Gizamaluke

Xbox One backwards compatibility - Burnout Revenge is now available

On 05/05/2017 at 10:33, Paulando said:

Can someone add 'Outrun 2 now on BC!' onto the thread title for a laugh.

Lost amidst all of the Shenmue 3, Last Guardian and Final Fantasy VII remake hype is this little nugget.

Big deal for me. 360 was my main console last gen, and I've got a load of games. I'm not convinced though. The initial list of games is small (and poor) and details are thin on the ground. Most suggest that due to the different architecture, the One will emulate 360, but will it be able to maintain FPS? Will it upscale? So many questions.

Anyway, if they manage this, I will buy an Xbox One, so lets cross the fingers and toes. - Edit - THEY SMASHED IT M8S

http://news.xbox.com/2015/06/xbox-microsoft-unleashes-xbox-one-backward-compatibility-game-streaming-in-preview

Current BC games:

https://majornelson.com/blog/xbox-one-backward-compatibility/

A Kingdom for Keflings

A World of Keflings

Alien Hominid HD

Assassins Creed II

Asteroids & Deluxe

Banjo Kazooie: N n B

Banjo-Kazooie

Banjo-Tooie

BattleBlock Theater

Bejeweled 2

Bellator: MMA Onslaught

Beyond Good & Evil HD

Blood of the Werewolf

BloodRayne: Betrayal

Borderlands

Call of Juarez Gunslinger

Castle Crashers

Castlestorm

Centipede & Millipede

Condemned

Crazy Taxi

Deadliest Warrior: Legends

Defense Grid

DiRT 3

DiRT Showdown

Discs of Tron

Doom

Doom II

Dungeon Siege III

Earthworm Jim HD

Fable II

Fallout 3

Feeding Frenzy 2

Gears of War

Gears of War 2

Gears of War 3

Gears of War: Judgment

Golden Axe

Halo: Spartan Assault

Hardwood Backgammon

Hardwood Hearts

Hardwood Spades

Heavy Weapon

Hexic HD

Ikaruga

Jetpac Refuelled

Joy Ride Turbo

Just Cause 2

Kameo

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game

LEGO Star Wars: TCS

Lode Runner

LUMINES LIVE!

Mass Effect

Metal Slug 3

Metal Slug XX

Might & Magic Clash of Heroes

Mirrors Edge

Missile Command

Monday Night Combat

Monkey Island 2: SE

Monkey Island: SE

Ms. Splosion Man

Mutant Blobs Attack

N+

NBA JAM: On Fire Edition

NiGHTS into dreams

OF: Dragon Rising

Pac-Man C.E.

PAC-MAN CE DX+

Perfect Dark

Perfect Dark Zero

Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds

Pinball FX

Plants vs. Zombies

Prince of Persia

Putty Squad

R-Type Dimensions

Rayman 3 HD

Sacred Citadel

Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co.

Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe

Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World

Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage

Shadow Complex

Sonic CD

Sonic The Hedgehog

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Sonic The Hedgehog 3

Super Meat Boy

Supreme Commander 2

The Stick of Truth

Tom Clancys RainbowSix Vegas

Tom Clancys RainbowSix Vegas2

Torchlight

Toy Soldiers

Toy Soldiers: Cold War

Tron: Evolution

Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon

Viva Piñata

Viva Piñata: TIP

Wolfenstein 3D

Zuma

• Your Xbox 360 Titles are Already There: To play one of the supported titles listed above that you already own, simply go to My Games and Apps and download the game to your Xbox One. Or put the disc in the drive, install the game and start playing.
  • Upvote 6

I installed a few from that list that I had on 360.

Super Meat Boy worked perfectly, but N+ has serious framerate issues. Not tried anything else yet (I have Mass Effect and Perfect Dark available to install).

Backwards compatibility had me buzzing in the announcement, and I'm hoping the list swells asap. Dying to play REZ HD in the living room again!

The small inital list of games is how they managed to stop this news from leaking out.

Keeps getting looked over but this allows xbox one users to play with xbox 360 users online which is great.

I've tried Geometry Wars, Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie and not seen any framerate issues or similar - I'm installing N+ to see what it's like now. It's strange seeing the old 360 notifications popping up.

Even amongst the big game announcements from Sony, this still stands out as one of the biggest moments of E3 so far. Kudos to MS's tech team for pulling it off, I'd love to read more about how difficult it was to pull off.

• Upvote 3

do I need to load all my 360 games to ensure the savegames are "on teh cloudz"?

If you want to carry on those saves yes. You can do it by managing saves on the 360 dash.

N+ doesn't quite seem 100% little bit juddery.

Viva pinata must've been a gold freebie at one point - I've never played it but it was available for me to download. Lovely bonus.

Engineer dude explains the process about 50 mins in on the E3 daily show from yesterday - only limitations seem to be license or peripheral related. All your digital titles will show up in your download queue apparently.

On the One's dashboard there is a video about this..it has Major Nelson playing Borderlands so I'm guessing that list will be getting bigger.

For me being able to complete RDR is a plus.....if it gets the vote. And I wouldn't say no to the Orange Box being able to be played again. It's been too long since I have had a good game of Half Life 2.

Even amongst the big game announcements from Sony, this still stands out as one of the biggest moments of E3 so far. Kudos to MS's tech team for pulling it off, I'd love to read more about how difficult it was to pull off.

I agree, though I am pretty cynical about it. Now they're playing catch-up, they want to capture as many "upgraders" as possible, they wheel this out. I bet if they were ahead in sales, this project would still be at the bottom of the in tray.

• Upvote 2

No real surprise, but in case you were wondering:

What we did was essentially built a virtual Xbox 360 console entirely in software. So when you launch a game via Xbox One Backward Compatibility, you'll see that the game first starts up a virtual Xbox 360 console, then launches the title. The work is ongoing as each title requires individual packaging and validation work to enable that virtual console capability, but we're committed to continually rolling out new titles each month.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/emulation-is-key-to-microsofts-xbox-backward-compatibility-story/

• Upvote 1

I hope Dark Souls happens very soon as I gave up on it three years ago as it was too hard for.

Bloodborne has, I hope, toughened me up enough to make another attempt.

Bringing the XBLA library on board will bring me on board.

Bringing Rez HD on board will bring me on board.

Well, pretty much. I had basically zero interest in an Xbone until this announcement but probably would've bought one waaaaaay down the line for peanuts to hoover up the exclusives, now I'll likely get pushed over the edge much sooner and might even jump the next time a tidy deal is on if I'm feeling adventurous. I dread to think how much I must've spent on XBLA games over the years.

• Upvote 2

Half-arsed and two years too late for me.

Credit to MS where it is due. Even if it is half-arsed and two years late, it is still half an arse more and two years earlier than the BC offered by Sony.

It will be interesting to see where PSNow goes from here. MS made a point about not charging people to play games they already own. Will this encourage Sony to make the same concessions with their streaming service? It would be nice if so, forcing manufacturers to implement some form of BC which does not force their customers to repurchase their games.

• Upvote 5

Just FYI the first time you launch a 360 game and the emulator kicks in it has to pull your 360 profile down which can take a while depending on your 360 history and broadband speed. However, once it has done that it looks like it's stored locally so you don't have to do it again and the 360 mini-dash is very speedy so it doesn't spin loading up your achievements or anything.

Also surprised to notice it recognises if you last played the 360 emulator on a different console (you get the "last signed in on another console" message).

• Upvote 1

I worry it will end up like 360 backwards compatibility,underused and of marginal importance. They have to hand code the wrapper to get it to work individually. They've not announced the ability of the One to emulate the 360, they've announced the intention to recode and recompile select games so that they work on the one.

That's a huge amount more effort on their part, and I can't imagine they will do it with many games (like the 360) and It means delisted games like Outrun 2 don't stand a chance.

Backwards compatibility, to me at least, is about preserving the weird and unusual, and unfortunately this method, selects against that.

Space Giraffe, Outrun 2 Arcarde, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Omega 5 - they need preserving. So here is hoping.

• Upvote 7

This was great news and was a genuine surprise. I like that it is up to the devs and publishers as to whether they want their games to be back compatible, but they can do so with no work from themselves, they just need to agree. Going to pick up a couple of the games listed above and give it a try for sure.

Again this is competition that lets us a gamers win. It will in turn have made the minds at Sony think about how they can counter this, what do they do with PSNow, because it will be PSNow that drove MS to do this. The console wars are alive and well and they are being battled out in the best spirits, whilst we reap the rewards.

• Upvote 7

So it's definitely emulating. I wonder if this opens doors for possible future (maybe a Windows 10 feature) PC emulation?

Who needs Microsoft for that, Xenia is being worked on for PC. Microsoft can feel free to bring out an official Xbox emulator, I'd like to play a certain game sequel port again.

If BC with 360 was introduced at xbone launch I would have probably been a Bone owner but I've picked up many of the games I had on 360 since on PC (minus exclusives). This news is two years too late for me. The PSNow proposition Sony are offering looks so shit in comparison to this. Playing a game on local hardware is so much better than streaming and on top you get to play supported games you own for free.

• Upvote 2

Games Journalists: I'm giving you the headline: 'With two steps forwards, xbone one steps back'. Enjoy

Again this is competition that lets us a gamers win. It will in turn have made the minds at Sony think about how they can counter this, what do they do with PSNow, because it will be PSNow that drove MS to do this. The console wars are alive and well and they are being battled out in the best spirits, whilst we reap the rewards.

This is so true. Fantastic from the point of view of consumers, and anything that helps give games and crucially, the ownership of those games, permanence is fantastic. It has really weakened my 'I'm not getting an Xbox One stance'.

I worry it will end up like 360 backwards compatibility,underused and of marginal importance. They have to hand code the wrapper to get it to work individually. They've not announced the ability of the One to emulate the 360, they've announced the intention to recode and recompile select games so that they work on the one.

That's a huge amount more effort on their part, and I can't imagine they will do it with many games (like the 360) and It means delisted games like Outrun 2 don't stand a chance.

Backwards compatibility, to me at least, is about preserving the weird and unusual, and unfortunately this method, selects against that.

Space Giraffe, Outrun 2 Arcarde, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Omega 5 - they need preserving. So here is hoping.

No, they have announced an emulator. The only thing holding it back is games licensing (as they need to distribute a new digital copy). Well that and people not being able to fucking read.
  • Upvote 2

When they added Xbox backwards compatibility to 360 it was pretty limited at first.

It was pretty limited at the end too.

Anyway, 360 backwards compatibility isn't going to make me upgrade to an Xbone. I've already got a device that plays all my 360 games.