Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Nope. It was right in the previous Souls games, but this time round you're free to heal, and use any items, it seems!

You get a reduced HP bar, though, which is a bit lame. I'd originally assumed it was scaling me down to match the host, but I'm not sure that's actually true.

Cheers, I have just read that it does try to lower your health to match the hosts, I can't confirm though I have yet to be summoned

That giant pig's face snorting and growling as it got itself stuck is the funniest thing I've seen in a game in years. I think a lot of the comedy was from how relentlessly bleak the rest of the game is.

I fought a pig in a challenge dungeon which charged right at me, I dodged to the side and it clipped through the wall and fell out of the level :lol:

Just a really funny enemy all round. They're too big to navigate the environments most of the time, I'm usually fighting a snout sticking out of a pillar.

Cheers, I have just read that it does try to lower your health to match the hosts, I can't confirm though I have yet to be summoned

If I remember I'll try check my stats next time I coop, before & during. There was a great thread on reddit Curtis posted a link to, about getting coop with buddies working, but there were a few good tips that apply generally..

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/30nyfc/psa_having_trouble_connecting_to_coop_try_this/

Highlights I remember:

- works better if you're at a lantern when you ring the bells.

- if you're using a password to get a mate involved, the helper should ring their bell before the host

- if you've used the suspend/resume while bloodborne was running, reboot the game or else multiplayer will be broken (sigh)

- once you've connected, if you're the host, use the blank shot thing to stop searching for more players (improves the framerate massively, apparently)

- there does appear to be a level range restriction (+-10% AND +-10levels)

- summoning won't work in areas where the boss has been defeated (but you can still *BE* summoned if you've beaten the boss)

It's weird if there's a level restriction AND it nerfs your stats when you go to help people, don't you think? Especially if it transpires that more than just HP gets altered..

Edit - hopefully from will fix a bunch of that stuff eventually, though.

Oh and I'm not sure that cross over the Bell symbol means much when you're searching for hosts.. I rang the Bell just outside Father Gascoigne's boss room, immediately went inside (causing the cross to appear) and started looking about for any additional items I may have missed, about 30 seconds later I was summoned! (and appeared outside the room, right by the fog door. Scared the host as I snuck up behind him!

Question about FRENZY and a certain f*cked-up location/creature combo...

Down below the Cathedral Ward, in the empty circular church with the font/bowl in the middle of the floor... what the hell is that massive creature that appears, looking like a ribcage with a heart behind it, and promptly frenzy squeezes you to death? Is it survivable? I have some health left after the squeeze but the fall always finishes me off. And if you survive it, does it open the double doors at the back? Just a literal dead end for me at the moment.

I've killed the pig in Central Yarnham twice. Both times from behind. Two molotovs or get him stuck in the little doorway and use the transformed saw cleaver.

Papa Gazza went down the second time I faced him. My heart was beating like mad, though.

I had a look around Cathedral ward but the only route I found that wasn't locked or blocked at this point in time was the route to Old Yarnham, and now I'm being shot at by a guy with a gattling gun. Is this the only route available to me?

Question about FRENZY and a certain f*cked-up location/creature combo...

Down below the Cathedral Ward, in the empty circular church with the font/bowl in the middle of the floor... what the hell is that massive creature that appears, looking like a ribcage with a heart behind it, and promptly frenzy squeezes you to death? Is it survivable? I have some health left after the squeeze but the fall always finishes me off. And if you survive it, does it open the double doors at the back? Just a literal dead end for me at the moment.

There's an item you get from an NPC which you need. Location:

The Forbbiden woods. There's a house with an orange light. He gives you the Tonsil stone. As for the monster...you'll find out!

Progress with VA.

Attempts 4-8 were shithouse. Couldn't read fuck and just kept on getting reamed within seconds. Twat.

Suddenly attempt 9 I figured it out and got her to 10% health, then managed to get stuck in a corner. Attempts 10 and 11 also got her down to almost zero health. Then I got all excited and shit meself.

Now I'm out of the thing that stops her healing. Cock. I will 'do her' tonight. As it were.

I don't understand how you can run out of blood vials so early on. I'm regularly hitting the max inventory warning. I'm swimming in blood vials.

Do you have a high discovery stat? I just didn't pick that many up, I had the full complement of twenty for the first two attempts, used a good chunk of them in two drawn out attempts. If you have a low vitality stat you need to stay topped up, even then as a general point there are a lot more things in this game that will 100 to 0 you in a single attack than either of the previous two games.

Granted vials haven't been a problem after the first boss, but it caused me to have an obnoxious start to the game that's set the tone for the rest of it.

I've found with this, that a lot of people (not all) who are finding it tough/a disappointment are comparing it way too much to previous Souls games. Its understandable as a lot is still similar, but it is its own beast. Those bemoaning the lack of a shield/magic/variation, its a more action orientated adventure. Jumping in for one or two hits and paying enemies too much respect isn't the way forward, get in there and dance with the fuckers.

This video gives a good example (Spoilered due to boss, its BSB):

That is, in general, how I've been approaching it. Pressure on everything, only backing out if I desperately need to heal. Duck and weave. Its a bloody boxing sim.

But you can play the previous games just like that as well, in one way it's even more effective because the bosses seem to have less health. But you can only do that effectively when you've learned the attack patterns, otherwise you're mashing the dodge button and hoping for the best. That finds more success than in Dark Souls is because the Bloodborne dodge is generally better and stamina management has more or less been removed from the game. Even parrying is less of a commitment than it used to be since it's now a projectile that you get to dash in on a successful it to use, and it doesn't root you to the spot. I think the timing window might even be larger too.

The whole game has been geared towards this one particular style of play in subtle ways (as explained above) and less subtle ways, like making the shield worthless and shitting on it in the description. It's hard not to be disappointed by all the variety being streamlined away when the series has gotten so much replay value from it in the past.

This is all with a grain of salt because I am three bosses in right now. I am really hoping to come back in a few days and confess how wrong I was about everything.

It doesn't say that. :huh: You have to give it time to search properly, even with password priority.

Shit! Where the hell did I get that from? Looking at it now it seems I just made up my own rule out of the first few comments! Lol!

Thank god for that. Father G defeated after 5 attempts. Every time I was looking ok until he changed........... On the 5th attempts I brought my friends the molotov's and once he changed, I took my time (hiding like a little girl) and let him have it. Felt good after I can tell you :)

I've hit a weird wall where there are only two places for me to go, in both of which I die instantly and cheaply from the first enemy hitting me once (or get gangbanged by a bunch of enemies, instantly, every time). It doesn't feel like I'm supposed to be in either of these places. But according to the list of places, I've done everything else. IDGI. I made the next non-random chalice dungeon and got gangbanged by eight spiders 10 times in a row, spent an hour looking at the load screen more than the game and gave up. Huh? And it's all been kind of easy-ish up until this point. The game seems intent on forcing me to sprint through and ignore 75% of the level to find a switch or kill a reinforcement caller, which isn't fun at all.

One of the areas is totally at odds with the rest of the game and feels like something out of Dark Souls 2

Cainhurst castle, full of ghosts and vampire bats? In the midst of a story about Lovecraftian cosmic horror? What?

But apparently it's optional, which means I've only got one place I HAVE to go, where I get killed instantly.

So the obvious answer is to do a bit of co-op and get some souls and items whilst helping someone else out, right? Yeah, doesn't work. I simply can't join other games, anywhere, ever. At any time.

There is a broken platform at the bottom of the workshop tower, drop down.

Did you like the pit in DS2?

Oh god, I have a feeling this is where I've been dying for the past few attempts. I can kind of see where it wants me to go to mitigate fall damage, but christ it's not giving me a lot of wiggle room. :lol:

EDIT: I don't think I've tried a torch yet; will see if that helps...

EDIT 2: did it first time with a torch. :D

Do people generally just stick to their chosen starter weapons?

I've started with Axe and got it to +3, given how rare upgrade items are, it seems wasteful to upgrade a new weapon to +1 when the damage won't be as high as my original one.

Moz:

cainhurst is best left for much later on I think. Reading between the lines I guess the other area is Yahar'gul? You absolutely shouldn't be getting one-shot by anything. Have you tried different armour? The right gear for an area really does make a difference.

As for the co-op I've no idea. You've rebooted the game right? And are ringing bells in areas appropriate for your level? You have the worst luck with this stuff.

I've started with Axe and got it to +3, given how rare upgrade items are, it seems wasteful to upgrade a new weapon to +1 when the damage won't be as high as my original one.

The cane is my primary, but I've used the Kirkhammett for smash damage on bosses once or twice. The cane gets materials priority whilst the hammer gets the leftovers.

Yeah, they're really not rare by the time you get to the third boss. I've got about 50 blood shards and have the starting weapons up to at least +3.

Managed a fairly successful afternoon, and whilst I struggled with SOY (I had to go away and level up a little - to around 55, I think) I minced Rom. Now I've opened up another entrance to UV, and have a couple of other optional (I think) areas with all shortcuts open to their respective bosses.