The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

You will almost certainly have come across field outside a gate where a battle took place, and there are loads of wrecked Guardians...

Man, I haven't played the game since finishing it 3 years ago, and that description brought the place back immediately. What a game.

6 hours ago, smac said:

Man, I haven't played the game since finishing it 3 years ago, and that description brought the place back immediately. What a game.

The first gameplay videos for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity seem to be showing that we’ll get to see some of those ruined villages, buildings & structures in their intact state, which on the one hand is interesting but on the other may just make their ruined status in this game even more melancholic.

Imagine fighting your way up to the Great Plateau, travelling through the non-flooded Archway & wiping out vast hordes of Bokoblins as you ascend the intact staircases & through non-ruined courtyards & plazas as you work your way to the Temple of Time.

• 3 weeks later...

Mind blown! My 8 year old son has just beaten the final trial of the sword. An incredible hour of gaming. Impressed isn't even the word. 

Yoy really are right @Marlew. It just feels so right when played. Obviously why between us we've played for over 700 hours and still playing 3 and a half years later even with a ton of other games to play with. It's still just so incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody explain why there is a rock in the sea at Martha’s Landing beach? I used the ice pillars to get to the edge of the map, which is my location in the second photo, but I have no idea how to interact with the object. I have a feeling I have seen one somewhere else on the map also.  

A66B022B-512D-4488-9222-1F91719F1224.thumb.jpeg.f6512eab2efa2499b1ab2ea8aaeb8714.jpeg

3CDDF614-B590-4B31-8442-6717A6DBEF7C.thumb.jpeg.1577e33e0a2b4889d7c6b56dd3c4c125.jpeg

AFAIK, if underwater items aren’t metallic there is no way to interact with them, & the only place it’s impossible for Magnesis to reach is the Zora Reservoir which is incredibly deep.  Seriously, drop something metallic that you don’t mind loosing (like an empty treasure chest from an Amiibo drop) into that body of water, activate Magnesis & watch it dwindle from sight.

Back to the rock though... I suppose it’s possible that you might be able to use an item held in Magnesis to nudge that rock, though I doubt it would do anything even if it worked.

I remembered hearing somewhere that someone had raised the Water level of the Breath of the Wild map to create something like the Great Sea in Wind Waker. 

I finally found it, it's by a Reddit user named "BennetF" but I didn't realise quite how much effort they'd gone to to relabel the changed landscape:

This is the kind of thing that I hope the sequel does.  Take the existing landscape that we've come to know & change it, either by covering it with water or levitating it into the sky.

I found the last memory after about ten hours of looking for it! Time to kick Ganon’s ass again I guess.

Spoiler

It was exactly where I had assumed but my continued failure to find it persuaded me to look in increasingly unlikely places. It turns out I walked past it an hour ago.

On 02/11/2020 at 11:01, Jarik said:

I remembered hearing somewhere that someone had raised the Water level of the Breath of the Wild map to create something like the Great Sea in Wind Waker. 

I finally found it, it's by a Reddit user named "BennetF" but I didn't realise quite how much effort they'd gone to to relabel the changed landscape:

This is the kind of thing that I hope the sequel does.  Take the existing landscape that we've come to know & change it, either by covering it with water or levitating it into the sky.

Ganon Luthor's plan blow up Rutala Dam and turn waste land into prime real estate finally pays off.

I love replaying the Game from the beginning.  That opening on the Great Plateau never gets old & the freedom you have to go where you want means the adventure can always play out in a different order even if the main beats are the same.  For instance, how does the game change if you prioritise getting the Teleport Medallion before even meeting Impa?  Let’s find out!

I'm just taking my time meandering through unexplored areas and one thing that struck me is how that being completely open you often approach areas you've already seen, but from completely different directions/viewpoints. In a lot of open world games the areas you visit regularly are often through the same bottlenecks and as such you only get a limited view of those areas. I think it adds a lot of variety in a way I hadn't really considered before. Likewise in the way the game doesn't really tie you down to any specific area of the map so you aren't constantly having to revisit areas in the first place.

There are areas in this game, Dozens of them, that aren’t part of any quest or you need to go to for any reason, that in previous Zelda games would have been a main story area & you certainly wouldn’t have approached by any path other than a single set entrance.  Imagine if Kakariko Village or Lake Hylia from Ocarina of Time were just an out of the way bit of the map you could completely miss.

It’s not water, but here’s a Youtuber named Pointcrow playing a mod for Breath of the Wild where an environmental element has been added where it wasn’t before.  This changes the landscape, makes getting around harder & blocks some areas off completely:

That ‘Bomb-Boosted Glide’ is apparently not a mod & something you can do in the base game, but it’s really hard to pull off.

I've just started the Champions Ballad DLC, I bought it on the Wii U but didn't get off the plateau for some reason. I've done the first Champions story and it's great no idea why I stopped first time round. 

My son has started his first game, imagine this being your first Zelda game, the lucky little bugger. 

IMG_20201115_090435.jpg

Started a second playthrough and loving this game even more. I'm playing it differently to how I did the first time...

Not using the map. 

Just heading to wherever looks interesting. 

Not getting too fussed about shrines, in fact having a low hearts bar adds a lot to it. 

Trying cook in a more natural manner, using up what I have, and using all the herbs and acorns etc. With a lower heart bar, this has become essential. 

So my question is, would this be a good time to buy and install the second DLC? Will it be possible to play through this before I progress much of the main game quests? 

• 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend a good kid friendly YouTube video or videos, not a walkthrough, but like a really thurough quick start guide to the game?

I got my wee niece it for Christmas, she loves it but hasn't a clue what to do. I guided her through getting off the great plateau and gave her a few quick general tips. But I don't see her enough to help her much more than that. She's 10, and doesn't really have any base of knowledge from other games. I've had a look for myself but they all seem to be geared more towards people who already have a solid base of gaming experience. 

27 minutes ago, Raoull duke said:

Can anyone recommend a good kid friendly YouTube video or videos, not a walkthrough, but like a really thurough quick start guide to the game?

I got my wee niece it for Christmas, she loves it but hasn't a clue what to do. I guided her through getting off the great plateau and gave her a few quick general tips. But I don't see her enough to help her much more than that. She's 10, and doesn't really have any base of knowledge from other games. I've had a look for myself but they all seem to be geared more towards people who already have a solid base of gaming experience. 

It’s not an easy game by any means, what games has she played before? My daughter is currently playing Link’s Awakening and enjoying it, she’s 7 and likes stuff like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Pikmin - think she would find BoTW way too challenging tbh. 

18 hours ago, Stanley said:

It’s not an easy game by any means, what games has she played before? My daughter is currently playing Link’s Awakening and enjoying it, she’s 7 and likes stuff like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Pikmin - think she would find BoTW way too challenging tbh. 

Yeah she doesn't really have any base knowledge at all. She's played some Mario games and Kirby's epic yarn, but don't think she's ever finished any of them. 

20 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

- I must admit that BOTW is noticably last-gen now. The sheer quality of the gameplay and the art style make up for it, but I can't help noticing the sub-1080 resolution, the low LOD of the landscape, and the framerate turning into a slideshow in forests. Makes me think, "Poor little Switch, you're trying!" I kind of wish Nintendo could publish their games on PS4 Pro.

Everyone with a half decent PC should try this on Cemu.