rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

I was just thinking, would it be possible on a homebrew'd Switch to emulate the Wii U, and in effect give you a Switch version of 3D World?

So.... Steamworld Dig. I've gone below 400m. Starting to get a little bored with it now. How big is the game? Not sure I can be arsed with it now - it just seems to be a bit Grindy.

I've not tried 2 or heist yet. 

8 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Has anyone played Battlechasers? Any good?

Yeah backed it on Kickstarter. It's a fun turn based RPG. It looks lovely, has nice loot, is quite fun. I haven't gone back to it in a long while so make of that what you will.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Has anyone played Battlechasers? Any good?

I managed about ten hours of it. It’s an alright RPG that looks really nice. Unfortunately the load times on Switch killed it for me. You’re frequently switching between zones and dungeons with lengthy waits. Even loading in fights takes much longer than it should.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah backed it on Kickstarter. It's a fun turn based RPG. It looks lovely, has nice loot, is quite fun. I haven't gone back to it in a long while so make of that what you will.

This.

I completed it on Switch and loved my time with it. 

• Upvote 1

We already have Assassin’s Creed Origins on the Switch via streaming so no reason The Witcher 3 couldn’t work the same way.

Wouldn't need a new console for that either.

6 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

I managed about ten hours of it. It’s an alright RPG that looks really nice. Unfortunately the load times on Switch killed it for me. You’re frequently switching between zones and dungeons with lengthy waits. Even loading in fights takes much longer than it should.

This killed it for me too. Loading times are measurable in geological epochs. 

3 hours ago, deKay said:

Gato Roboto is incredible. Lasercat X Metroid.

Bought it earlier, but in the home stretch of the excellent Guacamelee 2. I must finish that before I start something new.

Ok, another game to add to the wish list is Lapis x Labyrinth

Saw a Jim Sterling impressions video on it and it looks pure wonderful. 

On 30/05/2019 at 22:49, Pavey said:

I was just thinking, would it be possible on a homebrew'd Switch to emulate the Wii U, and in effect give you a Switch version of 3D World?

Logically, wouldn’t the Switch be too underpowered to emulate (in the correct sense) the Wii U hardware? So many Switch games originated on the Wii U, indicating the Switch isn’t much more powerful than its predecessor. So 3D World would need to remade by Nintendo from scratch for the Switch. I think.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Logically, wouldn’t the Switch be too underpowered to emulate (in the correct sense) the Wii U hardware? So many Switch games originated on the Wii U, indicating the Switch isn’t much more powerful than its predecessor. So 3D World would need to remade by Nintendo

from scratch for the Switch. I think.

Yeah. Emulation typically comes with a more hefty overhead than the power of the original machine. The switch in mobile mode is roughly the same power as the wiiu so emulation is a non-starter. It's a much better option to port things, especially when you have all the original code and assets etc.  

• Upvote 4

Yes, but you can’t use your profile on the secondary Switch unless 1) you’re online, and 2) your profile isn’t being used on the primary Switch at the time.

Did anyone else pick up a The Way for 89p either this week or one of the many times in the past it was that price? Any thoughts?

I’m about 5 hours in and I’m trying to like it but it’s just so fiddly and the platforming is broken and some of the “puzzles” (I’ll pick out the steam vents specifically) are frustrating.

I love the style and the plot is fine (although the random bounty hunter outta nowhere was a bit WTF), but there’s something in-cohesive about it. It’s a sneaky hacker game then you get a gun then it’s a puzzle game or a platformer then you don’t have a gun and have weird powers instead? It doesn’t know what it wants to be - Blade Runner, Another World, Gunpoint, Flashback? All of them?  

I got it too and it sounds like we're at similar point in the game.

It's...fine. It's not going to set the world on fire but there's definitely worse out there. Obviously when you get a game at that price point it's hard not to couch all judgement of it in terms of "but it was only 89p!!" but, well, it was 89p.

I was fairly enthusiastic about it early on, however the increasingly opaque puzzling has started to grate a little.

The platforming is pretty ragged too but the generous checkpointing and instant restarts means this doesn't get too frustrating.

The soundtrack is pumping and there is some satisfaction to using the various gadgets. I think we're looking at a solid 6/10 here and I'm still intending to finish it (New Star Manager addiction permitting).

Yeah, the bit where you have to use your shield to bounce the balls - no clue you had to do that. Watched a YouTube playthrough for that bit and the girl playing also got stuck there and stopped playing while she looked up how to do it.

The “solution” in a walkthrough on the Steam forums just says “point the laser vaguely over there” which is completely wrong and irrelevant.

The twin stick mechanic makes too many bits way too fiddly compared to the mouse control on its original host platform....but I don't regret picking it up at the dirt cheap 89pence price point, held my attention far longer than all those crap apps purchased on my phone back in the day.

On 25/05/2019 at 13:08, Colonel Panic said:

Sweet. May as well get it, then! I’ve played and enjoyed Darius Twin, and while Wikipedia says Darius is different, I’m sure I’ll like it. 

Finding Darius a little slow, but Darius 2 and Darius Gaiden are good fun.

I have noticed that something when it's game over, the game freezes during that blue popup. I'm guessing it's saving a replay or something? I can't read Japanese!