RIP Nintendo

deKay

Now if only SEGA had some worthy games.

FTFY

Does this mean we're finally going to get a good iPhone Picross game? I'm in.

Not unless they bundle it with a control pad, no.

You keep saying this as if Nintendo's consoles are nothing but an extra, unnecessary machine with extra, unnecessary controllers

They are.

whilst the truth of the matter is that their hardware is often the loveliest looking and the smallest (which is very important to a lot of people)

Which must be why nobody buys them.

and their controllers are often the best, most diverse and most innovative. Their current controller is the only one that manages to be both a tablet AND a proper controller, FFS.

See above.

Out of all the three consoles makers, Nintendo deserves the keep making their own machines the most. Let the studios of Sony and Microsoft go third-party; it would make a lot more sense.

Except that Sony and Microsoft consoles actually sell to the public and attract lots of third party games. While Nintendo consoles only sell to an ever shrinking group of loyals, and even then second or third console next to their 'main' console to play the handful of Nintendo games they don't want to miss out on.

Look, if Nintendo were really so great at this stuff as some claim, we wouldn't even be having this discussion because there would be no need for them to branch out. They are great at making a very typical and unique type of games, but as platform holders and hardware developers they're largely rubbish.

It doesn't manage to be a tablet though, does it? Not really. I mean, compare it to any cheapo Android tablet and it can't do half the stuff they can and I think that's why the Wii U bombed a bit. They saw this huge surge in popularity for tablets and they assumed people would be all over a Nintendo one which was hugely limited compared to any other tablet on the market.

Nintendo peaked creatively with the N64. Apart from a few bright sparks here and there (Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports) but it's been largely downhill ever since. Huge dollops of polish doesn't hide that reality sadly.

I think this is a great move for Nintendo, maybe the change of interface with a proper touch screen will reignite the old creative juices.

Yeah, the best stuff always sells the most, right? I mean, the film and music industries have proven that over and over again. Right?

Yeah, or the Wii...

My point is that Nintendo used to be number one creatively and commercially. Now it's mainly rehashes on underpowered hardware with gimmicky controllers. Nintendo ended up in the position they are now due to stubbornness and reluctance to move forward in the right areas when everybody else did and instead focusing on stuff nobody gives a toss about.

That's not what I'm debating. I'm merely saying that Nintendo deserves their own hardware the most, not that they're the most popular right now. They clearly aren't.

Their hardware has been rubbish for ages.

If it was Microsoft or Sony announcing this, people would not be saying "the company's dead". They'd be calling it a bold new venture and looking forward to the results.

But because it's Nintendo, people will bring out the old arguments (reusing characters, no new ideas) and beat them over the head with it.

I've been thinking about what made me go from someone who in August 2011 completely believed that Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing to someone today who doesn't feel that way at all anymore. I'm trying to pinpoint a few things:

In August 2011 Super Mario Galaxy 2 had been out less than a year and they hadn't let the Mario games stagnate as badly as they have now

In August 2011 I felt Nintendo's account policy was embarrassing, but not pathetic like I do now

In August 2011 Skyward Sword hadn't come out yet

In August 2011 the Virtual Console was poorly supported, but after they fucked me over with Earthbound (in the process of fucking Earthbound over yet again) I lost all faith in the VC, and the way they've given up on the Wii U version is pitiful

Oh Nintendo :(

But you can do that on a PS4 with a Vita and can soon do that with Xbox One games to a W10 PC or tablet.

Completely different. The pad gamescreen is superb. It's perfect for me. It's all in one unit.

God knows what this new 'console' will be. Perhaps a mobile Wii U you can take out of the house.

If it was Microsoft or Sony announcing this, people would not be saying "the company's dead". They'd be calling it a bold new venture and looking forward to the results.

But because it's Nintendo, people will bring out the old arguments (reusing characters, no new ideas) and beat them over the head with it.

Microsoft famously have a fully featured mobile play (that's failing, but that's by the by).

How is their hardware rubbish? Repeating it won't make it true. My 360 has broken down on me more times than I would like to remember, my PS3 has YLODed once, etc. All of my Nintendo machines still work. THEY STILL WORK.

Rubbish in the sense that it's underpowered mainly. Or not fit for purpose. Once the smoke and mirrors of the Wii fell away it was clear that it was a shit, imprecise control method that even the Motion + couldn't really fix. Or 3D that needed 3 generations before it actually had a sweet spot larger than an inch. Or a GBA that needed the light of 4 suns to be visible until they fixed it with the SP. Or what about the diabolically bad battery life on the 3DS range. Not including chargers with new handhelds. Not being able to play Wii games using the gamepad controls on the Wii U. I could probably go on for a while.

I agree that the stuff they make is usually reliable, although I had a Wii break on me and various first gen handhelds had issues like tearing hinges, scratched/stained screens due to bad clamshell design etc.

I disagree with the motion controls being shit by default, a lot of games didn't use them properly and a lot of people couldn't think of a good way to implement them. It's subjective opinion but I think some wii games implemented them brilliantly (Namco's The Sky Crawlers had a very intuitive control scheme considering the limitations of the wii).

The problem with all Nintendos features is they don't do dev support and it bites them in the arse. Competitor consoles develop a feature and then y'know, release APIs, documentation and so on so that others can use them, providing a consistent experience across games for the end user.

Nintendo don't do this. With motion control their stance was "we spent years figuring this out, now you can too" - what did this get them? A bunch of games with poor controls, resulting in the reputation of "waggle" as something imprecise and shitty and confusion to this day whether it was the tech or the software. The Wii U "switching the game to the pad screen" thing? Everyone has to do it themselves manually. Result? Games don't do it consistently, and so the gamepad is referred to as "unnecessary" and "underutilised" and even fans advocate it be removed to reduce the price.

They're still operating on the N64 design principle of "it's tough to develop for because it screens out bad devs", not realising that the definition of a good dev is someone who makes a good game, and not someone who wades through Nintendos deliberately inefficient bullshit to cater to a small unprofitable market when there's a wealth of alternatives.

Save your breath, Sam. If Nintendo have a success it's because customers are idiots, and if they fail it's because they're morons. And there are no good games on any 21st century Nintendo console, and nobody in the world bought them. Perhaps if they made their interface as intuitive as a mid-1980s drum machine and games about pedantry and hating fun they'd be good.