Jump to content
englishbob

Blade Runner 2049

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I'm going next week on my Birthday. I can't think of a better present. Didn't realise they were bothering with 3D for this release though, WTF is that about?

 

Soundtrack is out today :omg:

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My god. Absolutely mesmeric, still feel a little woozy from an IMAX screening... It has no right to be this good; it looked like the most cynical of reboots / rehashes when announced, Hollywood milking the teat of a long retired cow, but they did it... those crazy bastards actually did it. It's deft, epic but personal, hypnotic, beautiful, thought-provoking... Honestly, if you have any a trace of love for science fiction films, you owe it to yourself to go and see this on the biggest screen possible, it's absolutely stunning.

 

And everyone brings their A-game...

 

everyone-gif-4.gif

  • Upvote 7
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, glb said:

My god. Absolutely mesmeric, still feel a little woozy from an IMAX screening... It has no right to be this good; it looked like the most cynical of reboots / rehashes when announced, Hollywood milking the teat of a long retired cow, but they did it... those crazy bastards actually did it. It's deft, epic but personal, hypnotic, beautiful, thought-provoking... Honestly, if you have any a trace of love for science fiction films, you owe it to yourself to go and see this on the biggest screen possible, it's absolutely stunning.

 

And everyone brings their A-game...

 

everyone-gif-4.gif

Did you see in 3d? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did. Was the only screening available at the time I could go. To be honest, I forgot I was watching 3D after 20 minutes (usually wear reading glasses in front of a screen anyway). The 3D is not at all gimmicky, and certainly not intrusive. Sat four rows from the back of a 20-odd row screen, pretty central in the row, so had to turn my head to read a few on-screen elements, but even then didn't really notice a shift in the image, as sometimes happens in 3D films when your eyes are not centred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going tonight at 8pm and practically coutning down the minutes... HYPE HYPE HYPE

 

Regarding the composer, I read an interview with Villneuve recently where he praised the guy to the heavens and said he was still his number one choice for a composer for his films; it was just that, as they shaped the edit, Villneuve realised he wanted a more "Vangelis-like" score. He leaves it there but I assume Johan either didn't want to change his stuff or was unable to get where the director wanted him to go. It *is* weird that he's got a very specific "I can't talk about my BR2049" work clause in his contract though so I don't know if we'll ever really know what went on.

Anyway....

HYPE HYPE HYPE

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my tickets booked as well for tonight. Hopefully the Mrs. will allow me to cane a massive joint in celebration of this event (I'm still banned from weed).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just left the cinema 10 minutes ago. 

 

 

Oh my lord.... Stunning. Just stunning

 

 

Beautifully stunning. 

 

I..... I.... Just stunning. 

 

 

See it. Now.., on the biggest screen you can find. 

 

Oh God it's so good. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this really is the new Mad Max? (Initially Nice trailer, film probably won't be that good but then it's actually the best blockbuster in years) I remember earlier in the thread that this would be a Tron Legacy (Nice visuals and soundtrack, not much else)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blade Runner, the film that never needed a sequel, the Ridley Scott legacy destruction tour, the awful trailers which look like a shit action movie.

 

I was going to hate it, hell after Prometheus I wasn’t even going to see it.  Then the critical buzz started, I didn’t read any of the reviews, and went in blind.

 

2049 destroyed my expectations.  I was captivated for two & a half hours.  I’m still processing it an hour later.  This film is more than worthy of the Blade Runner name.

 

(Only things I wish - it was a Vangelis score and people would stop hiring Jared Leto)

 

edit: don’t get me wrong, the soundtrack is excellent but Vangelis is such a big component of Blade Runner to me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blade Runner 2049 was not only better than the original but one of the most visually striking and thought provoking films of the decade. Denis Vileneuve is now 5 for 5 and possibly the best director working today. Absolute class! I sat with chills nearly the entire run time. Incredible stuff!

 

Ps the woman who played Luv was sensational what an intense performance 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tremendously good. Pushed the themes of the original into new areas without being tied down to everything. Quite a sombre experience. Long but never boring, and way more interested in atmosphere and character than action (which might bounce off the Saturday night crowd). Looks astonishing and sounds AMAZING. Pretty much everything I wanted.

 

Dune is in great hands.

 

Edit: Also, the least '3D' movie I've ever had the misfortune to have to see in 3D. Clearly some kind of contractual obligation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Blade Runner 2049 was not only better than the original but one of the most visually striking and thought provoking films of the decade. Denis Vileneuve is now 5 for 5 and possibly the best director working today. Absolute class! I sat with chills nearly the entire run time. Incredible stuff!

 

Ps the woman who played Luv was sensational what an intense performance 

 

5 for 5? You haven't seen Incendies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to see it, sadly not at the cinema I wanted to, but still. I enjoyed it, wanna see it again. Visually astonishing. The question though.,will it hold up in 35 years time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

Managed to see it, sadly not at the cinema I wanted to, but still. I enjoyed it, wanna see it again. Visually astonishing. The question though.,will it hold up in 35 years time...

 

The original doesn't. 

And yeah, 6 for 6.

  • Downvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to buy tickets for this as a present, what's the absolute best viewing experience available in London? Is it the odeon BFI IMAX? Should I do 3D or just normal?

Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.