joffocakes

Street Fighter V Arcade Edition - Arcade Version of Arcade Edition announced

I did mostly mess around with Ryu back when the game first came out, just to ultra bronze sort of level before giving up due to connection issues. Same thing with Karin in season 2 but it was realising I wasn't really enjoying playing that ended up being the problem there! I've still been following and watching the game though so I'm not sure I'd learn enough with Ryu to make it worth choosing him over a character I'd be more motivated to play.

4 hours ago, Escaped said:

Birdie's one of the friendliest at lower levels, I'd say, and he handles lag better than most.

Yeah, I know he makes more sense really. I did think about the lag actually, I imagine with Menat you could put in all the time in the world only to see your fancy stuff get blown up by that if you're just playing online. Messing around with her in training mode is so much fun though.

12 hours ago, joffocakes said:

For Birdie you don't necessarily need to use bullhorn a lot in neutral when learning; his cr.mp is one of the best anti-air normals in the game and you can often mix people up with an attack or command grab after.

Thanks. Using that method above you pick a tool to get around fireballs and maybe get a bit of damage in the process at the right distances. Birdie has quite a few options there and I guess mixing them up will be a large part of learning him but I figured if I had to pick one to get used to right off the bat I might as well start with the one that feels awkward to me and try to make it second nature while I'm not juggling other stuff in my mind. It's not very safe but then the other options aren't either. Cr.mp is obviously your anti-air and I'm feeling like st.mk is maybe the most balanced initial choice for poking/controlling the space in front of him.

I'm not expecting to win much playing like this by the way so I probably could've picked either as far as initial 'success' goes! Just going to add in one thing at a time as I go along.

• Upvote 1

I accidentally came across a documentary called living the game because they were showing it on my flight to Europe and there was nothing else worth watching... It's absolutely great. There's a really good breakdown of the Daigo vs Wong Evo moment, and some really interesting insight into pro gaming via guys like Luffy, momochi and gamerbee. Would totally recommend it!

• Upvote 2

Arcade Edition is on sale for £20 on PSN; that's the game and all twelve Season 1 and 2 characters included.

Been enjoying Cody a lot lately. Now that I have a few ways to pressure after knockdown and some counter-hit combos he feels like a brute. I'm sticking with VTrigger 1 for now but I'll inevitably switch to VT2 once I'm confident enough in his general playstyles to feel less guilty about robbing wins with filthy pipe gimmicks.

Had some excellent first to five sets against @IgTerminals over the past few weeks. Getting in on that VT2 Guile is a nightmare. But a fun nightmare.

• Upvote 1

On 29/07/2018 at 10:12, joffocakes said:

Had some excellent first to five sets against @IgTerminals over the past few weeks. Getting in on that VT2 Guile is a nightmare. But a fun nightmare.

Been loving our sets, dude. Your Cody is brutal. We'll have to get some more fisticuffs in soon. 

• Upvote 1

Would people recommend this, SF4 or the 30th anniversary edition for casual local play with mates?

In other words, which will button mashers have the best time with? Haha.

I'd say 30th Anniversary just because there's so much to try, whereas if you don't get on with IV or V you're kind of stuffed.

A lot of the games on there hold up really well, and even the likes of SF1 have unintentional comedy value ;) 

• Upvote 2

I think USFIV is the best choice because it has a huge number of characters and is far more lenient on input than the earlier games featured on the 30th Anniversary Collection. Plus it's likely to be cheapest (it was £6 on PSN recently).

Anniversary Collection does benefit from having a greater variety of gameplay styles though. Plus parries in SFIII are fun, even if it's just the occasional fireball.

I've always found Tekken (or Soulcalibur!) to be the more satisfying fighter for just mashing buttons casually though.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I think USFIV is the best choice because it has a huge number of characters and is far more lenient on input than the earlier games featured on the 30th Anniversary Collection. Plus it's likely to be cheapest (it was £6 on PSN recently).

Anniversary Collection does benefit from having a greater variety of gameplay styles though. Plus parries in SFIII are fun, even if it's just the occasional fireball.

I've always found Tekken (or Soulcalibur!) to be the more satisfying fighter for just mashing buttons casually though.

23 hours ago, andygt said:

SFIV because it’s the best game ever

On 31/07/2018 at 18:55, Qazimod said:

I'd say 30th Anniversary just because there's so much to try, whereas if you don't get on with IV or V you're kind of stuffed.

A lot of the games on there hold up really well, and even the likes of SF1 have unintentional comedy value ;) 

Thanks for the advice. I ignored it all and got SF5 arcade edition, haha, SF4 is £20 on psn at the moment so no different.

It seems really good so far, all the old combos are the same, all the inputs are quite forgiving. It'll definitely do the job! I like the team battle mode in particular.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to Evo but I have booked Monday off work and will be hosting fighting game sessions at my place all weekend with various local FGC friends visiting. Evo is known as FGC Christmas in my circle of fighting game mans as it's a good time to get everyone together and it usually brings people we haven't seen in ages out of the woodwork.

• Upvote 3

Don't forget - if you want to chat with other forum fightmans during the tournament, there's a Discord below :) 

On 06/04/2016 at 23:24, Jonster said:

Turns out I may have set up the discord link with an expiry time. Oops. 

This one: https://discord.gg/0viBAEH3zEqRYlb0 should never run out. 

• Upvote 1

I bought this at launch and enjoyed it but drifted away after a few weeks due to a combination of my own lack of skills and the game's lack of single player content. So now I've bought the Arcade version for 20 quid in the sale* and I'm enjoying it all over again. There's been so much added since the original bare bones release. I particularly like the missions (if that's what they're called) which are a bit kinda sorta like my beloved VF4Evo Quest mode.

I've got about 180,000 in FM, what should I be spending it on?

*I got a £20 code from CDKeys for £18.99, but I already had a tenner in my paypal account that I won in the rllmuk world cup sweepstake, so in fact it only cost me £8.99. Bargain of the year!

Looks like the FM is used for all the unlockables in the shop, so just get what you fancy.

You can buy season 3 characters for 100,000 each, so getting Blanka and Sagat soon is my plan.

Stages, costumes and other stuff are on there too, bit ridiculous how much it all costs though.

• Upvote 1

I keep getting matches against level 0 rookies (as I'm still a rookie myself) but they often turn out to have mad skills and completely destroy me with me hardly making a scratch on them. Is this experienced players making new accounts just to get some easy wins against newbies, or what?

10 hours ago, krenzler said:

So who do you WANT to take EVO and who do you THINK will do it?

For me the answer to both questions is Daigo. :)

I really really want Daigo to win Evo this year. He's playing good old fashioned Streetfighter in a game that has made that very difficult. I absolutely love seeing the stream chat getting angry about him "spamming" Sonic Booms. It's a shame he can't do it with Ryu but I'll take what I can get. I think he has a great chance. A gigantic 2/3 bracket has never been his ideal format, but he is in te best form he's had since SFV dropped, he has learned to fight Cammy effectively *and* he can beat Fujimura, who looks unstoppable against almost everyone else.

Aside from that I want my usual favourites to do well. Justin, Bonchan, Ryan Hart, Problem X, Infiltration, Tokido, Xian etc.

Ideally not Cammy please. I'm less bothered about her strength than I am about how deeply, deeply dull she is. I think part of the problem is also that I still don't know much about Verloren or NL as personalities, so I struggle to get invested in their matches on that basis too.

Oh, and I *think* Fujimura will win it. I wouldn't be terribly excited by that result but, despite Daigo figuring out how to beat him, I still think he's the favourite.

Would also like to see HookGangGod win Dragonball. I think it's only just sinking in now that there will be no main stage Mahvel though. That is such a shame. :(

• Upvote 2

I want to see Tokido or Problem X win (uh, preferably with some Bison shenanigans over Abigail). I've always really liked watching Tokido play and he seems very humble for someone so talented.

Infexious makimy top 8 (or even 32) with Zeku would be delightful.

Forgot it was this weekend. I have family staying. I did this last year too ffs. 

Rooting for Daigo also. I still struggle to get invested in watching this game so am just in it for the players. I hope no one under 25 makes top eight because children are the worst. 

3 hours ago, Darren said:

I keep getting matches against level 0 rookies (as I'm still a rookie myself) but they often turn out to have mad skills and completely destroy me with me hardly making a scratch on them. Is this experienced players making new accounts just to get some easy wins against newbies, or what?

I just watched your latest replays on CFN and no, they're definitely not smurfs. Some things Ken does can seem incredibly oppressive but that 0LP one was just throwing things out at random and getting lucky.

For Ken in Rookie/Bronze just wait for the inevitable, full-screen tatsu and get used to timing a Shoryuken to punish it (I say timing; you can just mash it out while you block).

Learn to anti-air more consistently and you'll beat most players in this league by being patient and using Shoryuken. Practice until you're consistent or use crouching hard punch if you're not confident.

Learn a combo you can use if you block a Shoryuken too; Ryu's Hard Kick will crush counter and you can do mp>hp>hk for damage. There's better, but that combo can just be mashed out for easy damage.

Good luck Street Fightin!

• Upvote 2

Worth noting the shortcut for doing a dragon punch from a crouch too if you're not aware of that. You can be crouch blocking then quickly do down-towards, down, down-towards+punch, it tends to be quicker than doing the full motion which will momentarily stand you up.

That video I posted on the previous page is worth checking out if you're just starting. That guy made it through the first couple of ranks just with those five moves before feeling the need to add to it. Good way to really ingrain a character's basic gameplan into your mind I think.

• Upvote 2

Xian and Fuudo will be having a shadowverse/street fighter show match in 25 mins, streamed on cygamesesports just fyi!

EDIT: it's actually on crosscounter and beast tv...

Problem X winning with mostly Bipson would make me about as happy as Daigo winning. His Bipson is wonderful. 

• Upvote 1

Any good tips to get a good connection on this on PS4? SFIV is perfect but this is always a mess, NAT is open for PS4 so struggling to find the issue.

Also on Evo, Justin Wong will be doing a walk around of the show that will be streamed on either cross counter or beast tv, about three hours from now.

highlight of today was Valle’s blanka for me. 

Aside from the vf5 side tourney:wub:

though it it breaks my heart to see ohsu there taking pictures and not playing vf

Because I'm an old man who can't stand teabagging in Street Fighter

seeing Punk and Nuckledu have their pants pulled down by an Alex and the aforementioned Valle Blanka pleases me.