Jump to content
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

Yep, despite being fantastic for exploration the game holds your hand with the main quests a lot. Typically I'll set off for a quest marker, and get distracted along the way. :D

 

The entire game is designed around deliberately distracting you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Planning on buying a Switch with Zelda soon. Is the DLC worth it? And what is a good time to buy it, together with the game as a season pass or after finishing the main game?

The DLC is great but I'd wait until you've done the main game. You won t miss out on anything important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd start with the DLC so you can play it in Master Mode immediately. 

 

It's such a big game, I think it's unlikely that many people will play it through twice (I won't anyway) and Master Mode has a bit of challenge to it, which the standard version doesn't really. Your opinion on how enjoyable a game is based on challenge is key really.  Some people are quote derisory when it comes to Master Mode, saying that enemies are too tough in groups and that weapons break too quickly. I don't personally feel the same, and think the game's cooking food / creating potions mechanic is over powered in the standard mode. Though you could limit use of those things yourself if you want more / less of a challenge, I don't personally don't like that sort of self determined difficulty.  As for weapon durability, you collect so many weapons through the game, it's not a problem, IMO.  

 

I think it's a bit of a swindle that Nintendo have charged for what amounts to some simple stat changes but I think the difference it makes to the game is worth it. 

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Planning on buying a Switch with Zelda soon. Is the DLC worth it? And what is a good time to buy it, together with the game as a season pass or after finishing the main game?

 

I'd wait till you ready to take on Ganon then get the DLC and play the expansion prior to going in to defeat Ganon.  I'd have loved to have played it that way.  The expansion has, imo, the best and most challenging side quests and shrines but it also rounds off the story very nicely with a lot of heart.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started this. I haven't played a 'big' Zelda since Wind Waker, despite owning Twilight Princess.

 

I'm finding the controls a little fiddly but I'm sure I'll adjust.

 

I've done the first shrine but I went on a decent detour beforehand. How do you not just detour constantly to explore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Detouring constantly is pretty much the point of the game. Seeing what is up that hill or interesting ruin.

 

I made a rule that I wouldn't unlock a section of the map until I had done a decent about of exploring in the one I currently was in.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Detouring constantly is pretty much the point of the game. Seeing what is up that hill or interesting ruin.

 

I made a rule that I wouldn't unlock a section of the map until I had done a decent about of exploring in the one I currently was in.

 

The parts of Zelda I really like is the small rewards for going off the beaten path. I didn't think there were enough of those in WW. The idea that BotW sort of flips it with making exploration supreme with the main quest becoming the detour. I like it.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheShend said:

 

The parts of Zelda I really like is the small rewards for going off the beaten path. I didn't think there were enough of those in WW. The idea that BotW sort of flips it with making exploration supreme with the main quest becoming the detour. I like it.

 

“I like it” will soon become “I love it. It’s the best game ever created”.

 

Enjoy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 08:44, Aurelius said:

Planning on buying a Switch with Zelda soon. Is the DLC worth it? And what is a good time to buy it, together with the game as a season pass or after finishing the main game?

Ignore @Stanley & @scottcr, start straight off with the DLC included!!  

 

I honestly don't understand why they'd recommend waiting until you've nearly finished.  No point in waiting.  Just let the freedom overwhelm you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, robdood said:

Ignore @Stanley & @scottcr, start straight off with the DLC included!!  

 

I honestly don't understand why they'd recommend waiting until you've nearly finished.  No point in waiting.  Just let the freedom overwhelm you!

 

I think the hero's path would spoil the game at the start.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scottcr said:

 

I think the hero's path would spoil the game at the start.

How so?  Can't be much more 'spoiling' than the Sheika sensor, like!

 

(aside: I wish the game's map had an option to turn off your own location.  That would be so great)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, robdood said:

How so?  Can't be much more 'spoiling' than the Sheika sensor, like!

 

(aside: I wish the game's map had an option to turn off your own location.  That would be so great)

 

 

I think a big part of what I loved about the game was starting to recognise places purely from looking at the screen... and working out if I had been somewhere or not mainly based on whether or not I actually recognised the area or what I could see.  I found the hero path to be useful once I got to the stage where I was trying to find the last few shrines and looking for obvious 'gaps' in my travels.  I think it's part of that whole 'where does the game reside' thing that Matt Lees spoke about so well in his review of BOTW.   Now I'm at the point of scouring the map for Hinox and Talus, I'm finding myself spending almost as much of the game in the map ... and I think that would spoil the early parts of the game where the exploration is just SO PERFECT because it doesn't have these kinds of things (IMO)

 

(oh - and I never used the sensor! I found it beeped too much at the start so I switched it off - and forgot about it)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, robdood said:

Ignore @Stanley & @scottcr, start straight off with the DLC included!!  

 

I honestly don't understand why they'd recommend waiting until you've nearly finished.  No point in waiting.  Just let the freedom overwhelm you!

The main reason I suggested it is because the real meat of the DLC, Champion's Ballad, can't be started anyway until you've completed all four Divine Beasts. Hero's Path is great but not at all necessary and you only really benefit from it after a good 100 hundreds or so imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, scottcr said:

 

I think a big part of what I loved about the game was starting to recognise places purely from looking at the screen... and working out if I had been somewhere or not mainly based on whether or not I actually recognised the area or what I could see.  I found the hero path to be useful once I got to the stage where I was trying to find the last few shrines and looking for obvious 'gaps' in my travels.  I think it's part of that whole 'where does the game reside' thing that Matt Lees spoke about so well in his review of BOTW.   Now I'm at the point of scouring the map for Hinox and Talus, I'm finding myself spending almost as much of the game in the map ... and I think that would spoil the early parts of the game where the exploration is just SO PERFECT because it doesn't have these kinds of things (IMO)

 

(oh - and I never used the sensor! I found it beeped too much at the start so I switched it off - and forgot about it)

Fair dues man. 

 

I wish I'd turned off the sensor on my first playthrough. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.