Bloodborne - GOTD edition

17 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Haven’t played BB since release, but last night I dreamed I was fighting one of the game’s werewolves in a Chalice Dungeon room. Vivid as fuck.

Scourge beasts...

49 minutes ago, squirtle said:

That I did. I don't just want the symbol though, but the whole rune, circle and all. It needs to look like the rune, or what's the point?

Take the best pic you have to a good artist and discuss what can be done. Get a preview drawing from them and make sure you are happy with the design

17 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Take the best pic you have to a good artist and discuss what can be done. Get a preview drawing from them and make sure you are happy with the design

I will. I'll accept no substitutes!

• 2 weeks later...

After finally killing that twat of an Amygdala in the defiled and cursed dungeon, I'm now banging my head against snout faced beast. Can't wait for these chalice dungeons to be done. Two more bosses, one last trophy...

On 16/10/2020 at 22:15, squirtle said:

After finally killing that twat of an Amygdala in the defiled and cursed dungeon, I'm now banging my head against snout faced beast. Can't wait for these chalice dungeons to be done. Two more bosses, one last trophy...

I was absolutely loving the game until I got to Watch Dog of the Old Lords in the defiled chalice and after a lot of attempts just had to admit defeat and give up. A real shame really as it soured the game slightly for me and I didn't even go back and do the last boss or two of the main story after being completely obsessed with the game for a month or so before that.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I was absolutely loving the game until I got to Watch Dog of the Old Lords in the defiled chalice and after a lot of attempts just had to admit defeat and give up. A real shame really as it soured the game slightly for me and I didn't even go back and do the last boss or two of the main story after being completely obsessed with the game for a month or so before that.

Strangely, nothing in the cursed and defiled dungeon took much doing aside from the Amygdala at the end who was a complete bastard. I can't say I blame you for giving up on them but I would heartily recommend going back to the main story and seeing it out as the last few bosses in the main game are ace.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

They’re not essential though. I’d say the main game is THE essential game, the chalices are good if you want more content.

1 hour ago, squirtle said:

Strangely, nothing in the cursed and defiled dungeon took much doing aside from the Amygdala at the end who was a complete bastard. I can't say I blame you for giving up on them but I would heartily recommend going back to the main story and seeing it out as the last few bosses in the main game are ace.

Looking back, I probably had a harder time with Watchdog; it took me a while to see all of the wind-ups, whilst Amy seemed a little more predictable if you were playing safe and giving yourself a lot of room.

And fucking done! Headless Bloodletting Beast done in my first attempt tonight (so that was four in total) and Yarnham done on the third attempt! 

My first platinum.

So, the Yarnham Stone... It's got to be linked to the Cainhurst lot hasn't it? The description of it is very similar to the Queenly Flesh. 

11 hours ago, Richard said:

If you ever want someone to help you kill that prick I'm game, though as @squirtle says the third layer of that chalice is the real roadblock and the hardest boss fight in the game so it's just a road to a bit more pain.

• 2 weeks later...

So - having bounced off Dark Souls hard in the past, I’ve been very wary of trying any of the other games in the series. Nevertheless, Bloodborne popped up very cheap last week and, what with the excitement surrounding PS5 Demon’s Souls being high, (and it being Halloween) I decided it was time to give this seminal series - universally acclaimed by critics and fans alike - another chance. 

I don’t know if it’s because the style and setting is more Thriller than Lord of the Rings, or because I’m now more familiar/comfortable with this approach to game-making having fallen in love with Hollow Knight since I last played one of From Software’s titles, but this time my immediate reaction to dying was not to throw the DS4 out the window, but instead to go back into Yarnham and kill the dirty fecker who got me. 

I’m now up to a sewer area and a big rat got me. Lost all my cash, but I’m pretty confident I can get back there and retrieve it. What can I say? It’s a bit good, isn’t it? The tension of exploring a new area, with new enemies and their unknown strength and attack pattern, secretly hoping that there might be a respawn point nearby, is really quite something. 

I can chart my progress very easily too - I’ve gone from being killed by one scythe-wielding maniac to killing small groups of maniacs. There are enemies I know I’m not good enough to kill yet, but having this sense of progression means I know I will later, once I upgrade my gear a bit and pluck up the courage. Knowing now, as i do, that observing their behaviour, watching for attack wind-ups and dodging is just as important as landing a hit - and that dying is part and parcel of the experience - I understand why I hated Dark Souls so much first time I tried it. Maybe it’s time to reevaluate that?

I’ll keep going with Bloodborne for now though, slow and steady progress is what it’s all about, after all. 

Twatted by some guy called Father Gascoine. Lost 4,000 blood-monies! Not that it matters too much, since I don’t really have anything to spend it on yet. 

I travelled a long way from the central Yharnam spawn point to get there, surely I must have missed one along the way?

Edit - is it safe to run past enemies to get to where I’m going faster, or will they chase and gang-rape me?

You can leg it past most mobs. Just be sure you know where you're headed, so you don't round a corner into even bigger trouble.

Have you activated the lift? Thats the shortest way back to Gascgoine.

After bouncing off this a few years back, I came back to it after getting into Dark Souls. Finished it last night, by which I mean I saw the credits, I’m sure there’s a whole load of stuff I missed. Really enjoyed it, although as with Dark Souls I couldn’t tell you a thing about the story other than it was night and now it’s daytime. Very much looking forward to Demon’s Souls now as I’ve never played that before. 

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

You can leg it past most mobs. Just be sure you know where you're headed, so you don't round a corner into even bigger trouble.

Have you activated the lift? Thats the shortest way back to Gascgoine.

No I don’t think so. I did find a lift in the way to Gazza, but there were two big, burly bastards at the top, so I turned tail and crossed a nearby bridge instead.

30 minutes ago, Popo said:

No I don’t think so. I did find a lift in the way to Gazza, but there were two big, burly bastards at the top, so I turned tail and crossed a nearby bridge instead.

Having now braved a fight with a couple of werewolves on a bridge not far from the start, and having followed a different path through, I found the same lift but from the opposite side. I’ve opened up a previously locked door right in front of the central Yharnam spawn point, so I can now more quickly make my way through to deeper recesses of the map. Quite cool how it loops around and what begins as a sprawling maze of mystery slowly becomes more familiar. 

The big burly bastards with bricks are very easy to parry with your pistol/shotty. Their wind-up is telegraphed and rather slow. Practice on those two you mentioned (be sure to kite them one-at-a-time).

15 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

After bouncing off this a few years back, I came back to it after getting into Dark Souls. Finished it last night, by which I mean I saw the credits, I’m sure there’s a whole load of stuff I missed. Really enjoyed it, although as with Dark Souls I couldn’t tell you a thing about the story other than it was night and now it’s daytime. Very much looking forward to Demon’s Souls now as I’ve never played that before. 

It's definitely worth having a proper wander of some of the areas as there are some pretty big optional areas you can entirely skip in Bloodborne. Also if you enjoyed it the DLC is very good as well.

Father Gascoine defeated! Also, I just figured out that once hit, you can reduce the amount of damage taken by quickly landing an attack of your own. Useful!

5 hours ago, Popo said:

Father Gascoine defeated! Also, I just figured out that once hit, you can reduce the amount of damage taken by quickly landing an attack of your own. Useful!

Yeah, that's the regain kicking in... it's a good one to keep an eye on and master, as well as the gun parry/visceral attack. Both get very very useful the further up the chain you fight.

7 hours ago, squirtle said:

Have you been back to the Hunters Workshop, @Popo? That's where you spend your echoes.

Yes! I’ve been back and upgraded my hunter’s axe with some blood gems and levelled up my guy with the doll. 

I lost over 12,000 geo - sorry, blood echoes! - dying in a fight with a blood-starved beast in Old Yharnam. Determined to go back there and get it but that was a pretty tough fight, I reckon it might be gone for good. The bugger can dodge like me, so even landing a hit is quite tough. 

Then there’s the machine-gun wielding maniac on top of the tower to deal with. I did go up there to have a word, but my attacks barely did any damage so I think I’ll leave him to it until I’m a bit more hench. 

I’m really struggling against the blood starved beast. It’s too fast and it’s attacks look too similar to judge an opening. I saw it’s weak against fire, and I cheated and saw in a YouTube video that shooting it while it’s winding up can stun it, but it’s really hard to discern which attack will be vulnerable to this, and getting it wrong... well, let’s just say it’s not good. :)

Any advice?