VN1X

Abzû - Journey Successor

3 hours ago, Scribblor said:

Does anyone know if there's going to be an xbox version of this ever? 

22 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Physical release in September by 505 Games - Xbone and PS4.

This fella seems to think so!!

Sitting here waiting for this game to release on Steam. Checking the Steam discussions for Abzu and my god is every discussions board in Steam full of twats? Moan moan moan moan moan is all I see :facepalm: 

Wow!!! The bait ball!

Totally agree with all of @PeteJ's comments. What a ride. It felt like an underwater Fantasia, with some real joyous moments. I even welled up at one point. Absolutely stunning game and well worth playing. Took me a few hours and has been said middle bit is the weakest but one of those games that really shows what this medium can do beyond shooting things.

Just finished it in one sitting.

It's fantastic. A great game. The visuals are simply stunning and looking at all the fish and sea creatures is awesome. It reminded me more of Flower than Journey. 

Did a little more last night (making it last) and was just awestruck by a couple of amazing sequences.

Grabbing a ride on a

baby Orca as the pod swum around me.

And piloting a

humpback whale to take a giant gulp of the bait-ball.

Stunning.

Just finished it.

It's exceptionally pretty and smooth as silk (I played it on PC) but even the two hours or so of the experience was plenty enough for me as I did find myself hoping the end would hurry along. There are a number of beautiful set pieces that are genuinely breathtaking but the game-play is minimal to say the least and the interactivity that there is just feels like a bit of a chore. I didn't really like the soundtrack that much, it was too intrusive too often and just didn't sit right with me at all - I'd have preferred something a bit more Eno  than the uninspiring strings and choral work but that's a matter of personal taste. The moments when the music faded out, or became more minimal, allowing a little more of the ambient sounds to come through were the most magical for me. 

Not a bad overall experience but I was left imagining how great a more interactive experience set in ABZU's wonderfuly stylized and rendered seas could be. I'd have liked a free swim  mode just to mooch around without constraint, maybe with a camera in order to try and obtain shots of the wildlife. As it is just the regular game and normal screenshots will yield plenty of very pleasing desktop backgrounds...

• Upvote 1

Played for about 20mins and got pretty bored of it. Think it's going to take random bursts of 20mins here and there to get it done. It's not like Inside where I'm like 'I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!', it's more just 'Here have a swim with zillions of fishes all on screen at once, go and touch stuff yeah.'

Did it last night.

It really is a properly beautiful game and the ace soundtrack added loads to the experience. I don't feel the need to ponder on the specifics of what the heck is all beneath the water, but the general theme, much like Flower, was conveyed well. Most importantly, controlling the character and fannying around with the animals is hugely enjoyable. For these kind of none games, you have to get the fundamentals of control and interaction right, and this did. Flipping out of the water and rolling around beneath the surface is enjoyable as shit. The best swimming ever in a game I reckon, which is a huge triumph for the developers.

In terms of required gameplay, you're essentially just going through the game and pressing a button to advance. In contrast to Flower, the interactions with the sea animals are mostly just enjoyable things to do rather than required for progression, so it doesn't quite come together to create an experience as cohesive and satisfactory as gathering petals to bring things to life. 

I'm not as fond of Journey as others. It was/is a more ambitious game than this and Flower, with more variety to the controls, areas, and gameplay, and then there's the online co-op component on top of that. But I did think that some of those elements were much less successful than others and the co-op better suited certain sections too. It was a very patchy gameplay experience for me and I was pleased that this ended up a purer, more straightforward, Flower like journey.

And it is a familiar journey, closely following the template of those games, doing a particularly good job recreating the euphoric rush moments of them, but it does manage to create its own individual moments of magic down there with the sea creatures too. 

I think it's great.

• Upvote 3

I had some free time just now so sat down and played this start to finish. 

This is game did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't think it was bad - just boring. I didn't get any of the feelings of joy/intrigue/wonder that I got from Flower or Journey. There were a couple of bits which stood out from the rest but even those failed to impress. 

It's very odd. I'm not even annoyed and wanting my £13 back. I'm not annoyed at how it retreads Journey so blatantly. I'm just utterly indifferent to it. 

• Upvote 1

Just finished this in one go and was simply mesmerised from start to finish. It's breathtaking in places and truly a joy to play. If you're planning on picking this up yourself (and have an easy pick for your top 5 of 2016) then definitely go in blind as there are some scenes which should simply be experienced for yourself on your HDTV, with 5.1 surround sound, the lights off, and a nice cup of tea.

Abzu is an unforgettable experience as far as I'm concerned and there have only been a select few games which managed to achieve that. 

• Upvote 5

I do worry for the framerate on the switch with that much going on, so we'll see how that turns out, but it's ace to see such a fantastic game reaching a bigger audience.