rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Not in the reviews. but we know that lots of entitled gamers are fucking idiots . So I would expect a bit of Twitter feedback . I mean if Sony had people crying over porting GOW & H:ZD To PC , some are going to be inconsolable over a not line for line remake. 

thankfully though, they don’t matter in the slightest . 

As always with these "controversies" it's a very very vocal minority.

I don't think he'll be happy unless it's shite and he's already convinced himself it's shite.

I don't want to argue with any of you, and I'm not going to keep returning here as I get the message.

It isn't time to discuss this stuff yet and this isn't thread for it.

Edited at the request of Clipper.

36 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Stop this please

There are people who dont want it spoiled and even vague hints at spoilers you have read are all spoilerish.

So take it elsewhere please.

Edited in response to edit from Grindmouse.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I don't want to argue with any of you, and I'm not going to keep returning here as I get the message.

I would be happy to debate in another thread, but I haven't played the game myself yet: also I tried that and it didn't work out.

I bought FFVII on launch 20+ odd years ago, it's a GOAT. I did not get on with supplementary material or subsequent FF games. I was on the fence with this but the demo sold it to me, I was up for it. Now I can't talk about the "controversial" aspect, but suffice to say when I found out on Fri/Sat, it was a megaton level bomb drop for me, on a par with the XBox One reveal or something, I was confident that everybody would have the same reaction: Square have shat their pants.

However, this did not happen - maybe because most people don't want to be spoiled on a 40 hour game, so they don't know or want to discuss this yet. Or, to my surprise they're absolutely fine with it. Fair enough. I expected more people to have my reaction. Maybe when people hit the end of the game they will. Or maybe it all works really well and the game is as strong as the reviews suggest. But it isn't time to discuss this stuff yet.

Yeah dude I think it's better that you either wait for people to play it for themselves or give it a go yourself with a bit of context behind it? Like, if I look at a movie like Interstellar; if you wrote the plot of that movie down for me I would not be remotely interested in it at all. It would sound like the worst piece of shit I've ever heard. Give me the two hours before whatever happens happens and with all of the build up and all of the emotion that's gone into it beforehand and those damn performances and I love it. It's one of my favourite movies. Build up. Context. Happy Mugman. 

What I'm saying is sometimes reading what happens in a thing isn't necessarily the best way to experience it. If someone said to me "Oh go check out the Mona Lisa! It's wicked, it's this woman and she sort of smiles a bit!" Nah mate. When I saw the actual Mona Lisa? Well that was just a lady smiling but I've never really been an art guy. I'm a games guy. And I'm very excited to see how Square have adapted/fleshed out one of my favourite games of all time. I'm also aware that plot wise, the original is a big hokey mess of cliches, bad translations and RPG tropes. It was the character and the quirkiness that shone through, so maybe that'll happen again with whatever they've done to this. I'm pretty confident it will given how much I love the original and how much people seem to be enjoying the new version, but either way I'd say it's worth waiting to experience whatever they've done in context before getting too pissed off about it. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I bought FFVII on launch 20+ odd years ago, it's a GOAT. I did not get on with supplementary material or subsequent FF games. I was on the fence with this but the demo sold it to me, I was up for it. Now I can't talk about the "controversial" aspect, but suffice to say when I found out it was a megaton level bomb drop for me, on a par with the XBox One reveal or something, I was confident that everybody would have the same reaction: Square have shat their pants.

The fact it was going to come out on other formats was never going to be a secret! The reveal trailer said "play it first on Playstation" implying this would be a multi format release. (Also for the story alone Crisis Core was amazing ;) ) 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Stop this please

There are people who dont want it spoiled and even vague hints at spoilers you have read that are  "megaton bombs" and "controversies" and "square shitting its pants" are all spoilerish. Now I know that there is something big and new and it isnt a standard remake apparently.

So take it elsewhere otherwise I (and others) can't read this thread for release day hype posts because people who haven't even played the game want to spoil it for themselves and talk about controversies and drama they havent played! I can go to twitter for that toys out of pram nonsense.

I've edited if you'd like to remove your quote.

• Upvote 1

thanks I have edited my response - leaving only the sentiment about hints to spoilers

Morning All

Yesterday saw a bit too much discussion of how this version of FF7 differs from the original and that led to a lot of division and conflict which I'm sure we could all do without.  

For a lot of people, this game has come as a welcome respite, away from the terrifying reality that lots of people are currently living through. There definitely is a discussion to be had about the development, delivery and denouement of this game, however it would be best served in another thread. It would be appreciated if this thread could be used for discussion of the game and people's enjoyment of it and the other one for the discussion of the responses to its differences, any fallout etc.

The mod team are not looking to close down healthy debate, however it would be appreciated if people could be mindful of others. We're all a little bit more on edge than normally and a bit of compassion and empathy goes a long way. 

I've set up an endgame thread here:-

• Upvote 9

Well said. I’ve been looking forward to this game for years and it’s embarrasing how this thread has got recently. 

well anyway... still can’t wait for Friday!!!!

On 06/04/2020 at 07:42, JoeK said:

I can't wait to play the thing now. I've never thought VII was anywhere near the best Final Fantasy (VI is considerably more impressive on all sorts of levels, XII is possibly my fave, and XV is so bonkers I suspect it's the most memorable one for me), so something to change it all up suits me right down to the ground.

However, as I'm all digital at this moment of time, there's no fucking way I'm paying £60 for it...or any game. That'll need to come down a fair bit. 

I can wait. Bustin' heads in Yakuza sorts out all ills.

Ive never played a Yakuza game. Which one are you playing? Is it good?

If you’re a newcomer to Yakuza the. start with Yakuza 0. The answer to this question is always Yakuza 0.

It can be had for £15.99 on PSN or if you have an Xbox it’s ‘free’ on Game Pass.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, start with 0. 

Be warned, it took me a little while to get the whole gist of the games, but it all clicked and I’ve been hopelessly addicted ever since :)

GameStop's closed, Tesco sells no games, Argos (closed as well) recently moved out of the city centre, SmythsToys closed.

Life's bloody hard in Cork.

• Upvote 1

given the current climate I am looking to get back into longer form games to immerse myself (alot of my gaming recently has been minecraft or short form arcadey VR stuff) . Tried the demo of this as a result but the normal combat just raises my anxiety as it feels super busy - jumping between characters hammering buttons and being shouted at to look for weak spots etc :D

I might try the classic combat and see if that is less stressful.

Otherwise I might just give it a miss for now and try something a bit more plodding in combat pace...

Without wanting to rile anybody, I've sold my Deluxe edition. On the bright side; made a little profit.

Will check it out in a PSN sale at the end of the year.

• Empathy 1

I got 80 quid of shopto credit for 67 quid.

Got it pre loaded and ready to go for the long bank holiday weekend.

I started Spider-Man last night though and I have to say it pretty neat. Might be a good combo to switch between.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

29 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Without wanting to rile anybody, I've sold my Deluxe edition. On the bright side; made a little profit.

Will check it out in a PSN sale at the end of the year.

You didn't play it at all?

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

You didn't play it at all?

I played and enjoyed the demo, but given everything, I'm happy to wait for a cheap digital playthrough.

@grindmouse Fair enough.

I still want to know if this is actually a good game in its own right if you don't care/know about the original source material, or if the appreciation is largely driven by the nostalgia.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@grindmouse Fair enough.

I still want to know if this is actually a good game in its own right if you don't care/know about the original source material, or if the appreciation is largely driven by the nostalgia.

It's hard for me to remove myself from the nostagia, but I think it is very good regardless. It's certainly a heck of an improvement over FFXV anyway. Definitely some issues, not least the padding, but I reckon I'd still see it as a good 8/10 without any experience of the original.

• Upvote 1

I guess I should try FFXV first (as it's on Game Pass) to see if I get on with the style of combat they've gone with. 100GB download though :blink:

12 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I guess I should try FFXV first (as it's on Game Pass) to see if I get on with the style of combat they've gone with. 100GB download though :blink:

Hmm, I dunno, maybe.  I really struggled with FFXV and that's as a huge fan of the series, and on paper it should have been everything I enjoyed.

I guess I just found it quite slow in story and momentum, it took hours to really get going and by that point I was already finding it tough going.  I would like to revisit it.

I found FFXV's combat more frantic than FF7:Remake, also.  Not sure if that's just me :) 

38 minutes ago, sprite said:

Hmm, I dunno, maybe.  I really struggled with FFXV and that's as a huge fan of the series, and on paper it should have been everything I enjoyed.

I guess I just found it quite slow in story and momentum, it took hours to really get going and by that point I was already finding it tough going.  I would like to revisit it.

I found FFXV's combat more frantic than FF7:Remake, also.  Not sure if that's just me :) 

Jesus christ! My nerves were jangling from the constant prompts to DO SOMETHING from the characters - heal now! - Im hurting - hit it stagger it now do big damage use thunder... gaaaaaghhhhhhh

And that was just the demo which is a basically a tutorial - I can't imagine a) How much more intense it is after that or b)  how FFXV is worse than that