deKay

Nintendo Switch

4 hours ago, Chooch said:

I feel so old and out of touch these days.  I just don't understand why people want to stream games or why you'd want to watch someone else's stream.

Kids can't afford every game, so perhaps watching someone stream them is one way to see the game.

People like to see someone very skilled at a game. Stuff like speedrun streams etc do very well.

Social aspect, they can chat with others in the chatroom as well as the streamer (if it's that type of stream). Bit like how i used to spend a lot of time on IRC. The game is just a part of it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JPickford said:

Well video capture works ok.

How does it work?

Does holding the button down immediately snapshot the last 30 seconds to be edited later?

Or do you need to hold it down for as long is you want the capture to last?

It creates a clip of the 30 seconds prior to pressing the button. If you create a second clip less than 30 seconds after the first, the latter will only contain footage from the moment the first clip ended.

I hope the other games get updated to support it - I busted a sweeeeeeet move in Mario + Rabbids this morning on the train and was disappointed that I couldn't bore everyone with it on facebook or twitter.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

All down to how entertaining the streamer is and how they present their content. 

I don’t get it either, I don’t have enough time to play games as it is without spending my time watching others play them. 

• Upvote 2

While I’m here, what are the chances of seeing Cuphead on Switch at some point ? Seems like it would be well suited. I’ve put off buying the Steam version just in case....

Maybe I should take this to the PS4 thread - but I have never been able to stream or watch a friend playing a game. It was one of the most hyped features at launch, yet when I try it always tells me my connection isn't up to it - yet I have a pretty solid, standard connection.

Anyway this is a welcome addition to the Switch and MK8 in particular. 30 seconds is decent enough - I don't want them to slow the OS down with feature-creep.

2 hours ago, Nequests said:

For me, watching someone else play a game is like listening to them talk about the crazy dream they had last night. I get about ten seconds in and start wishing for some space debris to come crashing down into my skull.

It's nice that the kids are into it, though. I used to spend ages waiting for Teletext pages to refresh so I could find out about Hybrid Heaven or some shit, so I'm hardly one to judge.

Hybrid Heaven :wub:

I remember levelling up just one of my legs and roundhouse kicking everything into oblivion like some futuristic Chuck Norris. 

• Upvote 3

At the risk of sounding spectacularly dense, how can headphones be both wireless and USB, surely they're either one or the other? 

Edit - beaten. Huh, I always thought the wireless Sony ones were Bluetooth.

3 minutes ago, JPickford said:

So it's just audio out via USB and nothing to do with supporting wireless devices?

Yes, I guess it's really - "Support for USB headsets (of which wireless versions are available)".

2 minutes ago, JPickford said:

So a USB bluetooth dongle would work?

I guess so, would make sense - though it might introduce some lag maybe? I dunno, not technical. I'm not a developer or anything.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chooch said:

I feel so old and out of touch these days.  I just don't understand why people want to stream games or why you'd want to watch someone else's stream.

My dad spends hours watching other people play football.  I don't get the appeal of either that or watching other people play games, but the concept is pretty similar.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I dunno, not technical. I'm not a developer or anything.

Do we know anyone in this forum who is one?

It really is a pity the video stuff wasn't in the game when BotW was littering every Facebook and Twitter feed, but it may turn out to be a bit of a boost for Splatoon 2 and ARMS. Personally, I can't wait to see what people find in Odyssey, there will definitely be some ridiculous Cappy shenanigans to be found. I'm determined to find them!

• Upvote 2

There's a sense of belonging/tribalism/camaraderie/rivalry/family history to football, though, and more so if you go to the match/regular local pub. I understand your point, though: why watch when you can do?

I'd be very interested in the demographics of streamer audiences. I strongly suspect the average age would be thirteen or so, and the average streamer's age is probably early 20s. In former lives, I've taught at primary and secondary level and the kids are obsessed with FUT, memes and Minecraft from about the age of eight to fifteen. The boys will watch streamers open FUT packs for hours. Honestly. That's lunacy, to me, but then the girls will watch 'clothes hauls', whereby a young girl wearing a tonne of make up streams the clothes she has bought online or been sent. They're not watching for the same reasons we might, it's a kind of vicarious fantasy a lot of the time. I'm sure I sound old, clueless and out of touch but just giving my slim perspective on some of the appeal. The social occasion and feeling of shared experience is also a part of it, though, I'm sure. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

5 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

Just tried my PS4 Gold Wireless headphones and they worked straight away. 

I take it you plug the dongle in the dock and only works docked?

43 minutes ago, JPickford said:

So a USB bluetooth dongle would work?

I'm assuming this means that my PS4 wireless headphones (that uses a dongle) would work with the switch at home when docked.  Imma gonna try that tonight