Xbox One backwards compatibility - It's finished. No more releases.

I suspect that the low-hanging fruit of BC have been snaffled already, and the service probably has enough games to keep enough people tied to the Xbox platform (which I would argue is its purpose). I doubt the benefits of encouraging fans of Blur or F.E.A.R. or JSRF to stick with Xbox would outweigh the costs of untangling the various licensing agreements, etc. Shame, because I would love to see Max Payne 3, Condemned 2, Quantum Redshift etc, but I would have thought the benefit to Microsoft of adding more games would be pretty marginal.

29 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Yes, if you've been PS4 only this gen, I could see that. Otherwise, I don't know where the confusion came in. I recall no mention of expanding the BC, which (sensibly) can only be the old stuff coming with you. I mean, I thought licensing precludes some games anyway? 

Not from making them work, only from selling them as I understand it. He's not the only one who thought it would be a total thing :(

Yeah but then at that point they need to question if it’s really worth it for the handful of people that own console and also the game. The cost of getting it working, setting it up, contacting publishers/developers etc probably far outweighs the benefits of doing it, sadly. 

57 minutes ago, K said:

I suspect that the low-hanging fruit of BC have been snaffled already, and the service probably has enough games to keep enough people tied to the Xbox platform (which I would argue is its purpose). I doubt the benefits of encouraging fans of Blur or F.E.A.R. or JSRF to stick with Xbox would outweigh the costs of untangling the various licensing agreements, etc. Shame, because I would love to see Max Payne 3, Condemned 2, Quantum Redshift etc, but I would have thought the benefit to Microsoft of adding more games would be pretty marginal.

35 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Yeah but then at that point they need to question if it’s really worth it for the handful of people that own console and also the game. The cost of getting it working, setting it up, contacting publishers/developers etc probably far outweighs the benefits of doing it, sadly. 

Ah, I think you're both underestimating the importance of getting games like that as a means to advertise game pass. Yeah, they're nich and old but also firm fan favorites. With very vocal fans. Getting those kinds of games on BC just to sell them might not be worth it, but as a way to advertise game pass? They just need to throw it out there that JSRF is coming and they'll have a bunch of free internet buzz marketing for a good while. Do that a few times by spreading out these favourites and you got yourself an excellent way to keep hype levels up all year round in-between the usual announcements and releases.

I would be surprised if the BC team isn't back on the case once the series consoles have launched and everything has been smoothed out. It's an obvious way of filling out the game pass offering.

17 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

This is the problem. When they were making all the noise about BC on the X and with them discontinuing this program I somehow thought that meant they were working on a total solution to get EVERYTHING to work. I want Outrun, Sega Rally, DoDonPachi, Burnout 2, Otogi (yes most of these are sega games).

Christ knows how I came to that conclusion. Bah.

Half the internet did, it was deliberately wooly wording on MS' part.  "Access to 4 generations of Xbox games" or something.

17 hours ago, Quest said:

I imagine they'll start up the BC program again at some point, if only to feed the eternally hungry Game Pass subs.

Edit: Wot Bojangle sed.

They've said they will but they said that when the Xbox One came out and our library of Xbox Original games on One ended up being massively smaller than on 360.

17 hours ago, Bojangle said:

I just want Jet Set Radio Future. Imagine that upscaled and the hardware level HDR enabled... :wub:

You won't get JSRF, it's a hellscape of music licencing.

It's all such a cow, in researching a video for YouTube I discovered Sega don't have the rights to the Sonic the Hedgehog theme from the original, which is why they don't use it anymore.

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You won't get JSRF, it's a hellscape of music licencing

Maybe. Probably. What gives me hope for this and other games is that it would be Microsoft's team sorting out the issues, not Sega. If we had only Sega to depend on, as much as I love some of their games, it would never ever get sorted for sure. See also Yakuza, if it wasn't for Sony's dedicated team that sought out such games and helped bring them over, Sega would never have bothered with Yakuza 5 or Zero in the west. It would never have become the success it is now. Sega needs help every now and then.

There must be some technical reason why so few original Xbox games were added to the Xbox One BC list. I can't imagine why else they'd add stuff like Jedi: Starfighter and Red Faction II - games that weren't even very good at the time, let alone now.

2 minutes ago, K said:

There must be some technical reason why so few original Xbox games were added to the Xbox One BC list. I can't imagine why else they'd add stuff like Jedi: Starfighter and Red Faction II - games that weren't even very good at the time, let alone now.

I suspect once again licensing and also the team was most likely put on Xbox series duty shortly after they started with Xbox OG games. Don't forget OG games came much later. Apart from getting the games running they also need to be rigorously tested. It could very well be that at some point they simply ran out of time. Just a theory.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I suspect once again licensing and also the team was most likely put on Xbox series duty shortly after they started with Xbox OG games. Don't forget OG games came much later. Apart from getting the games running they also need to be rigorously tested. It could very well be that at some point they simply ran out of time. Just a theory.

There must be an element of balancing technical difficulty with licensing, but I struggle to see why you would bother to add games like Bloodrayne II unless you had no option. The 360 games had a much better balance of stuff that's on there to make up the numbers, and stuff that is actually good, which would suggest to me that there was some technical issue. Unless it was harder to license games because they're older, I guess. I wonder who owns the rights to Burnout 1 & 2 now that Acclaim are dead and buried?

16 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ah, I think you're both underestimating the importance of getting games like that as a means to advertise game pass. Yeah, they're nich and old but also firm fan favorites. With very vocal fans. Getting those kinds of games on BC just to sell them might not be worth it, but as a way to advertise game pass? They just need to throw it out there that JSRF is coming and they'll have a bunch of free internet buzz marketing for a good while. Do that a few times by spreading out these favourites and you got yourself an excellent way to keep hype levels up all year round in-between the usual announcements and releases.

I would be surprised if the BC team isn't back on the case once the series consoles have launched and everything has been smoothed out. It's an obvious way of filling out the game pass offering.

Equally, I think you are probably overstating the impact any announcement would have, either in the media or with fans.

There's a minority that would love certain Xbox/360 games on there, sure - but they are unlikely to be enough to generate any material impact on sales/subscriptions (which is the whole point).

As an example, let's assume somebody already has an XBO or is going to buy a XSX or XSS. They are either going to sub to GP (or already have), in which case you don't need to add to the appeal by adding OG XB/360 games, as they are already invested in the system - or they aren't interested. Now the chances of the 'not interested' population being swayed by 10/15 year old games appearing is likely to be incredibly miniscule, but even supposing they do exist in numbers, I doubt MS would want to invest time and money trying to capture what would be a very transient audience which had already proved (by not subbing) that the overall offering doesn't appeal - so they are unlikely to stick around.

I just don't think there's anybody sitting there thinking "If only they had game X on there, I'll sub."

I don't think any one BC game on its own would have the effect you describe @Gabe, not in terms of something deciding to subscribe. What I meant was that it accumulates, in addition to everything else Microsoft keeps a bit of buzz going by also dropping these old favorites into the cornucopia of game pass. It fills out their offering and adds additional incentive to those people who are already paying attention because of the price or some AAA release or whatever.

There was a fitting recent example right after the series S reveal. Fellow friendly Dutchman Cyhwuhx expressed his interest in the series S due to the big bargain it turned out to be, but couldn't think of any Xbox game in addition to that to justify it further - until he remembered SSX Tricky, enhanced and glorious on current Xbox. An old favorite which added a bit more incentive to place an order. 

That kind of proves my point though, @Mr. Gerbik - as you say, he was already interested due to the price before remembering about SSX Tricky - so that being there cannot be, by what you have written, a major influence that tipped the scales because he must've been interested in something else  either available or announced, unless you really are saying that he was going to buy a console that had no games he wanted just because it was cheap.

So at best it's a little sweetener that is a pleasant bonus.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be great for more games to be available - but whilst I'm invested in the GP ecosystem (I have GP on PC), they wouldn't impact my current stance of not looking to get a next-gen Xbox.

There were a lot of people who took Microsoft's original announcements as meaning that every game from all previous generations would work.  This could have been the case if it was true backwards compatibility - that is, making the XsX/XsS act as an Xbox/360/One when the appropriate disc was inserted.  After all, there were no licensing issues when looking at DS to 3DS compatibility - both for game carts and dowloads - or Wii to Wii U, or PS to PS2.  It's only because Microsoft aren't using the original game data and are modifying it in some way within the game files that this whole issue arises.

If Microsoft could develop an Xbox or 360 emulator that ran on the XsX, that just ran the code off the original discs or original downloads, then they wouldn't need to worry about licensing issues.  I wonder why they didn't do that.

4 minutes ago, Xevious said:

There were a lot of people who took Microsoft's original announcements as meaning that every game from all previous generations would work.  This could have been the case if it was true backwards compatibility - that is, making the XsX/XsS act as an Xbox/360/One when the appropriate disc was inserted.  After all, there were no licensing issues when looking at DS to 3DS compatibility - both for game carts and dowloads - or Wii to Wii U, or PS to PS2.  It's only because Microsoft aren't using the original game data and are modifying it in some way within the game files that this whole issue arises.

If Microsoft could develop an Xbox or 360 emulator that ran on the XsX, that just ran the code off the original discs or original downloads, then they wouldn't need to worry about licensing issues.  I wonder why they didn't do that.

It's also because they're publishing it on a different store, ie making it a new console release. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's also because they're publishing it on a different store, ie making it a new console release. 

Are they really though?  Let's say I buy a copy of Burnout Revenge off the Microsoft Store - that isn't console specific.  And they could even restrict it to games that you bought on disc, or buy on the previous console online store, if they had a general enough emulator.

1 minute ago, Xevious said:

Are they really though?  Let's say I buy a copy of Burnout Revenge off the Microsoft Store - that isn't console specific.  And they could even restrict it to games that you bought on disc, or buy on the previous console online store, if they had a general enough emulator.

I'm pretty sure it is. That's why you can't buy BC games on the app. Used to be until last week or something that you couldn't even see the price of BC games on the store page on the Xbox One. You had to select the game, then see price, it would connect to the 360 store and take surprisingly long to pull down that info. It's also why any store credit you had left on the 360 version of the store, you couldn't spend on the Xbox One version of the store - had to do it on the 360.

I think you misunderstand me.  I am not arguing that is how it is currently set up; but I am arguing that that is not how it needs to be set up.  Sorry, reading it back I wasn't clear.

Full backwards compatibility, if if only with discs and existing purchases, would be an excellent selling point for the console.  If that meant that the XsX had to be able to access the "Xbox 360 store" to validate purchases, then so be it.

37 minutes ago, Xevious said:

I think you misunderstand me.  I am not arguing that is how it is currently set up; but I am arguing that that is not how it needs to be set up.  Sorry, reading it back I wasn't clear.

I misunderstood. But if I understand Microsoft correctly, this isn't and won't be an issue going forwards. The store on Xbox is made so that it's also the store on the Xbox series. So you just buy a game on "Xbox", whichever device you play it on. It was a thing only on the switch from 360 to XB1.