VN1X

Giant Bomb Fan Club

The problem with GB playing online games is they always seem go into them cold. No research whatsoever. That gives the potential for hilarity but more often just lets them complain about things they don't know.

That NMS stream was fucking terrible.

I'm in full agreement with the above. I've found any content that includes Ben, Abby or Vinny (really unfortunate to say), to be completely unwatchable. So that makes up a good 90%+ of their content. The only thing I still enjoy is "All systems Goku"

• Empathy 1

I used to watch the QLs for games I was interested in and listen to the podcasts, now I just listen to the Beastcast but more for general background chat than any info. 

Vinny seems to have little interest in most games now but is entertaining with Jeff B. Alex’s cynic schtick is a bit tiresome but he’s okay and Dan brings some genuine enthusiasm about games. Abby I can put up with usually. 

I used to to find the QLs really useful but can’t watch them if they have Ben in now. I’m sure he’s okay but, like vitamin B supplements which I’m sure some people get on with, I just can’t because I’m allergic. He just really sets me off within seconds. My girlfriend sometimes watches GB stuff but really can’t stand him which might be a little strong but suggests there is something about him that annoys not only misanthropes like me. He seems nice I think, but not for this. Also, if Abby is on the east coast QLs, she tends to change the tone from gently informative to constantly trying to be funny. I preferred it when it was two people, one calmly explaining a game to the other. 

I think they've tried to change things up and go ‘younger’ or something but the people they’ve gone for don’t have enough knowledge or enthusiasm for the medium they’re covering and the old hands are sounding increasingly jaded. 

Ben is just a vacuum. He's got irritating mannerisms, a dreadful sense of humour, isn't blessed with a good voice and thus just tends to undermine everything he's involved with. Unfortunately he's also taken on the old Klepek role of 'appear in everything', only more so because it appears that Ben doesn't actually do anything. At least Klepek occasionally was busy pretending to be a journalist. Ben's a really bad presence in everything, which seems to make him uniquely unqualified for the job. You can only assume he's got the job because Jeff bizarrely likes him and presumably because he's cheap.

I don't listen to the Beastcast anymore as I only really like Vinny and Alex (I find Dan's schtick incredibly tiresome) but I can't imagine Abby brings much to it. I don't mind Abby, certainly compared to Ben, but I do feel like she's only tangentially interested in games and would run out the door instantly if someone gave her a job in comedy (which is unfortunate because she's not that funny and improv is a dreadful art form).

Giantbomb really does feel like it's running out of steam.

• Empathy 3

Think Dan is my favourite, at least when he's leading the way in a video or when a series was his idea. MG Scanlon was brilliant, as was Sunshine. I wish they'd continued with "Bring your B Game" too as that seemed good from what I watched.

But lately... Oof. There's just nothing exciting at all. Looking forward to the Mass Effect playthrough but is it just going to be Abby & Alex in the videos? I hope Dan and Vinny are also involved.

Abby seems a strange one, in that she really doesn't know much at all about games. Like if they wanted to be more diverse by hiring a woman, they could have picked someone who can relate to what's being talked about. But I dunno, that's just my opinion. The Dream Daddy being included in the top 10 GOTY and the discussions leading up to it still gives me nightmares.

• Upvote 1

It's Vinny and Alex isn't it?

They seem to have diverged the two offices to west being the informative ones and east being the funny ones. I don't think it worked too well - Ben has ruined Demo Derby :(

Vinny and Alex doing Mass Effect should be great!

I still enjoy GB content so I guess I'm weird - but after all this time I still can't stand Ben. Yes, he's ruined Demo Derby. Ranking of Fighters is now also unwatchable. That Garfield stream would have been great without him. He seems like a nice guy, but can't they find him a job behind the camera? 

17 hours ago, Flub said:

The problem with GB playing online games is they always seem go into them cold. No research whatsoever. That gives the potential for hilarity but more often just lets them complain about things they don't know.

That NMS stream was fucking terrible.

Pretty sure a large of part of that is due to the game being kinda shit to watch. Also, having Ben involved means it's automatically going to be a shit stream.

Definitely going to let my GB Premium subscription lapse, but for now, I'm happily watching lots of their old content.

Why, though? It's not like they're a bedroom operation.

Felt like they turned everything on 3 minutes before the stream started.

The cleverly named Mass Alex: Mass Effect show(?) has started. Subscriber only :( They barely produce any content worth watching for a standard member. It's barely worth visiting the site. 

The sub is well worth it.

That series should be good old school classic GB stuff, no gimmicks, no Dan or Abby, just Alex and Vinny playing ME. Should have called it Don't Fear The Reapers, though.

Just to add to the public lynching of Ben; I’ve only really listened to a few Bombcasts since Ben came onboard. I really don’t like the guy at all, his style/ personality distracts from the content of the show. The only times I’ve gone back is when I’ve noticed that he’s not on that weeks cast. 

Beastcast has has been my staple for the past year but it’s starting to grate a bit. Alex actually (and Jeff) really work for me. I don’t know why but Alex’s flog the fuck out of a joke/ over reactions have pretty much disappeared. 

Abby, nice enough person but forgettable. Dan is still captain ignorant (...or is he?) and Vinnie just sounds bored. 

I resubbed a few months back but I don’t think I’ll bother next year. Not unless there’s a bit of a shake up. 

I'm getting used to Ben to the point that I can just about listen to or watch content that he appears in. Tolerable, but still annoying. And he's still so bad at that job. Again, Jan was hired as behind the scenes video producer and he's a million times better in front of a camera, at explaining his thoughts and opinions in a coherent and entertaining manner, and he's way funnier and more charming. I still don't get what Ben is doing there, even if he is their bestest friend irl. 

22 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Fun article, makes you realize how far they've come and how long it's been. Oh god  I'm old now

I don’t know how you can write an article about the history of Giant Bomb and not mention Ryan dying. I used to love the podcast when he hosted it. The riffs he’d go on with Jeff were something else.

4 minutes ago, BongoInferno said:

I don’t know how you can write an article about the history of Giant Bomb and not mention Ryan dying. I used to love the podcast when he hosted it. The riffs he’d go on with Jeff were something else.

I agree and I assumed the writer made a conscious decision not to include that. We're probably never getting another duo that are as amazing together as Jeff and Ryan were.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I agree and I assumed the writer made a conscious decision not to include that. We're probably never getting another duo that are as amazing together as Jeff and Ryan were.

Ryan and Vinny were pretty damn special too.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Chow said:

Ryan and Vinny were pretty damn special too.

Yes, and Jeff and Vinny too. I would also add Dave and Vinny to that list, when it was just the two of them playing crusty old pc games... fantastic stuff. But Jeff and Ryan together were on another lrvel, they complemented each other perfectly.

God, I miss Ryan :(

Now I want to go back and listen to early Bombcast, watch Tang, and also watch Random PC Game.

• Upvote 2