Moz

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Heavenly Sword was beautiful pump with console performance issues. Enslaved was beautiful pump with console performance issues. Capcom just about managed to reign them in to make DmC playable and fun. I wonder what they'll manage with Hellblade now they're back on their own. Will they have learned any lessons?

• Upvote 1

Did you play Enslaved on console? The PC port really irons out the frame rate and button lag issues they had if that was the issue. I love it. Loved all their games.

I played it on console and then partly again on PC. It's a mechanically lumpen game in which you can kill every single boss by putting all your points into a single skill and pressing the same button over and over while the boss lies on the floor. And then Andy Serkis pops up at the end and goes "it was all a big vanity project all along wahey". Plus there's that bit with the hoverboard. That's about all I remember, anyhow :hmm:

Enslaved was surprisingly good, the start section was just so deliciously OTT epic in that Japanese-style and the art was gorgeous and it played well, the DLC was also very good. Only one of their games I've ever played properly, the demo for Heavenly Sword wasn't particularly engaging so never tried the full game. Should get around to DmC I suppose one day, it seemed perfectly competent from what I played of the demo version.

I have a lot of love for Ninja Theory, but it mostly stems from a fondness for Heavenly Sword that sometimes borders on the obsessive...

Enslaved was pretty tedious, if truth be known. Thought the artwork and style was lovely, but...boy, Alex Garland stinks as a writer of sci-fi. No-one told him that you can actually make an intelligent sci-fi story without fucking it up so utterly...

DMC - enjoyed it. Didn't think it was brilliant, but once again the art style and the fact that it was pretty rock solid in the gameplay stakes pulled it through.

I desperately want them to survive and have a really big seller though - not least because they're local Cambridge folk and I like home supporting, but also because they are clearly talented devs....don't think they've quite done the perfect game yet, but do think they've got it in them.

Didn't really like Heavenly Sword, didn't like Enslaved (though I might give it another go on the PC sometime) and enjoyed DmC but I firmly believe it was due to Capcom keeping a close on eye them that made that game fun. Let's see if going from DmC (and everything Capcom taught them) to this makes a difference.

People praise them on their storytelling skills, but the end of Enslaved was some Damon Lindelof level shitty writing.

Alex Garland shitty ending strikes again.

• Upvote 1

Heavenly Sword was beautiful pump with console performance issues. Enslaved was beautiful pump with console performance issues. Capcom just about managed to reign them in to make DmC playable and fun. I wonder what they'll manage with Hellblade now they're back on their own. Will they have learned any lessons?

What's 'pump'?

What I played of enslaved had very dull gameplay.

Enslaved was a FMV game for the 21st century. Just press the same button over and over again, with hardly any risk of failure. I never gave it another look as soon as I found out you couldn't even fall off the ledges during the demo.

• Upvote 1

Enslaved was a FMV game for the 21st century. Just press the same button over and over again, with hardly any risk of failure. I never gave it another look as soon as I found out you couldn't even fall off the ledges during the demo.

Right. I'm gonna check out the enslaved thread because I recall (vaguely) the above but I feel alongside that were people saying "but the animation is so good" or some such drivel.

Heavenly Sword was decent; Enslaved was pretty... and pretty awful; DMC was brilliant, my favourite game in its series by some margin. In short, I've no idea what to expect of Hellblade - guess I'd best keep an eye on it!

I dunno - I played it a good while after release (because it was a fiver) - 2009/2010ish - and as much as the six-axis arrow-bending was a pain in the arse, it held up pretty well - a lot better than most of the other early PS3 releases. A dumb, enjoyable brawler; hardly about to challenge Ninja Gaiden, but more than a match for other generic brawlers like God of War, only somewhat less offensively presented.* It's a nothing game, but it was enjoyable enough.

*in 'offensively shit macho anti-hero protagonist' terms, 'offensively pointless gratuitous tits and gore' terms and 'offensive wasting of perfectly good mythological foundations' terms

• Upvote 1

I imagine Heavenly Sword stands up absolutely terribly today, it had all these Sixaxis motion control segments in it, as was mandatory at the time.

Actually, I absolutely loved the six-axis bits in it. The only game I ever played on the PS3 which used it pretty well.

Shooting arrows at the enemies private parts and watching them howl in pain never got old!

Actually, I absolutely loved the six-axis bits in it. The only game I ever played on the PS3 which used it pretty well.

Shooting arrows at the enemies private parts and watching them howl in pain never got old!

Now I thoroughly enjoyed Heavenly Sword, indeed it along with Uncharted were the games that sold me a PS3.

But the six axis bits were bloody awful - even I'll admit that.

Anyway I love Ninja Theory - Enslaved was a terrific romp, if you take it for what it was - a third person slasher take on the Uncharted games with some slightly over pretentious story telling and DmC is the best game in its series (crying shame they aren't getting to have another go at the IP).

So I'm hyped

Yeah, the sixaxis controls were horrible as I remember it. The arrows going all over the place before I just manage to hit a foot. Granted it's impressive to see an arrow doing so many barrel rolls. I also agree with a few others saying Enslaved had a shitty ending, but I still enjoyed that game.

Ninja Theory are going on an all out war to change the gaming landscape. Talk given at Dice today about Independent AAA, and they've stuck this up on their site: http://www.hellblade.com/?p=17227

Basically a canned game with a load of work done on it called Razor. Watched the videos and it looked really good. The UE4 procedural landscape tech looked lovely.

Bit crazy that basically, at first, they were just doing instead of thinking. I mean 'player guidance' shouldn't come as an afterthought for such an accomplished team as Ninja Theory.

Game looks nice though.

They've always been an art-led studio. Figuring out gameplay afterwards isn't new for them. Luckily their design team really do care about gameplay and iterate loads until they get it right.

Hellblade looks brilliant, art wise.