rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
rumblecat

Inherent Vice

The new one from Paul Thomas Anderson. Lightening up a bit after There Will Be Blood and The Master. Trailer has shades of the Big Lebowski, or at least suggests it might be another worthy entry in the canon of stoned detective movies.

inherentviceposter.png

Limited release Dec 2014, wider release Jan 2015.
  • Upvote 2

The bad news is that judging by previous Oscar-bait movies, this won't turn up in UK cinemas until late Jan/early Feb.

The good news is that Ellen DeGeneres will probably do an Oscar screener rip for us sometime mid-December.

I loved this. It's reminiscent of Lebowski in terms of a labyrinth plot that has many loose ends, not helped by the perpetually doped-up character, but it works beautifully for the period. A time when people were legit looking to astrology and narcotics to unlock their minds and show them the path through life. Similarly, the absurdity of some of the situations and conversations feels completely natural. Anderson is happy to point his camera at the actors and let them talk, and sometimes you won't even catch everything they say, or follow the thread, but it's still a pleasure. It's not the kind of film you come out of able to recite the plot, but it is the kind you know you want (or need) to see again, and soon.

• Upvote 1

Moment to moment this was very enjoyable. But I did come out of it with a 'so what' attitude. It's superbly crafted of course, but just doesn't add up to anything satisfying or lasting

• Upvote 1

I watched this last night. Halfway through I lost patience with trying to make sense of what was going on, and enjoyed it for what it was. Another woozy PTA headtrip of a film. I wouldn't watch it again, despite it's running time it felt fairly disposable.

Very much in The Lebowski-vein, even though it's not close to being that distinctive. I liked it a lot and it didn't feel at all as long as it's 2,5 hour running time. It throws curveballs pretty regularly, especially the second hour is a blast. And even though the plot is more about moment-to-moment effect than logic, it's still very coherent and ties everything up nicely in the end. I don't have the feeling at all that I need a second viewing to comprehend everything, but there's enough reason to come back to at least once more.

This will surely be PTA's most underrated film, seeing the muted reception to it so far. I can understand it: it's stoner haze isn't as emotionally gripping as his other "small film" Punch-Drunk Love or The Master (even though I would say this is better than the latter, which had some truly aimless/boring moments). But it's still perfectly executed and will surely be a minor stoner cult film in due time. And then there's that brilliant scene with Katherine Waterston (Shasta).

I gave up trying to figure out who was working for who and why about halfway through. I definitely enjoyed it and right now I feel like I've just been on a trip, but I agree with Kerraig, it just seemed a bit 'so what.' Did we ever find out who killed the guy at the pussy eating place?

Ugh. Holy shit this was bad. Possibly the worst movie I've ever seen?

Such a shame because Magnolia will always be one of my favorite ever movies but literally everything else this director has done is just awful.

3 hours ago, Tourist said:

literally everything else this director has done is just awful.

Oh fuck.

Boogie Nights. There Will Be Blood. Punch-Drunk Love. Hard Eight, Phantom Thread.  All fantastic.

Was bored and confused by Inherent Vice at the cinema and haven't bothered to watch it since. Ditto The Master, although that had some memorable and intense scenes.

Calling Boogie Nights just awful is offensive.

Fair enough. I haven't actually properly watched boogie nights. But all of those other films you mention are properly rubbish.

• Empathy 1

I think this film is amazing, it;s a hard one to like though, it gives the impression that it's going to be a stoner noir comedy like The Big Lebowski but it is so much more. I recommend reading the book as it is really faithful to it, and to film a Pynchon novel faithfully and as well done as this is quite the feat. It requires several viewings and it never will give you the cheap thrills of a film in the way you would expect it to. It's elusive and almost incomprehensible, it doesn't have montages and feel good sequences, it doesn't even have a proper resolution unless you really read between the lines. It's a fucking amazing film but it's dense and difficult and requires a lot from the viewer to engage and consider what is happening, just like the book

• Upvote 2