Mr Do 71

Aphex Twin

0294786f1542448e04f4564808188c2d_zps8750

Youve seen the stencil. Now theres this a tweet from Aphex Twins official account containing an url ending with .onion, the suffix associated with TOR browsers and what Silk Road users will be familiar with as the deep web.

The URL leads to some text appears to contain an album title SYRO and a list of 12 tracks alongside what wed reckon to be their BPMs. Theres also an image, which you can see above.

31e17f1b1191ff9d5e5385d47bdf7f6f_zps116d

http://www.factmag.com/2014/08/18/aphex-twin-announces-syro-album-tracklist-and-artwork/

• Upvote 5

Tracklist

01. minipops 67 (source field mix)

02. XMAS_EVET10 (thanaton3 mix)

03. produk 29

04. 4 bit 9d api+e+6

05. 180db_

06. CIRCLONT6A (syrobonkus mix)

07. fz pseudotimestretch+e+3

08. CIRCLONT14 (shrymoming mix)

09. syro u473t8+e (piezoluminescence mix)

10. PAPAT4 (pineal mix)

11. s950tx16wasr10 (earth portal mix)

12. aisatsana

Limited Edition 3×LP £250.00

From an edition of 200 copies.

The opportunity to buy the Syro Limited Edition will be allocated by a ballot. To enter, check the box above and purchase any format of the release.

£250!!

• Upvote 2

£250 for a LE is hilarious.Obviously copying the games industry there, so someone with more money that sense will buy it.

Probably going to get loads of posts telling me I am wrong, but I don't think Mr James has ever delivered a decent album.

He has done some amazing E.P.s, and his compilations are great, but a whole album? Don't think I have ever heard one from him.

My hopes are somewhat tempered by the fact that this "new" record could merely amount to loads of old crap he has had knocking aroind on cassette for 20 years. That may interest some, like those who's interested sparked by the release of the lost Caustic Window LP, but listening to the first 2 tracks of that alone you'd wish it had remained lost. It does nothing and goes absolutely nowhere.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

List of crappy Aphex Twin albums.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Surfing on Sine Waves

Selected Ambient Works II

Richard D. James

...I Care Because You Do

Drukqs

Compilations: Classics and the first Caustic Window album. Plus we can't forget the hardcore/acid/ambient AFX Analogue Bubblebaths.

And the ANALORD binder.

;)

• Upvote 2

Yep, great EPs and Singles, just don't think he's a very good album artist IMO (excluding Ambient comps and Classics). The only L.P. I have come back to and played again and again is Drunkqs

Yep, great EPs and Singles, just don't think he's a very good album artist IMO (excluding Ambient comps and Classics). The only L.P. I have come back to and played again and again is Drunkqs

He's only done five albums as Aphex Twin, and you say there that three of them are really good. Four if you include Classics. Plus, two of them are double albums! That's a pretty good hit rate by my standards. What percentage do you have to get to be classed as a 'good album artist'?

If his interviews are to be believed he's sitting on hundreds of tunes. He'd go on about maybe releasing DATs with tons of tunes, but it was probably just bullshit he liked to spill out to the NME and co.

Maybe the guys at Warp helped him curate his tunes so it's a more cohesive album of recent tracks rather than some compilation of unreleased stuff. Having said that I don't really give a toss, it's a new Aphex Twin album, it makes an old IDM head like me very happy.

Will anyone under 30 give a shit though?

I'd reckon that to be true.

He's been writing since..1982-83 and give him 4-5 years to become a pro and record his own stuff (probably earlier) and thats 1987/88 when he's 16-17.

There was a rumour he'd only put out tracks his freinds didn't like or something - i forget now. But making his own kit and pissing about like he was meant to have done - i'd reckon he's a one man Radiophonic workshop.

List of crappy Aphex Twin albums.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Surfing on Sine Waves

Selected Ambient Works II

Richard D. James

...I Care Because You Do

Drukqs

Compilations: Classics and the first Caustic Window album. Plus we can't forget the hardcore/acid/ambient AFX Analogue Bubblebaths.

And the ANALORD binder.

;)

You missed off Rushup Edge. :wub:

What do you make of this??

http://stoneyroads.com/2014/08/has-aphex-twins-new-album-syro-been-streaming-for-a-whole-year

A mysterious Soundcloud account is streaming all of the tracks from the new Aphex Twin album 'Syro' with some of the songs strangely uploaded a full year ago.

Dubbed comically as the 'Cydez' album and uploaded by richrud d jomes the thing has some legs as being somewhat legit with fans of Danny Daze and KiNK, both who posted it up this morning on their socials thinking its the real deal but sped or pitched up.

Personally we think its Richie having a laugh, using the basic bits and pieces of most of his songs to tease us until the real thing is released sometime this year.

https://soundcloud.com/richrud-d-jomes/sets/b-cydez

I don't think it's real, but I do quite like it! I would hazard a guess that some chancer has just renamed his/her pre-existing Soundcloud tunes with the names of the Aphex tracks following the announcement of the album. It sounds a bit like the Analord stuff, except it doesn't sound as rich or have as many properly weird sounds. You'd think that after so many years, Richard D James would have cooked up something so many levels ahead that we could barely understand it, just listening to the first track would be like the bit in 2001 when the Monolith appears.

But you never know. When 'Human After All' leaked, everyone was like "This is NEVER Daft Punk, listen to how basic and rough it is, it's just some nobheads messing around on FruitiLoops" and then it turned out to be the actual album.

I don't think it's real, but I do quite like it! I would hazard a guess that some chancer has just renamed his/her pre-existing Soundcloud tunes with the names of the Aphex tracks following the announcement of the album.

It's obviously not real, and exactly what you said. The original track names are even in the URLs.

YES!

I hope "Metz" is on there. Fed up with only being able to listen to it on youtube.

Thanks to YouTube's copyright algorithm matching against live recordings it's now confirmed that:

Metz is Track 2.

Singapore is Track 10.

• Upvote 1

By now, everyone and their dog knows that Aphex Twin is putting out a new album. Called Syro, its his sixth in this past quarter-century, and comes 13 tumbleweed-strewn years after his last album, Drukqs. (Coincidentally, a few months back saw the surprise leak of an early unreleased album under his Caustic Window alias; this is the real deal.)

The FADER was lucky enough to grab 20 minutes on the phone with the man himself last Thursday and, ahead of a full Q&A we'll be running in the coming weeks, here are five whoa things we gleaned.

1. First off, Aphex Twin is really nice; he was polite, he laughed at bad jokes, and he called back when the line cut out.

2. The oldest track on Syro was recorded six or seven years ago, but there are a lot of newer compositions on there, too. "Id stockpiled up so much stuff and you can kind of have to draw a line under it somewhere," he said. "By banging something out it, its like the end of the chapter. It properly draws a line under it and allows you to move on."

3. He buys a shedload of new music everyday, mainly from the UK-based online music store Juno. "I buy ridiculous amounts of files," he told us. "I always go to that thing, 'Listen to the last eight weeks of whatever.' And its all those billions of genres, like Scouse house. Theres actually better music now than ever, thats ever existed before in my life. Its all kind of good listening stuffstuff to play in the car[but] not so much kicking stuff out there."

4. Music takes up all of his spare time, too: Im a serial killer for sounds, he said with an audible Cheshire cat grin. I collect sounds from other records so I have to know where they come from and how theyre made. I bought every old sampler in existence and bought all the sample libraries. Like a serial killer, basically. Ive gone through all of the sounds and worked out where everyone got all their sounds from.

5. And finally, he confirmed Syro wouldn't be a one-offit's got him "kicked into gear" for a new period of output.

Warp Records will release Aphex Twin's sixth studio album, Syro, on September 23rd.

http://www.thefader.com/2014/08/25/aphex-twin-syro-interview-excerpts

More Aphex music on the way :omg:

On the Kickstarter campaign to distribute audio files of his unearthed Caustic Window album, which exceeded its goal by more than $50,000: “The whole thing is just really touching. When they reached that goal on Kickstarter and it kept going up—people just wanting to give it money, even though they didn't need to do it—it's like, ‘Oh wow. Humanity is nice after all.’ Fans were just so happy to get it, fucking hell. I've got thousands more like that at home. I should release all that stuff as well.”

I just need Warp or someone to come around and say, ‘Come on, let's fucking get these things out.’ But they don't, so it's just up to me. And nobody else hassles me.”

http://pitchfork.com/news/56459-aphex-twin-speaks-on-his-new-album-being-sampled-by-kanye-more/

• Upvote 1