Bloodborne - GOTD edition

2 minutes ago, squirtle said:

Obligatory the real Bloodborne starts here post.

How did you get on with Rom?

Beat on the second attempt - fortunately I discovered the run button a short time before! That helped. Rom wriggled around a fair bit, but her rancid thrashing was too desperate to be effective. She was put to the blade. 

I'm still early doors here but after a good half hour to an hour I offed Father Gascoigne finally (The beast form had me totally psyched out until I learned about the music boxes use which I already had!). I then felt like I had a massive long session but somehow not hit another boss yet. I explored the Cathedral areas and ventured into Old Yarnham up till you encounter another hunter and then went back and explored the other part of the cathedral after buying the Hunter Chief emblem.

My session I decided was best left concluded when

Spoiler

I ventured into a large room with an ominous central brazier. "I'll just check this single door" I chimed to myself as an invisible hand swept me up and crushed me into paste. :lol:

Guess I'll go the other ways for now.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

I'm still early doors here but after a good half hour to an hour I offed Father Gascoigne finally (The beast form had me totally psyched out until I learned about the music boxes use which I already had!). I then felt like I had a massive long session but somehow not hit another boss yet. I explored the Cathedral areas and ventured into Old Yarnham up till you encounter another hunter and then went back and explored the other part of the cathedral after buying the Hunter Chief emblem.

My session I decided was best left concluded when

Hide contents

I ventured into a large room with an ominous central brazier. "I'll just check this single door" I chimed to myself as an invisible hand swept me up and crushed me into paste. :lol:

Guess I'll go the other ways for now.

Awesome. You have three bosses open to you right now. I'll spoiler my advice for the best choice right now for you...

Spoiler

Head to Hemwick Charnel Lane. Approach the Grand Cathedral and instead of going left to where you got grabbed by the big hand, head left, through the woods and into the Lane. There is a really useful tool to get at the end of the section and the boss isn't that hard either.

I am currently in a state of having abandoned this game about 6 months ago, shortly after beating Father Gascoigne - I did explore a bit further and through online play I got to take a look at the next boss in someone else’s game (which I could barely scratch and got murdered by). It just always seemed too much like work to try and continue.

I’m thinking I might try and break my mental conditioning, which is to keep my soul level (or whatever the BB equivalent is) as low as possible and go for efficiency. If I just make a bloated build with loads of experience put into my health bar so I can crack on and see the rest of the game, am I going to be spoiling it for myself?

It’s a real pain point that I gave up on this (or rather, it got ousted by TLOU2 and Tsushima) so late in to the game, it’s an incredible incredible game and it’s really cool reading people going on that same journey.

My PS4 is packed up now, having been replaced. I live in hope that a PC port does eventually come along though as I’d love to start again and play through to the end. 

Going from a position of total failure twice with BB, to cracking it (beating Father Gascoigne on my second attempt will always go down as my proudest gaming achievement) was my highlight of 2020

15 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I’m thinking I might try and break my mental conditioning, which is to keep my soul level (or whatever the BB equivalent is) as low as possible and go for efficiency. If I just make a bloated build with loads of experience put into my health bar so I can crack on and see the rest of the game, am I going to be spoiling it for myself?

Not at all. Upgrades are pretty marginal increments so when you're feeling more like you have a decent health buffer, you will naturally put a few more in Strength or Stamina, etc. It's a pretty limited system unless you're playing towards a specific build on your fifth run or whatever, but also gives the ability to balance difficulty as appropriate for you. 

I’ve really hit a brick wall with the 3 hunters in the Yahar’gul chapel. They’re very fast and it’s easy to get stun locked as they each take it in turns to lay into you. 

I think my main issue is I’m not strong enough to quickly take one of them down - I think if I could improve my strength a little and cheese one of them with a back attack (the one under the stairs) I would stand a better chance. 

Hmm. 

And now they’re beat! Coming here and posting the above really helped me realise what I needed to do, which worked - I did have to cheese it slightly, insofar as it was enough to kill one of them, die, then return with full health and their positions be reset so I could sneak up and cheese one of them again. 

Not the most gallant of victories, but a win is a win. :P

As it's very unlikely I'll be playing through this myself in the foreseeable future, and I don't really mind being spoiled, I've been watching TB Skyen's playthrough/boss design analysis of this. (He did a series on the Dark Souls bosses that I really liked.)

But just before he reached Vicar Amelia, something unfortunate and unlikely happened, which broke one of the NPC questlines. Skip to 15:10 in this video. You don't need to watch much of it; 15:10-19:20 covers the Pizza Incident and its aftermath:

Spoiler

If you don't want to watch it:

Spoiler

He used a Bold Hunter's Mark to teleport to his last lantern, at the same time as IRL the door was knocked for his flatmate's pizza delivery. Assuming he was safe, he got up and answered it. While he was AFK, the teleport took him into the middle of the Eileen/Henryk fight, and she died.

People in the stream chat explained that normally, while that fight is going on it should not be possible to to warp to that lantern from the Hunter's Dream; he only got there because he did a Homeward Bone-type teleport.

Because following the questlines is a big part of his streamed playthroughs of the Souls games, he ended up recovering his previous cloud save from PSN, losing several hours of progress (including having to re-fight the Blood-Starved Beast).

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a little while since I visited Yharnam. I managed to reach The One Reborn - and was swiftly killed! I think that memory was putting me off going back, but I decided to get back on the horse today and try again- but not before going after after the other boss that can only be reached down a one-way tunnel in the basement of the chapel. Suffice to say I despatched them both, but I did rely on the assistance of some old hunters to get there a bit quicker. 

Now it’s on to the Nightmare of Mensis. Wow. This is tough. I managed to get to the top of the hill once and very nearly killed the hunter waiting on the bridge into the bargain - how I wish I had! Subsequently spent the next hour being killed over and over again just trying to get to the front door. Those Boulder-throwing no-necks can absolutely get lost! The wolves are tough but easily stunned - not much help if they get you in a combo of attacks though. 

One question - is there any benefit to using the ‘trick’ aspect of the weapons? I know you can switch between single and double-handed forms while attacking and it’ll do an attack while changing but I prefer to use the axe double handed all the time. 

1 minute ago, kris_doe said:

Started this off the back of completing the Demon Souls remake.... Absolutely incredible. Just about to hit the last area, with all optional areas mopped up. Don’t want it to end. 

Have you done the DLC?

22 minutes ago, kris_doe said:

No but I do plan on it after I’ve finished the main quest. 

You need to do it before you finish the main game. If you do the final fight, you go straight into NG+. Without giving away spoilers, going into it after beating MWN is the best time.

57 minutes ago, squirtle said:

You need to do it before you finish the main game. If you do the final fight, you go straight into NG+. Without giving away spoilers, going into it after beating MWN is the best time.

Oh that’s good to know actually. Will get it on the download tonight then. Thanks for the heads up! 

19 hours ago, Popo said:

One question - is there any benefit to using the ‘trick’ aspect of the weapons? I know you can switch between single and double-handed forms while attacking and it’ll do an attack while changing but I prefer to use the axe double handed all the time. 

The transform attacks (i.e. L1 after R1) do increased stagger/poise damage, they are incredibly powerful and useful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I’m back in the saddle, after my second abandonment of the game. Got the urge after reading about everyone struggling on through the PS5 Demon’s Souls. All it took to get me keen again was opening a couple of gates that give me an easier route to where I’m trying to go (after convincing myself to just upgrade stats whenever possible). Let’s see how long I last this time.

My 3 year old son just got out of bed to come and ask for a drink of water while I was playing this. Unable to pause, I just tried to angle my camera away from all the eldritch horror on display and went to get it for him.

He took one look at the screen and said:

Spoiler

Lots of flowers in your game!

18 hours ago, routeburn said:

I've tried again recently, but decided I'll wait for a "next gen update". I just want it in 60fps.

Having gotten quite narked with the game during my last session I gave up for a while and played loads of other things on Series X - all 60fps - and coming back to Bloodborne again yesterday did take me a good 10 minutes to re-adjust. It’s fine once you do, but man those 10 minutes are brutal on the eyes. 

Anyway, I’ve now resorted to using a guide to find optional areas, both to see what they’re like and to grind out a few more levels before getting back in the critical path, but...  it’s starting to feel it’s overstayed it’s welcome. 

I kinda want it to just end now. I’ve played it for a very long time, it’s been fun, but the gameplay loop doesn’t really change and I’ve got any number of other games vying for my attention - many of them running at 60fps!

Any advice for the Nightmare Frontier? The poisoning waters are a particular ball-ache. 

2 hours ago, squirtle said:

If you have no intention of doing much more and not doing the Chalice Dungeons, then the NF doesn't offer much to the main game and is worth a skip. Worst area in the game. 

Thanks Squirtle. I’ll visit Cainhurst Castle just for levelling up purposes, then have another crack at Nightmare Mensis again. 

3 hours ago, Popo said:

Thanks Squirtle. I’ll visit Cainhurst Castle just for levelling up purposes, then have another crack at Nightmare Mensis again. 

Whereas Cainhurst is perhaps the best area in the game. Good times ahead and an amazing boss.

I’m still playing!

I’ve been tackling things as I come to them, unless I nope out of a situation. When I feel like I’m pretty deep into an area I put out my co-op signal, that way I can recon a boss in someone else’s game and not feel too much pressure.

I did this in Old Yharnam, and the person who summoned me had also summoned an NPC hunter. I reached the boss door myself this morning, but haven’t found a summon mark for the NPC. So I googled (start of a slippery slope).

Turns out my approach of tackling things naturally is causing me to make mistakes ><

Spoiler

So a big feature of Old Yharnam is obviously the guy with the machine gun. As soon as I found the ladder up to his perch I went up there to kick his arse - discovered he was clearly out of my league - encouraged him to fall off the tower. Yay, I win! My googling told me I am supposed to make friends with him after beating the boss...  how the hell am I supposed to know that? Considering it’s impossible to freely explore the level without that guy killing you there was no way I would have considered leaving him alive.

Then the reason for the missing NPC - not available if you have already killed Vicar Amelia. Well, I killed her as soon as I found her location, which in my game came first. Again, how am I supposed to know that?? Additionally it seems like the thing to do is to kill her to open the fog door in the woods outside, but *don’t* touch the glowing loot after the boss fight so the phase of the game doesn’t change prematurely. Seriously?? 

I’m now wondering if I’m better off just following a guide so I don’t screw things up further.