Mr Do 71

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Nintendo has announced Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, a spin-off from Super Mario 3D World starring that game's miniature protagonist Captain Toad.

The character will once again be tasked with solving rotatable puzzle levels, presumably again without being able to jump.

Little else is known about the game - such as whether it will be a download-only or physical release.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-10-captain-toad-treasure-tracker-announced-for-wii-u

Toad is back with his own game. :wub:

• Upvote 2

Playing through Mario 3d at the moment and am enjoying the Toad Levels, keeping my eye on this to see how it progress / how many levels there are

My only reservation is that this comes from what were originally bonus levels for a game that already had a lot of variety in the main ones. I hope the formula doesn't wear thin on its own. A full Captain Toad game would have been better suited to 3DS.

I enjoyed the Captain Toad levels but only as a distraction from the main event, I can't see myself playing a whole game's worth. Will be picking it up for the kids though (they loved those levels) so I guess I'll see then if it's got enough ideas for a whole game.

My only reservation is that this comes from what were originally bonus levels for a game that already had a lot of variety in the main ones. I hope the formula doesn't wear thin on its own. A full Captain Toad game would have been better suited to 3DS.

I don't understand the point. A 3DS game can be less varied?

• Upvote 2

I don't understand the point. A 3DS game can be less varied?

Nope, I just prefer to play puzzle games on handhelds. Sorry, should have used separate paragraphs.

Watched the live@treehouse stuff and it looks much more expanded with boss battles, larger levels and more of a need to be creative in killing enemies and finding gems.

Loved them breaking up the action in 3D World and quite keen to see how they can flesh it out. Visual style, Character design and animation in this, MK8 and Zelda are really showing that Nintendo know they have all the grunt they need hardware-wise. Impressive stuff.

We've not played much 3D World yet, so this is like an expansion of a minigame from there or something? Or is it levels you have to play through where you're not Mario or whatever? And how does it work with multiplayer? Guess I should crack on, but we've been spending more time with NSMBU and Mario Kart :)

This was just on Treehouse... looks brilliant.

I now wonder why the Toad levels were in SM3DW. It's obviously the same engine and assets but did they add it in as basically a demo to get us used to the idea, or did they realise they had a great mechanic and greenlit a full game before 3d World came out?.

I actually wasn't that big a fan of the Cap. Toad levels in 3D World (too easy and not as immediately fun as the main game) but I'm hyped for this anyway. Tokyo EAD never disappoints.

This was just on Treehouse... looks brilliant.

I now wonder why the Toad levels were in SM3DW. It's obviously the same engine and assets but did they add it in as basically a demo to get us used to the idea, or did they realise they had a great mechanic and greenlit a full game before 3d World came out?.

I'm guessing it's a good option because it works with the 3D World engine and they already have plenty of assets to use? If SM3DW came out at christmas, they must have finished it before that. It could have been greenlit afterwards, making this much progress in a few months is much easier when the engine and some of the assets are already done.

Also Tokyo EAD seem to be a bunch of terrifying witches who can make games better and quicker than everyone else somehow