deKay

Nintendo Switch

I suspect the absence of VC is to do with them still trying to sell the mini consoles. Once that's all done and dusted we'll see VC on Switch. The chance of them not trying to sell me SMK for the 4th time is pretty much 0.

7 hours ago, Broker said:

My my kids can play online on their accounts on the PS4 and I’ve only paid for Plus once.

OK, how does this work? Because in order to play online in Minecraft my daughter has to use my account.

Hers is set as a child account on mine. What else needs doing?

They're abandoning the Virtual Console because they're leaving behind everything to do with the Wii's branding, it's a good excuse to get everyone to pay again for Super Mario 64 and the most likely motivator is that companies probably wanted more control over how they sell their back catalogue - like Sega Ages, the Arcade Archives and so on.

The VC was of its time and would've been a great idea if the Wii infrastructure was forward thinking. Fingers crossed the Switch family keeps moving your games forward so this is the last time.

• Upvote 1

They are using the back catalogue to sell the subscription service. Starting small with NES to test the market. If it doesn’t sell, they will gradually add enough games until it is an irresistible prospect. They are going to want the vast majority of the user base on this service, otherwise they are restricting the player base for online games.

• Upvote 3

"They've rebadged it, you fools." 

I also wonder whether the mobile/tablet emulation boom over the last five years or so has affected their approach. No longer is anyone amazed by the mere existence of retro gaming on the go, as we certainly once were.

To make it a more attractive proposition for many (and to charge everyone for some games they won't even play and wouldn't have bought, like PS+), the idea of a subscription service makes a lot of sense for Nintendo and it suits me just fine.

Sony have had a lot of money off me over the last five years and I have probably three games (which I both would have bought and already had done) to show for it. I don't consider the PS+ games 'free' and if they were any good, I would have already owned them.

Maybe that's another tangent. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, deKay said:

OK, how does this work? Because in order to play online in Minecraft my daughter has to use my account.

Hers is set as a child account on mine. What else needs doing?

Did you set the age correctly? Online play needs 7+ iirc/has to be a certain age to play online. I think that is why she cannot play online? Maybe? The one ps+ for online play should work. 

1 minute ago, shynra said:

Did you set the age correctly? Online play needs 7+ iirc/has to be a certain age to play online. I think that is why she cannot play online? Maybe? The one ps+ for online play should work. 

Age is correct and she's over 7 (although wasn't when I set it up).

52 minutes ago, Beezer said:

They are using the back catalogue to sell the subscription service. Starting small with NES to test the market. If it doesn’t sell, they will gradually add enough games until it is an irresistible prospect. They are going to want the vast majority of the user base on this service, otherwise they are restricting the player base for online games.

I think this is spot on. This way they won't damage the profits of indie developers, though they can still offer exclusive discounts to subscribers, and they can use their own enviable and massive back cat to sell the service. They could even introduce Switch games at some point to really give it a boost, especially if they make them time limited.

They're making more money from retro games anyway selling SNES mini and so on. 

The separate app for voice chat is so ridiculous. Why are they doing it this way? What possible reason could they have? I'll end up paying £20 for the same functionality online games have now. (no real interest in playing NES games, I'm afraid)

• Upvote 2

Proper voice chat would make it worthwhile, I reckon. I play £40 or £50 for Live and PSN and rarely make use of the free games, so £20 for a full functioning online offering and party system (will switch even have that?) would make it worthwhile.

Is the switch so underpowered it can't handle voice chat in the background? I doubt it

17 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Proper voice chat would make it worthwhile, I reckon. I play £40 or £50 for Live and PSN and rarely make use of the free games, so £20 for a full functioning online offering and party system (will switch even have that?) would make it worthwhile.

Is the switch so underpowered it can't handle voice chat in the background? I doubt it

I'm 99% sure the Vita had voice chat.

22 minutes ago, Strafe said:

God knows but when you look at the solution being offered with wires all over the place there must be some issue. It baffles me that it wasn't thought about during the initial planning and design.

I understand why they would restrict voice comms to friends lists (safety/language, etc.) but I still don't understand why they restrict it to the app/phone except 'Japanese guys don't accustom to voice chat' and so they don't give one.

I'm surprised that anyone would begrudge twenty quid a year (!) to play online, though, when many of their biggest games are/will be online multiplayer and you pay more than double that for PS+, only for a load of shite games and regular service dropouts and maintenance.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Broker said:

My my kids can play online on their accounts on the PS4 and I’ve only paid for Plus once.

You only have to pay this once - the £31 family membership will cover up to 8 people, across multiple switches even.

Think of the £18 option as discounted if you only want single user, and the £31 option as if you want more open access for multiple people (on one or multiple Switches) - still half the price. If anything it's a more flexible model really.

I've made it very clear in this thread that I don't like what Nintendo are doing - I'd rather they just stay as they are and free. But, with that said, at least they have gone in cheap and appear to be making noises that more is to come (more games already confirmed, more offers/discounts etc). I mean at £18, if they offer even £3-4 off a few games here and there it's not going to take long to rake back the cost almost entirely anyway.

Changing the subject, has anyone's Switch been bricked by using a 3rd party dock like the ones a few of us picked up on Ebay, or is it just the Nyko that supposedly did that?

Most of us here knew it was coming and they've delayed it a year, so we've had at least a year for free. I think expecting them to carry on offering it for free is a tad naive. 

I don't use voice chat so it won't affect me but it's really shabby.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pavey said:

Changing the subject, has anyone's Switch been bricked by using a 3rd party dock like the ones a few of us picked up on Ebay, or is it just the Nyko that supposedly did that?

I've got an M002 - but I've not had cause to use it since the firmware upgrade...I'd love to hear from anyone else that has.....

To revive that all-time classic discussion about joy con problems; is it only the left one with known issues? My right one seems to be randomly losing its connection recently and I'm wondering if I need to take Nintendo's online advice of 'Basically move everything you own to a separate house to the Switch' or whether it might be faulty? 

3 minutes ago, StephenM said:

To revive that all-time classic discussion about joy con problems; is it only the left one with known issues? My right one seems to be randomly losing its connection recently and I'm wondering if I need to take Nintendo's online advice of 'Basically move everything you own to a separate house to the Switch' or whether it might be faulty? 

Faulty. It's only the left one which had widespread issues.

3 minutes ago, Pavey said:

Ha ha, same. I was hoping you would tell me all was ok!

I'm sure I read that the issue was actually with the power supply - if you're using an official power supply, you should have no problems still.

Why don't you try and it and let us know...;)

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

The separate app for voice chat is so ridiculous. Why are they doing it this way? What possible reason could they have?

Pure speculation, but:

• It makes it easy to have a party chat system that goes between games, which isn't reliant on a large overhead OS that can slow down the console
  • It means that you could talk to each other even when playing single-player or offline games
  • It takes the voice bandwidth off the Switch's online connection, making the latter more stable - and that's particularly important for WiFi or even LTE tethered use
  • It can use the smartphone processor for more advance compression and synchronisation without impacting on Switch performance
  • It saves battery life on the Switch

Lots of home consoles do all this themselves but it's built into the OS and can slow stuff down - you can get around this partially by giving the machine more power.  On the Switch that would cut battery life.

Disclaimer: I've not used the Switch online app.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Hang on the 18 quid option is just for one person not the entire console?   They can double fuck off.

It's for one account. If you only want the one account to go online on a Switch it'll do fine. Think of it as a discounted option if you just want a single user. If you want more than one account to go online, then you'll need the family plan (which allows up to 8 accounts online on one or multiple devices). Or you could pull together 7 friends and split the cost of a family plan even - then it's potentially just £4 each for the year.

I think for stuff like MK8, one account will still be fine in terms of allowing multiplayer (because the others are just guests in that session). But it will be an issue for single-save stuff like Splatoon 2.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, rgraves said:

It's for one account. If you only want the one account to go online on a Switch it'll do fine. If you want more than one account to go online, then you'll need the family plan (which allows up to 8 accounts online on one or multiple devices).

I think for stuff like MK8, one account will still be fine in terms of allowing multiplayer (because the others are just guests in that session). But it will be an issue for single-save stuff like Splatoon 2.

The ONLY thing I'm remotely bothered about is the backing up of saves.   There are 4 of us using the console.  18 quid was already too much for something that should be free.  Now I find I have to pay double.

• Upvote 2

Good old Nintendo. They'll not make you pay for bugger all twice, they'll give you a deep discount on the 2nd lot of bugger all.

I'm just salty because I know I am going to have to pay for this for my kid as he loves Splatoon and Minecraft. His console would become deeply disappointing overnight otherwise. Which then, due to Ninty's sudden embracing of multiple accounts per system, I would then have to pay even more to play myself - which I am not doing. So I guess that's the end of Nintendo online for me. (Will leaderboards still work?)

• Upvote 1

If Nintendo plans this to be partially a Neflix style subscription for their back catalogue you just know they're going to Nintendo it up in some way. They'll probably rotate out the games people really like and leave shit like Ice Climber in there forever.

Can I just buy the ones I want pls?

I honestly don't get the arguments on pricing - it's 1/3 or at worst around 1/2 the cost of the other platforms. It's not free anymore (which sucks), but they've always been clear it was coming - I don't think anyone could have been reasonably expecting cheaper?

And don't forget, you don't have to buy a full year either - you can just pick up a single month for £3:50 if needed (I wonder if you could do that every so often just to create a point-in-time 'save' backup vault as such?).

My bet, some big games like Smash Bros will include a 1 or 3 month code in the box as well.

• Upvote 1