rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

15 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The wheel attachments definitely make joycons easier to hold. Bigger l and r buttons, too.

Cheers, think I'll grab a pack and see how we get on. 

11 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Has anyone played Mario Party?

Wondering whether it would be any good to play with a 3 year old and a 5 year old, but have never played any games in the series before. 

My experience with my 5 year old from a few pages back:

On 06/10/2018 at 19:18, bimbam said:

My 5 year old has never really got into games other then bits of iPad and DS stuff, but she’s mega competitive and loves board games so thought she’d try this

Shes just got 4 stars on her own, beating me and her Mum and through the whole game was giddy with excitement with every star, until she then won and ran around the house screaming I’m the winner and jumping up and down.  Her 1st tooth also fell out today so is excited for tooth fairy, it’s the best day ever apparently :wub:

Today we’ve had another game with her 10 year old cousin, which was even more fun and exciting for her - they both came 1st and 2nd

I’m sure your 5 year old will love it

• Upvote 2

Oh, Mario Party is excellent. Kids are loving it. First time we've used the actual wrist strap.

Although, when I took it out of the bag, first thing my daughter said was "oh it's not Splatoon 2?"

12 hours ago, deKay said:

Rumours seem to suggest Save Me Mr Tako is out next week. Possibly even tomorrow.

Confirmed for the 30th. The rumour was for the announcement not the release!

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is Mark of the Ninja out this week?

Tomorrow in the US, no confirmation on it being tomorrow in the EU quite yet though. 

On 07/10/2018 at 10:46, Kryptonian said:

My 6 year old is angling for a switch, what games would be suitable for someone that age? Besides mario, mario kart & Zelda (assuming they would be ok)

All depends on how much time they have been playing other games. My 6 year old loves Zelda, he's watched me for hundreds of hours and put in 100 himself, but it's not very hand holdy and some of the background detail shall I say might be a bit challenging.

Donkey Kong might be an idea and NSMBWIIU is out early January too. Certainly Mario Kart though. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Foxworth said:

All depends on how much time they have been playing other games. My 6 year old loves Zelda, he's watched me for hundreds of hours and put in 100 himself, but it's not very hand holdy and some of the background detail shall I say might be a bit challenging.

Also, his reading will need to be decent. :) There's a lot of text to understand.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Also, his reading will need to be decent. :) There's a lot of text to understand.

Certainly, although if he's anything like my kid it will help his reading fantastically. It's joyous hearing a little one bellow out "Ooh! You've never had energising glazed meat, have you dad?" 

12 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I don't have kids yet but I can't wait for those days. Really heart-warming stuff. 

It really is great, my eldest is 9 next week and it's the first time she's asked for something gaming related for her Birthday, she wants Detective Pikachu for the 3DS...

That should keep her happy until she gets the Switch I'm going to surprise her with at Christmas :)

• Upvote 7

Whilst on the subject of kids enjoying the Switch. Mine have profiles on my Switch, would linking those to my Nintendo Account get them Cloud saves if I had an individual membership to the service? I'm not sure what Nintendo mean by "user" in this bit:

"One save data file can be uploaded per software title, per user."

2 hours ago, Big Swifty said:

Whilst on the subject of kids enjoying the Switch. Mine have profiles on my Switch, would linking those to my Nintendo Account get them Cloud saves if I had an individual membership to the service? I'm not sure what Nintendo mean by "user" in this bit:

"One save data file can be uploaded per software title, per user."

Means exactly that, I'm afraid. One switch account. So you'd need the Family Membership.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Means exactly that, I'm afraid. One switch account. So you'd need the Family Membership.

Thanks. I was probably being optimistic there, just that elsewhere in the guidance it refers to accounts rather than users. Feels a bit mean for me to back up my saves and not theirs, damn you Nintendo and your fingers in my wallet.

My son has a profile that is linked to my family account - and I have the online service.  He's likely to get a switch from Santa this year - I'm assuming I just put his profile into that switch and all the magical family sharing stuff will just work.  Also, will the saves he has on my switch be available to him (he's been playing a lot of Monster Hunter)... do I need to do anything special to get the cloud saves?

4 minutes ago, scottcr said:

My son has a profile that is linked to my family account - and I have the online service.  He's likely to get a switch from Santa this year - I'm assuming I just put his profile into that switch and all the magical family sharing stuff will just work.  Also, will the saves he has on my switch be available to him (he's been playing a lot of Monster Hunter)... do I need to do anything special to get the cloud saves?

Just so I can understand the answer when it arrives. It's just the profile which is linked, so there is no child account or his own Nintendo account?

The other reason I am reluctant to go family membership is that I don't trust Nintendo to have some no way back pitfall in the way I choose to set it up. I'd experiment more if I trusted them not to have some crazy thing hidden in there.

I have a single online account on the switch, my missus has a switch profile, but no online account. She can use her account on mario kart online as a second player when playing with me online on the same switch.

I thought I understood this, but the conversation above has made me doubt myself again. Honestly, it needs a diagram. 

Assuming nothing legacy (prior to Switch, the only "online" Nintendo thing I had was an account for Mario Run on my phone) then what I have is:

Me: Nintendo Account <-> Switch Profile (is enabled for Online and backups)

Family: Switch Profiles only (nowt)

I have no Family thing setup, except the phone app to control screen time and ratings of games that can be played (don't really use it, but figured I'd set it up). This is completely separate from my Nintendo Account, right?

I got Super Mario Party for my birthday from my kids yesterday, and it broke my heart. Twice.

First of all, they'd spent their hard earned cash and made the mistake of going to Gamestop. They had to fork out £60 for the damn game but they were very excited to give this game to me. They'd heard me going on about the glorious Mario Party sessions I had back on Gamecube so this was a very personal gift. That broke my heart a little. 
Next up they were very excited about playing this with me last night, but it turned out that the game doesn't support the Pro controller. We have two Pro controllers and only one pair of joycons. When they realized we couldn't play together as a family due to the lack of joycons, they were really let down. That broke my heart a little too. 

Oh well, seems like I'm going joycon hunting today. Can't wait to play Mario Party with them all night. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 3