Another ZX Spectrum device indiegogo fundraiser

SeanR

8 hours ago, deKay said:

Martijn? He "ran" WOS as a hobby thing on his company servers. Maintaining, updating, etc. became too much so he handed the keys over.

That was about 10 years ago now.

Lee was supposed to be updating it. He spent years pissing about changing the forum and not fixing the linking issues to media (caused by a site move, I think). He's had plenty of offers of help. That ZXDB site is pretty much a drop-in replacement for WOS as is, but no - Lee doesn't want it for *waves hands* reasons. And since Lee has locked down the FTP, nobody else can move the data en-masse to replace the front-end themselves.

I don't know what his endgame is, if he's stubborn, incompetent, proud, or has some sort of financial reason for just letting it rot, but it's not good.

Christ, *I* could knock *something* up in a couple of weeks if I had all the files. Lee has had years.

There's not that much stopping you. You could take the ZXDB and link it to the TOSEC games collection - there's only a few games where permission is not allowed - Ultimate, Capcom licensed games, Activision/Electric Dreams, Thor/Odin (and the games developed by them) and Jonathan Cauldwell's games (as they're still commercially available).

WOS as a service offers not that much these days (maybe Fogarty realised this and is why he won't release FTP access, because an alternative could be knocked up in a week). I guess the hard thing would be the community/forum aspect.

2 hours ago, JPickford said:

So embarrassing. 

I'm thinking of switching allegiance to C64.

Indeed, the 'baddies' in this are pretty bad but a lot of the 'goodies' aren't particularly good either.

Just seems like loads of people have all totally lost the plot.

There was this post from Lee Fogarty in that WoS thread in reply to him banning people, today at 8:25pm.

"So what do you suggest happens when people join with fakes names, duplicate accounts, etc, then post the utter bullshit coming from FB? Delete the message? No because that's censorship. Leave them too it to run riot across the forums as they have on several online groups? No because then people will complain. Lock the thread? That leads to more opening. Ban them?

Any of the above as long as it doesn't involve calling them out? In 14 days time they will be getting a lot worse. So what is your suggestion?"

So does he know something that's happening in 14 days time that's going to cause the posts getting worse with regards to the Vega+? Hmmmmm... strokes chin.

Set your calendar reminders for the 24th May?

I remember when World of Spectrum used to be good, I spent (sadly) lots of time looking through the 'Permission denied' emails! If i remember rightly, someone from Odin (Nodes of Yesod etc) went completely over the top when he found out their games were on there when the others from the company were ok about it.

Might as well call it 'World of broken links' 

badoomtish

But seriously, the Speccy deserves another resource. LF seems to enjoy having control of it all. He's probably laughing manically to himself in a basement writing on the walls "ITS ALL MINE' surrounded by shells of empty Vega cases.

Er, I've go all the Crash mags in PDF. I could scan some of my Spectrum game inlays.

Baby steps! 

8 minutes ago, moora said:

There was this post from Lee Fogarty in that WoS thread in reply to him banning people, today at 8:25pm.

"So what do you suggest happens when people join with fakes names, duplicate accounts, etc, then post the utter bullshit coming from FB? Delete the message? No because that's censorship. Leave them too it to run riot across the forums as they have on several online groups? No because then people will complain. Lock the thread? That leads to more opening. Ban them?

Any of the above as long as it doesn't involve calling them out? In 14 days time they will be getting a lot worse. So what is your suggestion?"

So does he know something that's happening in 14 days time that's going to cause the posts getting worse with regards to the Vega+? Hmmmmm... strokes chin.

Set your calendar reminders for the 24th May?

Any comments about

editing posts from people he has banned?

6 minutes ago, maryliddon said:

Amazing scenes incoming!

Suzanne Martin is trying to join that Vega+ FB group

Maybe she wants to distance RCL from fogerty before its too late and there's no spectrum community left to want the vega+

heh heh heh

maybe she'll blame the apparent popularity of the spectrum next (nextrum) for causing the delays.

maybe she'll announce that RCL have folded.

[edit]

is she seeking asylum?

Edited by SeanR

A bit off topic, but I noticed that one week ago on the 3rd of May, that Paul Andrews rejoined Retro Games (Behind "The 64") as a Director.  

In a previous comment I made , I wondered how they were going to develop and make "The 64" with only $100k (actually $90K once fees are taken out)

But I have since skimmed through all their updates on "The 64" Indiegogo page.  It seems

1)  They are Not taking a salary, and Indiegogo money has been ring fenced for producing "The 64" for backers.

2)  They got additional funding from somewhere to make up for the shortfall given they didn't reach their Indiegogo funding goal

3)  If they have a shortfall in funding, they said they will make up the difference from their own money.

I suppose that's all good.   Will have to see how it pans out

11 minutes ago, maryliddon said:

I'm kind of sceptical BUT the guy running it was instrumental is getting the C64 Direct-to-TV handheld made and AFAIK got that sold into retail pretty effectively. We'll see :)

Mind you, that was a very unique product at the time, plenty of these retro-inspired hardware campaigns since then.

Busy boy our Lee. Rumours of people being banned from even seeing this group. The person organising this got LF onboard as apparently he 'knows a lot of people'

the Speccy 'scene'is truly a fucked up place at the moment.

IMG_1292.PNG