Sign in to follow this  
strider

Top 25 Amiga Games

Big ask, it's going to take some time to narrow it down to five games!

Edit - I'll probably change these, but here goes.

1 - Cannon Fodder

2 - Speedball 2

3 - North and South

4 - Syndicate

5 - Walker

Cannon Fodder is my favourite game, so it's a given at number one. I can't say anything about Speedball 2 that hasn't been said already. Amazing even now, with its fast gameplay, gorgeous metallic graphics and title music worth loading up for alone. North and South is a fantastic game. A unique combination of Risk-lite strategy, speedy platforming and a battlefield combat mode that's hard to describe - somewhere near an RTS of sorts, I guess. All wrapped up in beautiful cartoon visuals with loads of cheeky details (poking the photographers bum on the set-up screen never gets old). Syndicate was an easy pick since it's a classic, and the Amiga version was the first one I played.

Number five took some thought. Candidates included Xenon 2, Megalomania, Skidmarks, Populous 2, Chaos Engine, F-18, Pinball Fantasies and so forth, but I went with Walker because I think it often gets overlooked. It's an amazing game - it looks and sounds fantastic, features superb animation, a novel control scheme and it's all about a time travelling big stompy robot. It's an absolute classic but I hardly ever see it getting a mention. Me and my mate used to play it co-op with one of us piloting the mech and the other on shooting duties.

:wub: Those sound effects

Watching that vid makes me want to fire it up. I love Walker - so innovative with that dual control scheme. The lock-on and heat management added an extra strategic layer too. Elevating it beyond being a simple shooter.

• Upvote 1

1. It came from the desert

2. The secret of monkey island

3. Wings

4. Alien breed:tower assault

5. The secret of monkey island 2

Will give more thoughts on them when I'm at my PC rather than on a mobile device.

This is totally going to be a list of the best Atari ST and early PC games that also happened to be on the Amiga, but never mind:

1. Captive

2. Another World

3. The Secret of Monkey Island

4. Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe

5. Midwinter

(plus very honourable mentions to Operation Stealth, Flashback, Sensible World of Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Carrier Command Mercenary, Their Finest Hour, Hunter, Turrican 2, Dungeon Master, Syndicate, Worms, Transantarctica, and Populous 2)

In no particular order

Sensible World Of Soccer

Wings of Fury

Speedball 2

Xenon 2

Cannon Fodder

Oh, it will never get in the top 5 or 10 but I was addicted to Jetstrike for ages!

I can only say those games I spent the most time playing. There may well be better

1) Sensible World of Soccer

2) Cannon Fodder

3) Super Skidmarks

4) Martinsoft Pengo

5) Zeewolf

1. Frontier: Elite II

2. Pinball Fantasies

3. Sensible World of Soccer

4. Cannon Fodder

5. Seek and Destroy

With honorary mentions to Supercars II, Speedball 2, The Chaos Engine, Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker, The Secret of Monkey Island, Eye of the Beholder, Hunter, Lemmings, North & South, Mega Lo Mania, Populous II, Exile and others that I may or may not have played on ST anyway so I'm disinclined to count them. I'm pretty sure the top 5 there were all played on Amiga though.

Monkey Island 2 could be on there were it not for the ridiculous amount of disks it came on and the swapping it entailed - made the whole thing a complete and utter pain in the arse.

1. Chaos Engine

2. Project x

3 Xenon 2

4 Speedball 2

5 Power Monger

Despite the fact that our Amiga 1200 became a Championship Manager (or whatever it was called then) station for about 2 years straight as well. Onisimo !!!

Wow, this is a properly tough one this time!

Thinking back to when I actually owned an Amiga, my most played games at the time were probably:

1) Frontier: Elite II

2) Alien Breed: Tower Assault

3) Super Cars 2

4) Speedball 2

5) The Chaos Engine

But that's completely ignoring the hours I sank into Walker, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, the two Secret of Monkey Island games, Maniac Mansion, The Clue, Cannon Fodder, Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies, Elite, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, Lemmings, Moonstone, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Bloodnet (although to be fair I wasn't a huge fan of it), Turrican... etc...

Completely coincidentally, I've just spent the last hour downloading and installing a shitload of WHDload games into UAE on my laptop, ready for a bit of an Amiga nostalgia session this very evening, so maybe I'll have a more defined list in a few days time.

Yeah, never had a 'Miggy, but loads of those were also enjoyable on the ST.

The Cinemaware stuff I managed to play on both was certainly better on the Amiga - the sounds and graphics on the ST just couldn't cut it for those.

Were the Alien Breed games ever released on the ST? I remember really wanting to play those, but being denied.

Now this is my kind of list!

Damn hard to name my top 5 but today it's this,

It Came from the Desert

Speedball 2

Turrican 2

F29 Retaliator

Stunt Car Racer

Tough toss up between Kick Off 2 and Stunt Car Racer but Crammonds never bettered racer just nudged it.

I love the Amiga!!

Jesus so much to choose from. Okay mine are:

1: Cannon Fodder - Oh how I loved those little guys!
2: Hired Guns - Although I enjoyed Captive and Eye of the Beholder. I felt Hired Guns beat them all in terms of atmosphere
3: Midwinter - Still waiting for the remake
4: Datastorm - Kids today drooling over Resogun need to remember that Datastorm was the daddy!
5: Lotus Esprit Challenge - The finest arcade racing on the Amiga, and an absolute blast in split screen two player

Pains me to have to leave Stunt Car Racer off that list. It was my first ever experience of system link gameplay :wub:

Surprising to see Psygnosis stuff not getting much of a look-in so far. Although they did tend to generally look the part but prove frustrating as hell to play.

• Upvote 2

1. Damocles: Mercenary II - The original Mercenary was on the Amiga, but the sequel gave you an entire solar system to play around in and explore.

2. Stunt Car Racer - probably the first game to really give you a 3D (as in up and down) racer. Powering around some of the corners with the crack making its way across under the G load was very tense. The silence as you waited for a landing having gone of the ramp even more so.

3. Speedball 2 (enough said)

4. SWoS (ditto)

5. Pinball Fantasies

Honourable mentions for Super Sprint, Mercenary, Cannon Fodder, Bards Tale, F-15 Interceptor, Indy 500, F1GP, Ferrari Formula One (presumably much overlooked, as it didn't run on Kickstart 1.3), Datastorm, Populous.

With honorary mentions to Supercars II, Speedball 2, The Chaos Engine, Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker, The Secret of Monkey Island, Eye of the Beholder, Hunter, Lemmings, North & South, Mega Lo Mania, Populous II, Exile and others that I may or may not have played on ST anyway so I'm disinclined to count them. I'm pretty sure the top 5 there were all played on Amiga though.

I can't believe I forgot Lemmings and Eye of the Beholder! They wouldn't quite have made my top 5, but they should definitely have made the honourable mentions.

I'm not sure why playing a game on the ST would make you disinclined to count it, though, unless it was considerably worse on the Amiga - which, er, seems rather unlikely.

Let's face it, as far as the Amiga is concerned a Top 5 just isn't going to cut it... Easily up there as one of my most fondly remembered systems.

• Upvote 2

1. SWOS

2. The Settlers

3. Colonization

4. Cannon Fodder

5. Gravity Power (Force 2)

Have to add these too - Pinball Fantasies, Super Skidmarks, Syndicate, Speedball 2, Super Foul Egg and Monkey Islands.

The top 3 in that list are the ones I spent most time on by a big margin.

1. Turrican 2

2. Pinball Fantasies

3. Jimmy White Whirlwind Snooker/Archer Maclean's Pool

4. Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 2

5. Lemmings

Honourable mentions:

Bob's Bad Day - the Sonic bonus round on the Amiga.

Arcade Pool - beautifully-simple 2D pool game from Team 17. Lost many an hour to this.

Lemmings 2 - basically expanding the formula, played more of this than the original but it didn't have the same impact.

Just realised that I forgot Dune 2 and Utopia as well, the games that ignited my interest in strategy games. God damn!

Just realised that I forgot Dune 2 and Utopia as well, the games that ignited my interest in strategy games. God damn!

Argh! Dune 1. God, I sunk whole weeks into that!