rllmuk
Floex

Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Just now, K said:

I’m not the best person to ask about frame rates, but the campaign looked fine to me on my vintage Xbox One. 

Nice and smooth for me.

26 minutes ago, K said:

you can’t seem to save films in the theatre, WTF. There just doesn’t seem to be an option to save them, they’re just stuck in your temporary films until they get deleted forever. Unless I’m missing something? I had an incredible moment last night where my warthog hit a ghost, flipped, and kicked everyone out to face two elites and a ghost with no shields; it looked as though I was about to die, at which point another warthog steamed in from stage left and mowed the lot of them down. Would love to save that.

WTF no video saving?

26 minutes ago, K said:

-Slightly annoying that they’ve removed some of the Firefight game types. Score attack / grunt attack / gruntpocalypse was always my favourite, as it was effectively more solo levels. I guess I could recreate it in custom games.

Nooo! That's disappointing, as Score Attack was my most-played Firefight gametype. Admittedly that was because it was the only way a solo Firefight player could earn a decent number of credits and complete Firefight challenges.

26 minutes ago, K said:

-the new front end is a bit ugly, and I miss the original Reach’s elegant front end with its nice matte painting backgrounds for each mode. It’s slightly irritating that you can only unlock new armour types through the multiplayer. The original let you unlock stuff through single player challenges and Firefight as well.

-it would be nice to have the ODST Firefight levels added to Reach as well, as IIRC they’re the only bit of Halo content that isn’t in the MCC.

Does this have the Installation 04 Firefight level (a recreation of the cliff edge buildings from the end of Halo CE's second level) that was included with CE Anniversary?

9 minutes ago, Nick R said:

WTF no video saving?

Nooo! That's disappointing, as Score Attack was my most-played Firefight gametype. Admittedly that was because it was the only way a solo Firefight player could earn a decent number of credits and complete Firefight challenges.

Does this have the Installation 04 Firefight level (a recreation of the cliff edge buildings from the end of Halo CE's second level) that was included with CE Anniversary?

Installation 04 is in there - every map from every DLC pack is in there, including the Anniversary pack. They could probably add more game modes to Firefight later, but score attack was my most-played gametype. Might tweet 343 to see if there are any plans to add it.

There must be some way of saving videos, but I'm buggered if I can figure out how.

35 minutes ago, K said:

This is still pretty much the pinnacle of first person shooters for me. The visuals have aged a bit, and weirdly, the higher resolution actually emphasises that aging – the fuzziness of the graphics when playing the original on BC actually hides some of its shortcomings, and make it look a bit less clean and unreal. But man, the design just hasn’t aged at all. Each little setpiece just lays down the foundations, and lets the ensuing battle play out however you want. Each bit is super-open, and can often be approached from a number of directions, with a variety of equipment, with or without a vehicle, and ends differently every time. Just choosing whether to go left or right into an arena can completely change the way it goes.

I played through Reach on my Xbox one via backwards compatibility this year and indeed it does look a bit more fuzzy and also not as vibrant as this new pc version, in addition there is also a slight noise filter to the image as well. I fired up old Reach again last night on my Xbox one to refresh my memory and indeed it looks quite differant to this new version we now have, I'm now tinkering with Reshade to match up the visual output of pc Reach with old Reach.  

popped msi afterburner on so i could see the performance...was running at 144fps at 4k!?! and, not using the whole card! so cranked it to 5k, still 144 at about 90%! i admit this is on a 2080ti, but that is still an insane level of performance! i know its an older game, but the performance is well and truly optimised.

its a shame about the sound, as its clearly fucked! 0_o there is no "oomph" to anything, and the music seem to drown everything out EDIT: - turns out its aknow issue, that is being worked on! - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-november-2019

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

popped msi afterburner on so i could see the performance...was running at 144fps at 4k!?! and, not using the whole card! so cranked it to 5k, still 144 at about 90%! i admit this is on a 2080ti, but that is still an insane level of performance! i know its an older game, but the performance is well and truly optimised.

its a shame about the sound, as its clearly fucked! 0_o there is no "oomph" to anything, and the music seem to drown everything out

I'm playing it on an i7 3770k with a 1070 and it's running at ~120fps at 4k, it's pretty well optimised!

1 hour ago, Max Damage said:

Unfortunately I don't want to play anymore more of this until the devs fix the sound, it's messed up and lacking any kind of centre sounds or something.

Good to hear the sound issues on PC aren't just me, it's awful (on headphones) at the moment.  The low end of the music drowns out everything, the radio chatter is ludicrously loud and the guns all sound like peashooters. It's all so muddy that it feels you basically have no directional sound at all, at least in the campaign.  Changing the audio levels doesn't seem to help.

Loving the game so far though, it's a lot of fun on Heroic.  Is this generally thought of as one of the better Halos?

People's view will vary, but I think it's generally considered the best after the original. It's probably the one with the least wrong with it - it's not unfinished like Halo 2, it's got Elites unlike 3 & ODST, it doesn't switch up the humans vs covenant combat for something completely different and not as good midway through like 4, and doesn't dilute the original setup with a heavy focus on co-op and reviving your teammates like 5.

• Upvote 6

Just had a quick look on my Xbox and it’s telling me that it costs £5.59 with my Gamepass subscription. Is that right? I thought it was free.

Oh, ignore me. I think that’s the price to buy it.

• Empathy 1

32 minutes ago, K said:

People's view will vary, but I think it's generally considered the best after the original. It's probably the one with the least wrong with it - it's not unfinished like Halo 2, it's got Elites unlike 3 & ODST, it doesn't switch up the humans vs covenant combat for something completely different and not as good midway through like 4, and doesn't dilute the original setup with a heavy focus on co-op and reviving your teammates like 5.

What's surprising me is how old school it feels, I thought I'd read that they'd gradually become more and more corridor-shooter as the series went on - but I'm running around massive open maps at 100mph having to figure out how to use the terrain to help me take out a massive swarm of enemies like it's 1999, it's great!

• Upvote 1

I think it's the end of the road for myself and Game Pass on the PC. This is the latest high profile release that, after taking an astonishing 7 hours to download, simply does not work on my PC. No error message - just nothing when I press to play the game. I have had more (terminal) problems with things running through the Game Pass app/MS Store in the few months that through all other launchers combined ever.

Shame as M+K control might have finally allowed me to enjoy a Halo game.

:(

4 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I think it's the end of the road for myself and Game Pass on the PC. This is the latest high profile release that, after taking an astonishing 7 hours to download, simply does not work on my PC. No error message - just nothing when I press to play the game. I have had more (terminal) problems with things running through the Game Pass app/MS Store in the few months that through all other launchers combined ever.

I had that same problem, and it still doesn't launch through Game Pass - but if you open Start you should have a direct icon to it which works.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

It doesn't launch through the app for everyone - myself included.  It works fine via the start menu.

Edit - STEREO!

11 minutes ago, PK said:

I had that same problem, and it still doesn't launch through Game Pass - but if you open Start you should have a direct icon to it which works.

Aah, right. I'll try that later. The whole GP x MS Store interface is a total dog's dinner..

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

It doesn't launch through the app for everyone - myself included.  It works fine via the start menu.

Edit - STEREO!

Bless you!

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Just had a quick look on my Xbox and it’s telling me that it costs £5.59 with my Gamepass subscription. Is that right? I thought it was free.

Oh, ignore me. I think that’s the price to buy it.

It was doing the same for me last night with no mention (as there normally is) of it being free with Gamepass. Thought perhaps it was just a bit of a glitch but nope, when I clicked on it, it went to the page were it takes the payment from you. 

Went into the App and downloaded it from there instead :).

8 hours ago, womble9 said:

It was doing the same for me last night with no mention (as there normally is) of it being free with Gamepass. Thought perhaps it was just a bit of a glitch but nope, when I clicked on it, it went to the page were it takes the payment from you. 

Went into the App and downloaded it from there instead :).

I just press B to close the pop up then continue playing. It’s an odd bug to slip through, but perhaps it’s only for those of us who bought MCC?

As per my comment from earlier, I’m really struck by how easy this is – last night I absolutely rinsed through sections that I remember as still being pretty tricky on Heroic, like the bit where the hunters drop in towards the end of Nightfall, or the very end of Tip of the Spear. I presume it’s just that the controls are more responsive and that the visuals don’t have that blurry effect that seems to leave slight trails after everything, so it’s easier to land precise shots, but none of the other Halo games have been quite so affected by the shift to 1080P / 60fps. Maybe the overload of visual effects in the 360 version of Reach made it a bit sluggish. I’m itching to get through it and restart on Legendary, so I can see whether that’s any easier.

Also: score attack and other Firefight gametypes are still in there! They’re just not in the matchmaking bit – you can select them through custom firefight.

• Upvote 2

The best thing I found on this is that the maps I spent endless hours creating in Forge back in the day are still there. It was a great nostalgia hit running around them last night.

If anyone fancies some custom games on them, let me know. Had some great matches on them in the past.

• Upvote 3

Very frustrating.  Bought this a few weeks ago to play the original Halo just for nostalgia.  Not interested in any of the other games, at least, not initially.  But as far as I can see, the game requires an 88Gb install, followed by a 45Gb update just to actually begin the installation.  Once the game installer gets to the "ready to start" bit you can go to the launcher and untick all the stuff you don't want, but there doesn't seem to be a way to start the installation without freeing up all that space, even though you know you're not going to use it.  I've had to delete so much stuff as I only have an original 500Gb Xbox.

on the xbox, from within the game you can select which components to install. but yeah it is rather large! could you get a cheap external hdd to use with it?

Can do, it's more the complaint that, for example, if you only want to play Halo, the install is 18Gb, but in order to do that you need to create 88Gb of space, start the install, then untick all the other games you didn't want.  There's no way to start the install without deleting stuff to make room, even though you know you are creating room for the games that you will be unticking as soon as you get the option to do so.

On 04/12/2019 at 12:42, Mike S said:

Search for MCC in the start menu and run it from there. I'm having the same issue.

• Upvote 1

They've fenced off parts of Boneyard and moved the weapons around. That was totally the reason I was really bad, not the fact that I'm crap. 

I am loving Reach, Even though the game types are the TU versions, I’m not sure they’re the latest ones as there’s a lot of armour lock still.

I really miss the classic Halo (basically pre-4). I hope Infinite is more Reach than 4 and 5 (although 5 was better than 4). 

I think infinite is gonna go open world rpg-lite.

You can kind of see little snippets of this in halo 5, but I reckon this time we'll get the full Monty. 

At least I kind of hope so.

(I'm gonna be so wrong)

I'm not finding the weapons as fun as I remember them being. The DMR is still amazing but the assault rifle just feels a bit naff and most of the energy weapons don't seem as fun to use as I remember. Also trying to take out a shielded enemy takes too long with kinetic weapons; I know using energy weapons is supposed to be better but I don't remember kinetic ones being this ineffective.

Maybe Destiny's gun play has spoiled me, with the upgradeable weapons and the wide variety of them? I don't mind so much picking up weapons as I find them, it forces you to adapt, it's just that they're not that satisfying. I know there's a separate issue with the sound quality of the weapons, it's not just that. they just don't feel accurate or particularly interesting?

Still loving the atmosphere and story, and the gameplay systems in general are great, I'm just not enjoying the moment-to-moment play. Which is kind of Halo's thing.