Floex

Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

And in other Halo news

Halo: The Master Chief Collection coming to Xbox One this year, collects Halos 1-4

Master Chief is getting a facelift with an HD collection of his exploits. We've learned that Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4 are being collected in a Master Chief-focused HD remaster coming from Microsoft. Our sources say that the set will zero in on Halo's most famous soldier to refresh audience's memories ahead of Halo 5's release, so curiosities likeHalo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach likely won't be a part of the package. The game's developer is unknown at this point, but considering that Saber Interactive handled Combat Evolved Anniversary and is also working on an unannounced Xbox One project, the team is a likely suspect. Also unclear are plans for digital distribution, resolution and frame-rate (Microsoft bragged that that the next Halo will run at a "blistering" 60fps), piecemeal releases, or if the games will surface on other platforms as well (PC, anyone?).

Microsoft has gone on record saying that it would love to have Halo release more than once every three years. It's used different developers to fill that task since, but we're still pushing two years since Halo 4 launched. To commemorate the first game's 10th birthday, Microsoft released Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary for the Xbox 360, which served as a stop-gap for the 343 Industries-developed Halo 4; there's precedent for this sort of thing. This remake makes a lot of sense for Redmond for a couple of different reasons: it satisfies the more-frequent release desire and it helps fans get caught up on the story. It also gives them the chance to re-experience some of the best console shooters with better looks and sound -- everyone wins!

We reached out for official word from Microsoft and are waiting to hear back, but we're not expecting much beyond the usual, "We don't comment on rumors or speculation."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/16/halo-the-master-chief-collection/

Well, if you like Halo and have somehow missed out I guess this is good news.

They can fire ODST out of an air-lock for all I care, but if they're going for full on Halo: Anniversary style remasters then it's a shame we won't get to see the campaign of Reach looking its finest because it was frequently spectacular.

We all know what a technical dog Halo 2 was but it's Halo 3 that could really benefit from this, even at the time it was a very plain looking game despite (or more likely because of) the sheer scale.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Never got on with it, it's Halo minus all grandeur with rubbish weapons and a half-baked hub world. The missions themselves completely lack momentum, I'd play a dating sim if you stuck those combat mechanics in it but still found ODST fairly tedious.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd quite like to see Halo 4 in 1080p (surely the Xbox One can handle a 360 game at that res?), but no ODST or Reach just sounds stupid to me.

It'd be nice, but apparently, if it's all true, they're shooting for 60fps - and given the Bone's dogshit GPU/RAM, I doubt it.

Regardless, it's a great idea that this could be a thing.

Why does ODST split opinion so much? I thought the campaign was excellent, as said above, a greatest hits of Halo.

Is your favourite Beatles album 'The Best of The Beatles'?

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

Exactly or a Beatles Remix album?

Abbey Road. What's that got to do with Halo ODST? Oh, hang on, a lot. most bands refine their art through a number of albums and then produce an album that brings together their best work in new and exciting ways. So let's call ODST Paul's Boutique shall we?

I think the reason that people polarise ODST is simply because it doesn't have a number at the end, therefore is like some kind of ugly stepchild.

They can fire ODST out of an air-lock for all I care, but if they're going for full on Halo: Anniversary style remasters then it's a shame we won't get to see the campaign of Reach looking its finest because it was frequently spectacular.

We all know what a technical dog Halo 2 was but it's Halo 3 that could really benefit from this, even at the time it was a very plain looking game despite (or more likely because of) the sheer scale.

Halo 3 looked plain at launch? I always remember it being hugely impressive around the time and I still think it holds up well enough today. Out of interest, what games on the 360 were better looking around that time?

It's 2 that needs the most work. Not only in the graphics department, but the Brutes were a poor enemy to fight back then and those Jackal snipers can get fucked. If it's a straight up graphical overhaul like Anniversary I'll be a bit disappointed.

It's 2 that needs the most work. Not only in the graphics department, but the Brutes were a poor enemy to fight back then and those Jackal snipers can get fucked. If it's a straight up graphical overhaul like Anniversary I'll be a bit disappointed.

Playing Halo 2 for the first time was like watching your favourite pet get run over.

They should release the original Halo 2 E3 reveal, looked so much better than the final game.

What a weird franchise, though. H:CE is still one of, if not the best game of all time, but the sequels? Some of the most horrible shit that I've ever played.

• Upvote 2

ODST never got going. It was precisely a Greatest Hits album. Levels that bore no relation to one another, all far too short to leave a lasting impression. Reach had a middle ground with long levels but it still felt fragmented. For me 3 and 1 were easily the best Halo games, because they felt like journeys. 2 was just a mess.

3 is my favourite (I find 1 a bit bloated at times), and I reckon if they'd not made the stupid decision to omit Elites for some banal reason it'd be hands down the best game, too.

Why on Earth would anyone choose to remake the pile of shit that is Halo 2 and not do Reach?

Besides, I'm getting fucked off with all these remakes. Naughty Dog doing TLoU is just as bad. Use the resources to do something new for God's sake!