Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Exclusively Flood levels can be a chore for the most part but I strongly feel that a Halo without the Flood just isn't really Halo to me. Those 3 or 4 way clusterfucks with Flood, Covenant, and Sentinels all blowing each other up and you darting around in the middle of it all are peak Halo to me, absolutely exhilarating. I've never replayed any of the games without them (ODST, Reach, H4) as I just felt they all lacked that special something in comparison.

13 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Exclusively Flood levels can be a chore for the most part but I strongly feel that a Halo without the Flood just isn't really Halo to me. Those 3 or 4 way clusterfucks with Flood, Covenant, and Sentinels all blowing each other up and you darting around in the middle of it all are peak Halo to me, absolutely exhilarating. I've never replayed any of the games without them (ODST, Reach, H4) as I just felt they all lacked that special something in comparison.

Yup, it was genuinely the most amazing things when those battles happened. No one else has managed to create those ‘events’ as convincingly as Bungie did. Actually, aside from the ones I’m currently seeing in some of the missions in Destiny 2 I’m not sure anyone’s even bothered much!

Which is a pity!

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've got an Xbox again, a full replay of the Halo games has started. 

Halo still feels as fresh as it ever did...although, I'd forgotten just how gaudy some of the anniversary textures are - flipping back to the original for the interior stuff and it's by far the better aesthetic going on - but the landscapes look lovely in spiffy HD-land.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Library though - hadn't run through that particular level for years, and having Guilty Spark humming away whilst clobbering Flood was great fun.

Wonderful stuff. 

Sound mix is pretty awful though - had to put the subtitles on, as I honestly couldn't hear a word anyone was saying.

Well, two things happened tonight - there was an update for the collection, and there's a new title screen going on (with what looks like a huge convenant rave happening), but also it would appear that they added ODST onto my collection without me paying for it. Which is nice and rather unexpected!

Oh, and I'm busy playing through Halo 2 and I'm actually enjoying it this time around. The first time was a major fucking chore to get to the end (as far as I could remember), but despite some bloody atrocious map layouts (the level on the Covenant home world/ship thing is the most confusing thing ever as far as I'm concerned), it's brilliant fun now.

God knows how anyone could get through it on Legendary though...there are some mental sections in it.

Edit: clearly ODST was a cruel trick, and it's now locked as it was before :( . Still, for the small amount of money it is, I'll not complain...

12 hours ago, JoeK said:

Well, two things happened tonight - there was an update for the collection, and there's a new title screen going on (with what looks like a huge convenant rave happening), but also it would appear that they added ODST onto my collection without me paying for it. Which is nice and rather unexpected!

Oh, and I'm busy playing through Halo 2 and I'm actually enjoying it this time around. The first time was a major fucking chore to get to the end (as far as I could remember), but despite some bloody atrocious map layouts (the level on the Covenant home world/ship thing is the most confusing thing ever as far as I'm concerned), it's brilliant fun now.

God knows how anyone could get through it on Legendary though...there are some mental sections in it.

Edit: clearly ODST was a cruel trick, and it's now locked as it was before :( . Still, for the small amount of money it is, I'll not complain...

Sniper Alley on Mombasa, the valley bit on Delta Halo with all the insect fuckers, the Hunters in that giant throne room (also Delta Halo?) and that prison level on the Covenant home world/ship were the worst sections in the game from what I remember. I'm honestly in no rush to go back to them on Legendary, but being a glutton for punishment I went straight into Halo on Legendary and I'm getting my arse handed to me on every damn level. It's been a painful grind and I'm only on The Silent Cartographer. Fuck knows how I did this first time around, and making the par times? Lol.

I haven't played Halo since it's release on the original xbox launch, but having recently signed up to gamepass and yesterday being rainy I thought I'd see if I can get my 10 year old son interested.

It was initially hard to drag him away from fortnite, but we are now having an absolute blast playing through in co-op.

It's the most gaming fun I've had in years!

• 1 month later...

I was watching their MCC:Reach PC social stream on Mixer yesterday, it looks really nice. They confirmed MCC is coming to Steam, and not an EGS exclusive thank god. I didnt quite catch it but they were talking about using the Unreal engine for a customisation overlay, to deal with the presentation and managing of in-game items and so forth. Sounded almost like they were referring to Epics work with Fortnite in that regard, but Im not a coder and didnt hear all of their conversation so not really sure what they meant with it. It was just odd they said straight up that they had to utilise Unreal for certain parts of the MCC because they didnt have the time to write these elements into their existing code base themselves, or something to that extent.

https://mixer.com/Halo?vod=106980056

13 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

They confirmed MCC is coming to Steam, and not an EGS exclusive thank god.

I suspect Microsoft would publish an EGS exclusive sometime after the end of the heat death of the universe.

• 5 months later...

Pre-installs on almost everything never pan out well at all.

The one exception - and I say this with no small amount of pain - is Fallen Order on EA Origin. 

Had it all pre-installed earlier on last week, and it just ran spot on.

26 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Pre-installs on almost everything never pan out well at all.

What do you mean? To be fair, I’ve only ever pre-installed stuff on my Xbox, but that’s been perfect every time.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

What do you mean? To be fair, I’ve only ever pre-installed stuff on my Xbox, but that’s been perfect every time.

Ah, on PCs you kind of throw the dice to see if it'll actually work or not.

RDR2 was a case in point - 150-odd GB download, and then come the actual release it decided it wanted to unencrypt the thing. I would have thought that would have been a fairly quick process, but no - it took roughly the same amount of time as the download.

3 hours ago, pledge said:

No you can pick individual games (on Xbox at least)

I think only Reach is initially available to PC with the rest to follow over the next year. Not that I can actually download it at all of course given how shit awful the MS/Gamepass store is for PC.

I'm not a huge fan of the Halo games I've played but will be happy to have a crack at a Halo game with M+K rather than a pad as playing FPS's with a pad is totally unnatural to me. Controls that I get on with might stop me bouncing off the series..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm irrationally excited about playing all these again on PC it has to be said. Especially as I never really played Reach much back in the day.

Admittedly, I have no idea what the release schedule of the others will be (I'm assuming they'll all come along before the end of 2020), but Reach will be a lovely start.

Yeah its just the license key for now, apparently. So still a bit download at launch hour. Someone mentioned 30 gigs on era which would indicate higher res textures, but I dont know

It just occurred to me that I havent played 3 since back then and maybe should start with that.

New launch trailer for Reach