VN1X

Giant Bomb Fan Club

I haven’t listened to it yet, are they really doing that all over again?

I commented on the Hands of Fate 2 Quick Look, my first ever comment on there. Basically pointing out how unhappy Vinny sounded that Dan was showing no understanding or interest.

He kicked it all off straight away when Vinny described it as part action, part table-top.

”Well I know what one of those things is!” 

No! You know very well what both are! You’ve played D&D, you know full well that it’s played with dice.

Here’s my pitch for a new feature in the slim chance that anyone connected with GB is reading.

Remember a film with Michael Caine called Educating Rita? Well make Educating Rykert where they teach Dan to play a pretty simple to begin with table top game. Hearthstone, Hand of Fate 1, Armello maybe even Gwent.

42 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

Well make Educating Rykert where they teach Dan to play a pretty simple to begin with table top game. Hearthstone, Hand of Fate 1, Armello maybe even Gwent.

Dan said on the podcast he's played Hearthstone and understood it.

There's a podcast from a while back in which Dan tells this hilarious anecdote about visiting some relatives during the holidays. There were a bunch of kids running around and Dan had a blast messing with them by pretending not understand stuff. Simple stuff. It drove the kids crazy, got them running to their parents going to all "omg I can't believe he doesn't understand it, hooooowww!!" The longer Dan kept pretending to be stupid, the crazier the kids got. He thought it was hilarious.

I think it was Vinny who said that Dan basically just described his relationship with the Giant Bomb audience. Dan was like, "yeah I guess you're right"

That’s all fine but my main bone of contention is that he ruined a Quick Look for Vinny who clearly cared about wanting to show off a game he liked.

You can really hear in Vinny’s voice how exasperating it is for him and trying hard to steer Dan’s attention back to the game.

Maybe the whole thing is “a bit” with them all in on it, but i’m kind of getting tired of paying to be trolled. 

4 hours ago, Gambit said:

I honestly don't know why it's so difficult for Dan to understand D&D. Vinny did a good job of explaining it but holy fuck he's completely dense.

It's because he's childishly competitive to the point where he can't understand a semi-cooperative adventure where you're trying to "beat" the designer while working within their framework to make it possible. Even though that's what videogames are.

• Upvote 1

There are many things I love about Abby's contributions but the thing I like best is how genuine she comes across. She makes everyone more genuine as well. Even Alex is great now. I love when she starts asking Vinnie job questions on the podcast. About what she should play and even expense reports. She just comes across as having a chat. She also plays the part of the average person finding out about the weirdness of GB for the first time. It's amazing how little she actually knew about what they did. For example not knowing about how long goty conversations were. I think that bring in a fresh perspective that the site needed.

• Upvote 5

48 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Also, there appears to be a MacGruber Film and 40s with Mary Kish coming soon

Is this an actually good film or is just part of Dan's awful movie taste? I vaguely remember it coming out and getting shit reviews.

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

Is this an actually good film or is just part of Dan's awful movie taste? I vaguely remember it coming out and getting shit reviews.

It is shit.

Them playing that trivia game was entertaining enough as a one off, but I hope quicklook style content doesn't start seeping into the podcasts.

It's understandable given all the GOTY stuff they've been doing, but the last few Bomb/Beastcasts have been awful. They are audibly fed up of talking about games and would rather be anywhere else than in the podcast studio again.

I enjoy their GOTY podcasts over Xmas but they seem to have gone a bit overboard this year.