revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

3 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That's basically it. I think Sprite is right, they've left it sparse because the audio is actually giving you useful cues.

It's either this or Skyrim/Oblivion where the same piece of music never bloody stops. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Ahhh the 3000 HP combat challenge? 3 weapon arms

I did that with 4 hearts and weapons that did 10-20 damage mostly (used like ALL of them).

It's doable and worth trying. The attack pattern is repeated and pretty easier. Cook some HP+ food (Truffles near Hetano) or def food if needed

Reveal hidden contents

Is that the one I did? How do you know how much HP he has? I just see a red bar.

9 hours ago, clippa said:

It's a bit of a fanny on if your inventory is full and you open a chest, find a decent weapon and you have to go into your inventory, drop one and then get the opening the chest animation again.

It is a right fanny. I had it happen numerous times yesterday, but I forgave it every time because of the way the chest closes and locks itself again. You numbskull! Come back when you're sorted your inventory out. It really should give you the option of swapping a weapon out, but in true Nintendo style they've done something annoying in a very polished way. Same with cooking, you should obviously have easy access to your recipes, but just look at those ingredients bouncing around in the pan, and savour the anticipation that wouldn't be there if you had a database at your fingertips.

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I really do miss having a rousing overworld theme though. I've heard a few more nice tunes now, but that weird minimalist ditty that plays when you're riding about is quite, quite wrong.

Ive read this a lot in this thread, soooo...

Major music spoiler (yes, really :unsure:):

When you get through the defences of Hyrule Castle a constant, rousing score of the classic Zelda theme plays. It's an amazing feeling as it contrasts against the 'safety' and silence of the world, and I'm all for this choice just for the simple reason of I can imagine when you're going in there properly it's like a musical reward. The Rocky theme as you approach the final obstacle.

Here it is:

• Upvote 1

One piece of clothing displays enemy health. 

Is that the major test of strength? I failed on it. So decided to revisit when I have more hearts. 

Yeah you two are talking about the same one. I wasn't stupid enough to suggest arrows :P

Um...I'm special? I'll explain in the spoiler

A piece of gear you get shops HP values above the bars...

If you want to know how/where shout - although you should encounter it pretty easily

Just now, cassidy said:

Is that the major test of strength?

I believe so - there's a modeate one nearby as well.

I did Major first. I'm just found basic one..I've got 10 hearts, 3 stam upgrades and weapons up the wazzoo

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, revlob said:

Played for hours and hours yesterday.

I am totally and utterly convinced by the weapon durability mechanic now. I'd been hoarding a few nice-looking weapons for a while, including a couple I'd picked up in shrines with attack values near double anything else I had, and one or two with some interesting effects. Then I found a shrine that was a little further off the intended path.

Hide contents

Inside was a "Major Combat Trial", and the foe which appeared before me was a completely functional Guardian Scout, a broken and hobbled version of which the game pits against you to teach you the dodge mechanics near Kakariko Village. It unfolds itself, and on each of its three mechanical arms is a huge, glowing blue bladed weapon. It moves almost as quickly as a Lizalfos now, and it lunges straight for me. Moments before it strikes, I open the menu and eat a dish which doubles my health, and an elixir which offers some damage protection. I unpause only to watch as I'm sent flying across the room from the force of the attack. All the temporary hearts I had just added are taken off. I know I'm in trouble. Do I run? Do I hell.

Determined, I recover my health and lock on to my opponent, holding back and dodging constantly in order to learn its movement patterns. Once I'm more certain of its capabilities, I pull out my flame sword and land a few hits, to gauge how much damage I can do to it. It's not a lot, but it's just enough to convince me I can do this. I can beat him, as long as I keep my shield up and avoid its axe swing.

But of course, it's not too long before my treasured flaming blade shatters, and the Scout still has over two-thirds of its health, so I pull out the big guns and draw my huge two-handed katana, the strongest weapon I'd found so far. Without a shield, and with this heavy, slower weapon, I have to time my attacks differently. Link's combo pattern is slower now, and uninterruptible, so winding up for a swing makes for a much larger window of vulnerability. I have to adapt in the middle of battle, and just as I start feeling comfortable, my sword breaks into a hundred pieces.

I then proceed to make my way through my entire inventory, one weapon at a time. After taking so much damage, the Scout changes tactics, and adds a new attack to its repertoire. Occasionally it will crouch down and spin around, firing its laser in a rapid arc around it. It looks impossible to get near, but the heat from the laser has caused an updraft which allows me to soar over the beam and attack from above.

A broadsword. A spear. A huge iron mallet. Each crashes against the Scout's metal exterior like waves against a rock. Even the mop I'd been holding onto gets a go. But now I'm in trouble. The Scout has a sliver of health left, but I've used every last melee weapon I had to get here. To add to my worries, the Scout has now started to charge up its laser. I take cover behind a pillar, only to learn that the pillars in the room can be destroyed, and that this attack pattern includes multiple bursts of concentrated laser fire. Luckily, I'd been carrying a fairy, which revives my burning body and allows me to continue the fight.

All I've got left now are arrows. Bomb arrows, fire arrows, ice arrows, they are all spent in the direction of my foe. Constantly strafing around it, I'm able to avoid the laser fire, but I'm aware that I'm running low on ammunition. With just a sliver of the Scout's health remaining, I switch to regular arrows, and with about five left I land the final blow. The mechanical monster is slain. What could possibly be the best reward after all that? The Scout has left behind its three Guardian weapons, all '++' variants with attack values far in excess of anything I've seen so far. I know these weapons will break, and they'll break far too soon, but I know that whatever fight I eventually choose to use them in will be epic.

This is a fucking great post. 

3 minutes ago, Rowan Morrison said:

It is a right fanny. I had it happen numerous times yesterday, but I forgave it every time because of the way the chest closes and locks itself again. You numbskull! Come back when you're sorted your inventory out. It really should give you the option of swapping a weapon out, but in true Nintendo style they've done something annoying in a very polished way. Same with cooking, you should obviously have easy access to your recipes, but just look at those ingredients bouncing around in the pan, and savour the anticipation that wouldn't be there if you had a database at your fingertips.

Also I noticed that if a new weapon is lying on the ground, and you drop one or more of your old ones right where it is, the pickup option always seems to default to the new one.

• Upvote 1

There's definitely a bunch of location-specific songs with hummable tunes the further you get. The second town in particular is lovely. In fact, just thought of another track that was so cute it caught me off guard. I thought I'd miss an overworld theme too, but the place is too big to have something like that playing all the time. It works better this way for this type of game. Hmm, I hope it remains this way throughout.

On the other hand, the first real blemish on the game has emerged, in the form of American voice acting for some major characters in cutscenes. American accents in Hyrule sound completely stupid.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Rowan Morrison said:

It is a right fanny. 

It's a button press - R1 to throw.

Maybe you also have to use the quick menu to pick what you're disgarding. 

You don't need to go into the main menu/inventory.

Quest question - I don't know how indicate what I'm asking without indicating races/people/locations etc...this is the vaguest I can do...Has anyone found the washed away wife?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Yeah you two are talking about the same one. I wasn't stupid enough to suggest arrows :P

Um...I'm special? I'll explain in the spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

A piece of gear you get shops HP values above the bars...

If you want to know how/where shout - although you should encounter it pretty easily

I believe so - there's a modeate one nearby as well.

I did Major first. I'm just found basic one..I've got 10 hearts, 3 stam upgrades and weapons up the wazzoo

That was the one, major test of strength. I'm not interested in fights that last ages. I mean, I generally dislike boss fights in any game, never mind ones that are rock solid. At least in previous Zeldas you could find a weak point, hit it a few times and be done with the thing. Trying to slowly chip away for 15 minutes at the health of an overpowered machine who can deal instant death to me is not my idea of fun. 

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

That was the one, major test of strength. I'm not interested in fights that last ages. I mean, I generally dislike boss fights in any game, never mind ones that are rock solid. At least in previous Zeldas you could find a weak point, hit it a few times and be done with the thing. Trying to slowly chip away for 15 minutes at the health of an overpowered machine who can deal instant death to me is not my idea of fun. 

You are probably not going to like this game.

Although 15min is way OOT. Takes like...4...cus that's how long my "don't 1 shot kill me" potion lasted :P

9 hours ago, kensei said:

This is a design choice, and it's possibly the most brilliant one in the whole game. It's Nintendo breaking the min-maxing, hoarding mentality that scores of other games have drilled into you like a hamster in an experiment. 

That sword will break. It is, in all honesty, not that good. There will be a better sword or spear or club along in a minute. You'll need to vary your play style. You'll be caught in a storm or caught short and be forced to fight with a stick. And the fight will be EPIC. The game is the reward, not the Sword of Flame+1.

This.

So much! 

It reminds me most of.. Halo! Every dead body is a new weapon and you have to adapt to the situation. Most of Alien weapons in Halo didn't reload and often you only had a Human weapon if found on a dead marine and it was only usable for the duration of the ammo. It's essentially the same thing as weapon duration in this context. 

That's exactly WHY these two games feel so dynamic and dramatic. 

• Upvote 4

Oh I do like the game. The overworld, the exploration.  I just think it's too hard in places. If Miyamoto knew they were throwing shit like that in the game he'd have kicked their arses. 

Strange thing last night where the blood moon cut scene triggered three times in about 4 minutes. All in one night (no time skipping with campfires as I was half way up a mountain).

8 minutes ago, Hexx said:

It's a button press - R1 to throw.

Maybe you also have to use the quick menu to pick what you're disgarding. 

You don't need to go into the main menu/inventory.

Sure, but the fannying is when you haven't checked your inventory before opening a chest, and you're full. Dropping items is easy enough, but in that scenario you still have to go through the chest opening process again. As suggested above, you should really be given the opportunity to swap the chest weapon for an existing one when that happens. It's a bit mean to do things the way they have - but it's not the end of the world.

6 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Oh I do like the game. The overworld, the exploration.  I just think it's too hard in places. If Miyamoto knew they were throwing shit like that in the game he'd have kicked their arses. 

Nah. It's gotten fairly easy now that I've got some decent armour and better weapons. And being able to insta-heal whenever your health gets low makes things quite low risk. I'm hoping for some one-hit-killing fuckers to make an appearance again soon because I'm missing that early challenge in combat. It was really refreshing for a Nintendo game.

11 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Whereas I think it's perfect.  This game is so open it's totally possible to come across enemies that are way too powerful for you.  If this happens, come back to it later or avoid the fight altogether.  I was making my way to Death Mountain yesterday and completely avoided a tough enemy by dropping down the side of a cliff and climbing round it out of sight.  You just need to properly weigh up your options.

Also it's worth noting that the penalty for death is practically non-existent. You start back pretty much exactly where you were before you died. If this was Dark Souls you'd lose all your stuff, and have a 2 minute run back to where you died. Then you'd die again. 40 times.

• Upvote 1

So.. the stable

Spoiler

and my adventure in the shrine outside it. After leaving the Great Plateau and wandering down the river was surprised to see a large group of people as I thought the whole world had been killed off 100 years ago. Had only see a ghost and 1 person by the river on the way down. Anyway I see this shrine surrounded by these weird small crystals that injure you if you touch them. I must have spent 20 minutes trying different weapons, running back and forth to figure out a way to get over it all to no avail. Then just as I was about to give up a small glinting rock caught my eye up the waterfall behind it. Then it finally hit me... I can climb that shit! So half way up I get, drop and glide landing right in front of the shrine entrance like a ninja. Whooping for joy at being an idiot and being awesome for figuring out at the same time I ventured inside.

That's Zelda for me.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This.

So much! 

It reminds me most of.. Halo! Every dead body is a new weapon and you have to adapt to the situation. Most of Alien weapons in Halo didn't reload and often you only had a Human weapon if found on a dead marine and it was only usable for the duration of the ammo. It's essentially the same thing as weapon duration in this context. 

That's exactly WHY these two games feel so dynamic and dramatic. 

Yeah I get all of that - but there are SOME weapons later that are rare enough/unqiue that you want to save for special occasions

Mainly elemental weapons. So rare, but so deadly in the right circumstances. Currently rocking fire, ice and shock swords. A fire sword when running up a snow covered gauntlet was invaluable

2 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

So.. the stable

Hide contents

and my adventure in the shrine outside it. After leaving the Great Plateau and wandering down the river was surprised to see a large group of people as I thought the whole world had been killed off 100 years ago. Had only see a ghost and 1 person by the river on the way down. Anyway I see this shrine surrounded by these weird small crystals that injure you if you touch them. I must have spent 20 minutes trying different weapons, running back and forth to figure out a way to get over it all to no avail. Then just as I was about to give up a small glinting rock caught my eye up the waterfall behind it. Then it finally hit me... I can climb that shit! So half way up I get, drop and glide landing right in front of the shrine entrance like a ninja. Whooping for joy at being an idiot and being awesome for figuring out at the same time I ventured inside.

That's Zelda for me.

Or just make an ice block and jump over

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

So.. the stable

Reveal hidden contents

That's Zelda for me.

There's another solution to this:

Spoiler

Use the ice power!

• Upvote 1

Just now, polygon_monkey said:

How do you get rafts to work? I can't seem to be able to get them to budge.

Use a Korok Leaf to blow yourself around.

Just now, polygon_monkey said:

How do you get rafts to work? I can't seem to be able to get them to budge.

You need an item

Korok leaf - there's normally one near the rafts or in certain wooded areas

Just now, Hexx said:

Yeah I get all of that - but there are SOME weapons later that are rare enough/unqiue that you want to save for special occasions

Reveal hidden contents

Mainly elemental weapons. So rare, but so deadly in the right circumstances. Currently rocking fire, ice and shock swords. A fire sword when running up a snow covered gauntlet was invaluable

And some weapons are more durable that others. The ones that have extended durability are marked as such. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_can't_have_your_cake_and_eat_it

32 minutes ago, Rowan Morrison said:

On cooking - I don't think there's any point really memorising recipes. There's a couple I thought were really good - and I screenshotted them with the recipe open.  Other than that, it seems to be if you think it sounds like it might be tasty in real life, it'll probably be tasty in Zelda too... get some eggs, honey, meat, mushrooms... sorted.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

it seems to be if you think it sounds like it might be tasty in real life, it'll probably be tasty in Zelda too

Haha I've definitely not been doing this. C'mon apple 'n' mushroom skewer!

• Upvote 3