Mr Do 71

Aphex Twin

Video is trippy as fuck, like the music. Kind of bought back memories of the old Artificial Intelligence Warp video from the early 90's

In case anyone wants to take part in a peyote ceremony here it is:

19 minutes ago, Minion said:

Oh it's a goodie! I think the bleep website has crashed for the pre-order, I certainly can't get on it.

It's collapsed!

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mr Do 71 said:

It's collapsed!

Yep both the Aphex site and Bleep are struggling, I'd like to pre order the limited edition mugs version please!

7 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yep both the Aphex site and Bleep are struggling, I'd like to pre order the limited edition mugs version please!

Ditto.

3 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

@Minion Managed to order the ltd edition+cassette, via the Aphex Twin site.

Sweet thanks, managed to get the ltd edition vinyl :)

• Upvote 1

Same! It kept crapping out at the processing payment stage for me on Bleep, after hours of not getting even that far on either site, but the Aphex one worked fine just now.

• Upvote 2

Had a listen to that track on the  previous page and like most of his recent output it's good but not essential. When Come To Daddy and Windowlicker came out there was a real buzz, not least because of the videos and related publicity. It could very well be me being an old cynic at this point, and don't get me wrong this is far from bad. It's more Aphex, it sounds like Aphex, has that style he's settled on over the past decade or so.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

Third movement in that new track is fucking gorgeous, with visuals to match in the video. Lovely stuff.

Yeah, the final stretch is lovely. Everything else sounds a bit same old.

Video is excellent though.

7 hours ago, Purin said:

Abundance being my favourite so far, but all 5 tracks are incredible

Yeah, it's all good. :) 

As for favourites: I still have a lot of love for T69... but I love the rapid beeps and beats in pthex :D 

Enjoying that new EP. It's super manic, almost like Aphex does for modern beats/future bass/etc what he did for jungle in the 90s. Totally deconstructed and made totally Aphex.

Another thing: I have been raiding my memory trying to remember this Aphex Twin bootlegs album I had a good decade ago - found it - http://100dbs.com/mixes/aphex/

Some interesting stuff there, particularly like the Snoop Dogg and Kool Keith tracks. Simple but effective.

I find it hard to believe Warp would go to all that expense and effort to promote a new aphex twin ep*. It's good, but so brief. I should stop re listening to it because its freshness is wearing off. 

*some live dates too, but that isn't unprecedented. He always brings out eps and does some live shows, why make such a big deal this time? 

I guess the amount of output doesn't matter as much as just keeping the aphex twin legend alive. It's funny though that rdj does the least amount of effort for this. 

Rdj is one of the most privileged people to ever live. Mozart had to teach students to get by. 

On 21/09/2018 at 08:16, Loik V credern said:

I find it hard to believe Warp would go to all that expense and effort to promote a new aphex twin ep*. It's good, but so brief. I should stop re listening to it because its freshness is wearing off. 

*some live dates too, but that isn't unprecedented. He always brings out eps and does some live shows, why make such a big deal this time? 

I guess the amount of output doesn't matter as much as just keeping the aphex twin legend alive. It's funny though that rdj does the least amount of effort for this. 

Rdj is one of the most privileged people to ever live. Mozart had to teach students to get by. 

Why so negative dude? Personally I'm extremely grateful he is still producing great tracks when you think how long he's been writing music and how much influence he has had.

On 21/09/2018 at 08:16, Loik V credern said:

Did he shit in your cornflakes?

• Upvote 1

On 29/09/2018 at 14:51, Minion said:

Why so negative dude? Personally I'm extremely grateful he is still producing great tracks when you think how long he's been writing music and how much influence he has had.

Yeah I'm pretty negative, generally.

The positive way to view Aphex Twin is like you said, happy that he's still putting music out there. I think being extremely grateful is a bit much. i don't think he's ever not capable of producing great music. It's so much of who he is.

The negative way is to demand more, as though he owes the world anything. But..he's a musical genius who lives and breathes music. So...that's it, i expect more. With drukqs he was just getting going. Since then he's retreated.

For artists/bands like Bjork/Radiohead who are of the same generation and been doing it as long as him i think they've pushed their music to its limits. Autechre, Venetian Snares have pushed their music more..all happening throughout the 00s.

Richard James' music is really personal to him, he says it loses something when it's put out into the world, but his ego will want to show his best stuff regardless of how personal it is. Stuff like aisatsana and nanou2 show that. And Lornaderek..

I still think he produces all kinds of music. His releases aren't only it. He will will have dark ambience tunes and lots of experimental stuff. He said about 9 years ago or something about having 5 albums ready, and was doing a lot of field recordings.

It's that difference of being someone who wants to give a jolt and shock people and blow them away to one who knows what his fans like and giving them pleasant passive music. His acid is that to me. I think it's a shame that the hype for new aphex twin overtook the actual quality of his output, so it meant overthinking and overanalysing as though something like 180db_ isn't rubbish.

The Tuss is brilliant. Analord has its moments, this new release is fun, still don't like Cheetah (sorry!), and Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 is the only truly [briefly] interesting stuff he's released in 17 years.

I mean..there must be something in him that sees the extraordinary music Autechre and Venetian Snares were putting out in the 00s and being challenged by it and inspired, thinking; 'fuck i want to show how good i can be now'.

That never seemed to happen. Sean Booth has mentioned RDJ in interviews numerous times and it's always like; yeah if anyone is capable of doing this or that then he is. That's the sort of people these guys are; not competitive or macho, but ultra confident and fully into music and the technical accomplishments in achieving the sounds they've gotten. Nothing he's released since drukqs has come close to matching what they've been doing.

Musically he's ahead of them, but they have other attributes and qualities he lacks, or rather they've pushed more and shown it, and he hasn't. I've always thought the numbers stuck on the end of tracks like Cock, Ziggomatic and Synthacon give a good indication of the amount of attempts RDJ had at finishing them, meaning it doesn't come as easily to him. In contrast to Venetian Snares seemingly shitting out 6 minute compositions with ease, using trackers, copy and pasting essentially, but twisting, flipping, cutting endlessly. RDJ's are more varied and rich, but often lack the same punch.

I think they combined the experimental noise with melodic synths more successfully than RDJ has. He separates the two. It's this fixation on tunes i find unexciting. Because of his innate musicality he can do something like Gwarek2 and it's incredible.

The entitlement can go weirder, i don't think he appreciates at all the reach his music has been able to have. He was extremely lucky to have grown up in the period that he did, and lucky that Chris Cunningham's videos had the airplay they did on MTV. He can be paid as much as he is for one off festival appearances through the legend of his name. edit: there might be a 'so?' to that. Well..i think he's coasted on it. I just demand more from him. He's capable of creating some of the most stunning music ever, and released godlike stuff like Rhubarb. It's his own fault.

Still feel a void with Aphex Twin where 5 lost albums should be.

That's just the same pleasant lush acid he's done a hundred times, it doesn't come close to the otherworldly transcendent beauty of Alberto Balsalm, the heartbreaking fragility of The Waxen Pith, the melancholy of Hy a Scullyas Lyf Adhagrow, the thrill of Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michaels Mount, the genius of Vordhosbn, the dreamlike quality of Curtains, the searing jolt of Ventolin, the bittersweet beauty of Avril 14th, the simple endlessly listenable repetitive brilliance of Bbydhyonchord. No, it's yet another richly put together melodic acid track. 

have another

It's one of the best things he's ever done, it has many more 'movements' than all those tracks you mentioned, and has a lot more funk too. There's about 5 "old tracks" all in one amazing tune. It certainly isn't like 100s of other acid tracks he's done, not to my ears.

Everyone has differnet tastes though, I can't listen to Venetian Snares for example.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2018 at 13:30, Purin said:

It's one of the best things he's ever done, it has many more 'movements' than all those tracks you mentioned, and has a lot more funk too. There's about 5 "old tracks" all in one amazing tune. It certainly isn't like 100s of other acid tracks he's done, not to my ears.

Everyone has differnet tastes though, I can't listen to Venetian Snares for example.

The owner of wattm can't either. What have you heard? I'm convinced those who can't listen to him haven't heard everything and won't commit to adjusting to his natural aggressive abrasiveness to enjoy the beauty and emotion underneath. Something like Cancel on Cavalcade, as I've mentioned many times before, is a compositional masterpiece, the way it builds and crescendos, the sheer emotion he's able to express. It's devastating, every time. That's my barometer of quality; is it intensely emotional. I gravitate towards aggression because so much electronic music isn't. It's content just being there, it doesn't want to grab hold of you. I'm not a connoisseur.

I get the dense elegance of XMAS_EVET, and the movements as you say. I see the funk. I just think it lacks bite and maybe purity in terms of being a searing thrill as the best of aphex is. In the 90s he just went to extremes, either total tranquility, nightmarish abstraction, or frenzied acrobatic percussion. I think Syro just exists in a kind of boring middle ground. It's just...nice. Yellow Calx might be simpler, or less richly dense, but there's more clarity to it, its purer.

To get what i mean, i think omgswitch defines aphex twin, its samples and distortions, its abrasiveness like it's breaking apart at the seams, it's so good, futuristic and so unique.

So for all future aphex twin, i refer to that track.

On 10/10/2018 at 14:14, CrispinFoetus said:

Been chipping away at all the Analord editions on vinyl, recently. This is my fave Aphex project by far.

Bwoon Dub, and Boxing Day. :wub:

• Upvote 2