rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Crusey said:

Apparently they try to retain your save data. It is possible to transfer data from one Switch to the other so you'd hope they'd do that for you.

My Switch is currently with them for repair so I can let you know what happens with my save games when I get it back.

Thanks, that’d be much appreciated.

59 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Buy another on Amazon, transfer your profile onto it and send yours to Nintendo. When it comes back transfer your profile back onto it and return Amazon’s Switch to them. 

Not a bad shout, thanks for the suggestion. I’m hoping I can get to the end of XC2 first then maybe try something like this. If it’s really that easy to transfer saves though, Nintendo should be doing it themselves, surely?

Thanks for all the suggestions though guys.

I had my Switch repaired last August. I lost all my save data. I haven’t played the Zelda DLC or gone back to Splatoon 2 etc :(

You can transfer a profile to another console - deactivate on the first console, activate on the new one - but that doesn’t include your saved games. AFAIK there is no way for you to move them from the internal storage on your Switch. Nintendo apparently have tools to move saved games but, unfortunately, they didn’t (or couldn’t) do that when I sent my Switch in for repair.

• Empathy 2

14 minutes ago, Santas Boyfriend said:

I had my Switch repaired last August. I lost all my save data. I haven’t played the Zelda DLC or gone back to Splatoon 2 etc :(

You can transfer a profile to another console - deactivate on the first console, activate on the new one - but that doesn’t include your saved games. AFAIK there is no way for you to move them from the internal storage on your Switch. Nintendo apparently have tools to move saved games but, unfortunately, they didn’t (or couldn’t) do that when I sent my Switch in for repair.

That’s crap mate, you have my sympathies :( don’t think I could make myself replay that much of games like those either, it’d be a bit soul destroying!

So you can’t transfer saved data yourself, and there’s a good chance Nintendo won’t be able to either, or simply won’t do it?? Considering this isn’t like a one in a million situation, that’s terrible.

Not sure what’ll I’ll do if I have to send the console back- might seriously consider getting my money back. Great if you have one that runs fine, but even the slightest chance that you’ll have to send it back, thus losing all your saves....that makes my skin crawl :(

EDIT: according to nintendo, you can transfer your saves from one switch to another (as well as user data), so at least that’s a little better. Still not great though if Nintendo aren’t doing that every time (unless the issue totally prevents them).

7 hours ago, Santas Boyfriend said:

You can transfer your saves, I think it came with version 4 of the os. 

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27394/~/how-to-transfer-user-and-save-data

3 hours ago, cohen205 said:

Does anyone know how to stop playing Stardew Valley? 

I've had to set up the parental controls; I allow myself 1hr 15mins Mon-Thurs but then 3hrs each day at the weekend. Friday night from 9-12, feet up with a scotch in hand and Stardew on the big screen is the highlight of my week.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

You can transfer your saves, I think it came with version 4 of the os. 

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27394/~/how-to-transfer-user-and-save-data

Thats awesome! Now it just needs save game backups and/or cloud saves :D

In my case the console stopped booting to the home screen, getting stuck at the Switch logo. So by that point I was unable to do anything that involved using the Switch itself to transfer data anywhere else. It would have been great if I’d been able to activate my account on a new or repaired machine and get my save data on there too without needing the original machine.

But if you have a console that boots - and another console to transfer to - transfering would at least be a way of keeping your data.

5 hours ago, cohen205 said:

Just realise that you’re spending the start of each ingame day doing boring busywork, and that this is taking up about 2/3 of your playtime.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Just realise that you’re spending the start of each ingame day doing boring busywork, and that this is taking up about 2/3 of your playtime.

What about if you get immense pleasure from boring busywork?

• Upvote 2

You know what's great about the Switch, i'm stopping in a hotel tomorrow evening as the misses is pregnant and we have a jaunt of a drive to the Harry Potter museum for Saturday morning. So when she goes to sleep at 8pm which is inevitable at the moment, I can carry on playing Xenoblade Chronicles & Zelda even though i'm miles away from home :D

• Upvote 2

Someone else mentioned this too, but what’s also great, is that you can have it booted up and be playing a game within seconds (and that’s even without using sleep mode). It’s noticeably quicker than than the ps4 or Xbox one.

7 hours ago, cohen205 said:

If anyone figures it out please tell me, I put 100 hours in on Steam and the thought of starting again filled me with dread, I've now put similar in to the Switch version and I'm literally playing for no reason, I own every thing, I've got pretty much unlimited money, I've completed all the tasks etc. So why am I turning it on night after night to Milk cows and harvest crops to get a currency that I have literally nothing to spend it on.

That's the one thing I wish was included, some more expensive content, so a few different buildings etc. Costing 1mill and above so there's something to work towards otherwise you can pretty much have everything wrapped up by the end of year 2. Then again, it's a tenner, to get 100 hours out of something for a tenner, twice is quite remarkable 

Is anyone still regularly using one of those cheap Chinese dock replacement thingys?  

Any issues with it?

Perhaps not the time to ask as I already ordered a genuine charger and a dock thing from Aliexpress.. 

11 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

If anyone figures it out please tell me, I put 100 hours in on Steam and the thought of starting again filled me with dread, I've now put similar in to the Switch version and I'm literally playing for no reason, I own every thing, I've got pretty much unlimited money, I've completed all the tasks etc. So why am I turning it on night after night to Milk cows and harvest crops to get a currency that I have literally nothing to spend it on.

That's the one thing I wish was included, some more expensive content, so a few different buildings etc. Costing 1mill and above so there's something to work towards otherwise you can pretty much have everything wrapped up by the end of year 2. Then again, it's a tenner, to get 100 hours out of something for a tenner, twice is quite remarkable 

Isnt there more single player content coming soon? Along with multiplayer? 

• Upvote 1

I was off work with a fever for the last few days, and managed to get in 10hrs of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I don't think I've done that much concentrated gaming since before I had kids.

It's nice to be well again, but I kind of just want to dick about in Alrest at the moment. :blink:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

Is anyone still regularly using one of those cheap Chinese dock replacement thingys?  

Any issues with it?

Perhaps not the time to ask as I already ordered a genuine charger and a dock thing from Aliexpress.. 

I've got one! I use it from time to time and whilst it can be a bit fiddly at times (only works with certain USB chargers, sometimes the Switch won't wake from sleep with it connected), it's been pretty good. It's been handy when travelling for work, as it means I can connect my Switch to the hotel room telly without having to bring my official dock and charger with me.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Zio said:

I've got one! I use it from time to time and whilst it can be a bit fiddly at times (only works with certain USB chargers, sometimes the Switch won't wake from sleep with it connected), it's been pretty good. It's been handy when travelling for work, as it means I can connect my Switch to the hotel room telly without having to bring my official dock and charger with me.

Perfect.  Mine will be for occasional use too - in my games room mainly, but also for travel.  My Switch usually in the living room, I'll erm, switch the docks around if I'm more frequently in the other room.

I also ordered a second official charger from Amazon (£20 for Prime, plus 10 off 50 voucher along with other stuff) so won't have USB chargers.

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

I was off work with a fever for the last few days, and managed to get in 10hrs of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I don't think I've done that much concentrated gaming since before I had kids.

It's nice to be well again, but I kind of just want to dick about in Alrest at the moment. :blink:

XC2 was this game fore me too.  The first game in years (Odyssey and BOTW included) that I sat at work, and consciously wanted to go home and play, and the game that lead to a few late night / early morning game sessions - something else I have't done for years!

10 hours ago, cohen205 said:

I've managed to reduce how much I play it...by my wife playing it in the evenings as well. 

She asked me if it was also on Xbox One (it is) as a friend of hers is now interested.

Oh, and my son plays the PS4 version.

It's brilliant, one of the best value for money games there is. 

51 minutes ago, Freeman said:

XC2 was this game fore me too.  The first game in years (Odyssey and BOTW included) that I sat at work, and consciously wanted to go home and play, and the game that lead to a few late night / early morning game sessions - something else I have't done for years!

Xenoblade 1 was about the only game I played for three years or so - which partially speaks to my sparse play hours as a new parent, but also to how much it grabbed me and how many times I restarted. I basically got a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X, and was disappointed to find that it left me utterly cold - it felt like Secret of Evermore as opposed to Secret of Mana, if you will. Similar mechanics and some good new ideas, but a total charm bypass.

XC2, however, is the real deal. Likeable characters, great localisation by a UK team, and by having massive-but-constrained environments rather than an open world, gives a much more curated feel in terms of sight-seeing. Probably the most enjoyable combo-based battle system since Chrono Trigger too, for my money. It's also legitimately hilarious at times, which I didn't expect at all. The quests are fewer in number than XC1, and are consequently less makeworky (I don't think anyone's asked to "Kill X Ys" yet), and the whole only-get-quest-XP-if-you-want-to system is GENIUS, as it lets compulsive side-questers like myself enjoy them without making the story quest trivially easy.

Admittedly, it's a bit... Playstation 2 when playing handheld, but I'd rather it downrezzed than the framerate took a hit, so it's liveable. Looks legitimately gorgeous on the TV, and playing with loose joycons, no grip, is even more comfortable than wiimote + joycon, which was my previous comfort benchmark.

TL;DR - Xenoblade 2 Xenoblade 2 Xenoblade 2 Xenoblade 2 Xenoblade 2 Xenoblade 2

• Upvote 5

Re: Stardew Valley 

But it lasts for ages because there’s so much tedious busywork. If you’ve ever built a sprinkler, or found yourself having more fun in the rain, you’re one step closer to dropping it. There’s a nice short game in there padded out to boring lengths. It reminds me of Sunless Sea.

• Upvote 1

I've just started my second year on Stardew, and while it is indeed crazily addictive, I can see my time with it coming to an end fairly shortly. I've fully upgraded my house and have a pretty much automated crop system now. My checklist before I finish is:

- Complete the community centre

- Get to the bottom of the mine

- Build every type of building

- Bone Leah

I reckon that's doable by the end of year 2. Maybe even by the end of summer. I can't be done with the RNG nature of fishing or relic hunting.

Also, I wish there was the ability on the Switch to zoom out and take a picture of your farm overall, like you can on the PC version. I'm quite proud of my layout and decorations :wub:

21 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Re: Stardew Valley 

But it lasts for ages because there’s so much tedious busywork. If you’ve ever built a sprinkler, or found yourself having more fun in the rain, you’re one step closer to dropping it. There’s a nice short game in there padded out to boring lengths. It reminds me of Sunless Sea.

But aren’t all games tedious busywork? There's no point to any of it. Halo 3 online may make your heart pump faster, but only because you enjoy it.

If you enjoy the padding, you enjoy the game. But every single one simply shaves away the hairs of your human vitality second by precious second - until you die.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, ZOK said:

But aren’t all games tedious busywork?

No.

Edit- basic farm upkeep is a chore, neither puzzling, challenging, surprising or fun. Just repetitive. That’s the tedious busywork. If you could immediately hire somebody to do all that for you, a la Viva Piñata, it would be a fantastic game, albeit shorter.