Horizon Zero Dawn

Basically nothing -

Patch 1.02 has dropped for Horizon Zero Dawn, delivering a small range of changes and updates. However, for PS4 Pro owners, the ability to choose two rendering modes is now available with users able to favour performance or resolution. Prior implementations of performance modes in the likes of Knack, Rise of the Tomb Raider and the inFamous titles have seen developers unlock the frame-rate, leading to a much faster, but often more jerky experience. On both counts, this does not happen in Horizon Zero Dawn, which opts for smoother performance instead.

Resolution is pegged to 1080p when you enable the 'favour performance' mode, but instead of letting the frame-rate run as fast as it possibly can, Horizon opts to use GPU power to more closely lock to the target 30fps instead.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I was having a poke and noticed in the options you can switch between resolution and quality modes, but the latter doesn’t enable 60fps. What does it enable? The description mentioned advanced graphics features, but I think I’ll stick to 4K resolution, which does help make the map more readable. 

Horizon is a fantastic advert for the benefits of 60fps. Just jump between it and Miles Morales.

From memory (i.e. not entirely reliable) I think DigitalFoundry said that there was virtually no difference between the two modes. They found that Resolution mode dropped a single frame on the PS4 at one point, which didn't happen on Performance mode. So go with Resolution mode if you have a 4K TV.

1 hour ago, footle said:

Horizon is a fantastic advert for the benefits of 60fps. Just jump between it and Miles Morales.

Personally I think it shows the opposite. Playing it last night for the first time since 2017, only now in 4K and with HDR, and it still looks utterly incredible at 30fps.

2 hours ago, footle said:

I have been doing exactly that, and now I have become one of those "I can't do 30fps any more" people. 

1 hour ago, Seamonster said:

Personally I think it shows the opposite. Playing it last night for the first time since 2017, only now in 4K and with HDR, and it still looks utterly incredible at 30fps.

I thought the same when I first got the PS5 as I was playing it until Xmas when I got MM. It’ll be interesting to go back to it after MM, GoT, R&C etc.

I think the best thing to do is just avoid jumping to or from a 60fps open world game in the same gaming session.

26 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I thought the same when I first got the PS5 as I was playing it until Xmas when I got MM. It’ll be interesting to go back to it after MM, GoT, R&C etc.

I think the best thing to do is just avoid jumping to or from a 60fps open world game in the same gaming session.

The problem is that everything else I’ve played, including brief stints on the slightly upgraded PS4 titles, in the last two months is 60fps. Or significantly higher than 30 and VRRed.

29 minutes ago, footle said:

The problem is that everything else I’ve played, including brief stints on the slightly upgraded PS4 titles, in the last two months is 60fps. Or significantly higher than 30 and VRRed.

Yep pretty much the same but I think I only tend to really notice when I swap between games in the same session. 30fps never really bothered me in the past so will be interesting to see if that’s the same now.

It's definitely where the PC version shines - it's so damn smooth at 60fps.

Until you watch the pre-rendered cut-scenes where for some unfathomable reason they've capped them at 30fps and the difference is stark.

Man, I hate pre-rendered cut scenes.

Yeah the PC version looks magnificent and actually runs well now. It's been great playing this at 60fps in 4k on the PC. 

Hopefully they do a next-gen patch for PS5 owners soon.

22 hours ago, superfunk said:

I have been doing exactly that, and now I have become one of those "I can't do 30fps any more" people. 

Playing Dishonored definitive edition which is only 30fps and to top it off has absolutely no motion blur but I found if you just ignore it for a little bit and use Samsung’s Game Motion plus you can at least make it look like a good smooth 30fps.

...then you play Doom eternal and all of that goes out the window.