Odyssey's moves are probably a little easier with split controllers.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Ran said:

Depends how you end up using the system, I mostly play Xbox at home and the switch stays in my bag.  The one thing I did play on the TV recently was Tetris99, unfortunately my Pro Controller has a problem with the dpad not recognising inputs properly. 

Bit of a waste of money for me. 

• Upvote 1

The pro controller d-pad is just shite and doesn't work for Tetris, I've had two, one at launch and one only a month or two ago and they're both identical with the imput problems in Tetris.

• Upvote 1

The input problems on the Pro are annoying. Not ideal, but if you don't mind opening it up, apparently you can stick some tape over a portion of the contacts in order to stop it registering incorrectly.

It's great for everything else though.

I had to open mine up and put tape across the contacts to make it work properly. It's actually a fairly decent d-pad now, but I shouldn't have to do my own bloody repairs.

Edit: Wot Phil said.

Interesting, I'll have a look. Though I just use the joycons for Tetris now.

The Pro Controller is absolutely amazing in every other way though. Big points for not caving and adding pointless triggers.

SnapShot_190612_134731.png.f4938b68b5fa64db1022239934a67562.png

Coming "soon" apparently. With these games:

• Space Invaders (black-and-white)
  • Space Invaders Part II
  • Super Space Invaders ’91
  • Space Invaders DX
  • Space Invaders Extreme
  • Space Cyclone
  • Upvote 3

Just now, deKay said:

SnapShot_190612_134731.png.f4938b68b5fa64db1022239934a67562.png

Coming "soon" apparently. With these games:

• Space Invaders (black-and-white)
  • Space Invaders Part II
  • Super Space Invaders ’91
  • Space Invaders DX
  • Space Invaders Extreme
  • Space Cyclone

Shame there is no Infinity Gene, but in for Extreme. 

I need a decision made for me...

I can't afford both - Dragon's Dogma or Diablo 3?  I'm worried that the correct answer is actually 'both' as they're so different.  BTW - I've never played either before.

Just to add that I think the Pro Controller might be the best controller I've ever used. Not really had problems with the d-pad on Tetris and actually prefer it to my drifty Joycons. I'm using a Splatoon pad though which I think apparently cleared up some of the D-Pad issues in that model. To be honest I'd rather have the feel of the Pro D-Pad than the shite they thought was a good idea on my Xbox 1 X Pad.

• Upvote 1

About those long-rumoured new Switch models:

In March, the Wall Street Journal reported that Nintendo is planning to release two new Switch models this year.

The publication has now followed this up with another report on the subject. The WSJ reporter in question is Takashi Mochizuki, who has a pretty good track record when it comes to Nintendo stuff; nonetheless, this is still a rumor – so take reports like this with a grain of salt.

Mochizuki says that Nintendo has started shifting part of its Nintendo Switch production from China to Southeast Asia. The reason for that lies in the current trade conflict between China and the US, and by moving production to other countries, Nintendo hopes to limit the impact of possible US tariffs on electronics manufactured in China. Mochizuki’s sources are “people who work on Nintendo’s supply chain”. Those same people are also saying that, other than the current model, production for the two rumored Switch revisions has started in Southeast Asia, suggesting that Nintendo is planning to announce them soon (!!) No specific numbers were given, but supposedly Nintendo plans to produce enough units to sell them in the US.

As for the two new Switch models themselves, Mochizuki reiterated that “one is set to look rather similar to the current model with beefed-up components, while the other is expected to be a less-expensive model with a new look.”

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I need a decision made for me...

I can't afford both - Dragon's Dogma or Diablo 3?  I'm worried that the correct answer is actually 'both' as they're so different.  BTW - I've never played either before.

I found Diablo 3 very disappointing. It's a repetitive loot game button masher. Some people swear by it, however. It depends if you enjoy that type of game.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I found Diablo 3 very disappointing. It's a repetitive loot game button masher. Some people swear by it, however. It depends if you enjoy that type of game.

It’s super addictive once you start playing the end game content. 

36 minutes ago, Benny said:

Just to add that I think the Pro Controller might be the best controller I've ever used. Not really had problems with the d-pad on Tetris and actually prefer it to my drifty Joycons. I'm using a Splatoon pad though which I think apparently cleared up some of the D-Pad issues in that model. To be honest I'd rather have the feel of the Pro D-Pad than the shite they thought was a good idea on my Xbox 1 X Pad.

Oh is that right? I also have the Splatoon one and have had no problem. This may explain it.

It still occasionally has rogue Up inputs now and then but it's not as bad as I've heard people say. In Tetris 99 you can also lower the drop sensitivity which essentially resolves it, at least on mine.

Well, that's a bit disappointing; heavily filtered spritework and smeared background textures are not quite the 'HD' treatment I was hoping for. Not surprising given the relatively niche appeal of the series, but still a shame. Even the fonts look worse in sharp-o-vision :(

• Upvote 1

On 05/06/2019 at 19:34, sir stiff_one said:

So two things that make zero sense ok.

It’s fairly common for codes or subs like this to not be able to be stacked, or to have limits. You can add a max of 36 months of Live, for example, and you can get codes for a few months of Game Pass which only can be added to accounts without existing subscriptions. 

8 hours ago, Ran said:

Do you happen to have a Wii-U Pro Controller? Or a Xbox or PS3 controller? I have a Mayflash USB adapter that was under £20 and works perfectly with my Wii-U pro controller. Have not tried it with any other pads. 

• Upvote 1

Where’s the list of games you can get with your £84 vouchers? Can’t find them on the Nintendo site any more, and want to see what they’ve added.