rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Bloodborne - GOTD edition

I want to beat that spider to death but I can't get close without getting blasted by magic, and his mates can fuck off.

I'm posting this because that is all it usually takes for me to make a breakthrough.

1 hour ago, APM said:

Jesus! Obvious!? :blink2:

I don’t know why From make access to their DLC so obtuse, but fortunately the DLC content of Bloodborne is great so I forgive them.

This has been on my pile of shame for far too long. It might be time to finally head to Yharnam.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JPL said:

This has been on my pile of shame for far too long. It might be time to finally head to Yharnam.

Do it.

5 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Do it.

I’ve just had a look in the box and the disc isn’t there. :(

• Empathy 1

Imagine having this to go through, now. I’m jealous.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Is there any point to the Old Hunters DLC? I killed the boss at the top of the Mensis and then killed a big brain at the bottom. Now I've ventured into the old Hunters and I'm not sure whether I should bother or head for the end boss? 

Just now, APM said:

Is there any point to the Old Hunters DLC? I killed the boss at the top of the Mensis and then killed a big brain at the bottom. Now I've ventured into the old Hunters and I'm not sure whether I should bother or head for the end boss? 

It's the best DLC, and Bloodborne isn't the same without it.

• Upvote 5

Just now, GamesGamesGames said:

It's the best DLC, and Bloodborne isn't the same without it.

In what way? It didn't launch with it. 

1 minute ago, APM said:

It fleshes out a couple of lore threads in a really smart way. There's some amazing level design and for my money three of the best From boss fights. Some of the extra gear is pretty tasty too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, APM said:

That's the way it is with the FROM games. Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne have incredible DLC that recontextualise the main game lore and offer fantastic areas and often many of the best bosses in their respective games. 

Bloodborne is also quite a light on the build variety in the base game, but it almost doubles in main weapon choices with the DLC. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, but I have no idea what is going on and just kind of want to get to the end. There's no point in things being contextualised if I don't know what's happening first. 

• Empathy 1

@APM

That's true. I understand what you're saying. Fuck the lore then. These are just some of the most spectacular areas and bosses in the game. 

When you're do finish it, watch VaatiVidya on YT and learn how many layers there are to this lore and meta narrative. 

I was kind of hoping for some form of exposition at the end. Also, I don't really have time for drop lore in games, nor do I care for meta stuff like different builds. I just want to see the end of the game. 

• Empathy 2

@APM

I feel where you're coming from, and that's how I felt after I first played Dark Souls, and then I ended up listening to some podcasts and went deeper than I ever have with any game. Just the nature of how the FROM games communicate their lore, really. It's pretty obtuse until you get used to how they operate and then you might find there's nothing quite like it in the medium. 

You'll finish the game and very likely be clueless as to 95% of what's going on. That's not a criticism of you, nor of the game, just a fact 

There's a lot going on that you just can't process first time around. I genuinely would recommend checking out VaatiVidya because the lore and environmental storytelling is very rich and he does a brilliant job narrating and communicating in bite sized chunks. 

• Upvote 1

I couldn’t give a fuck about the lore in these games. It’s all about the action and environments for me. The DLC here makes this perfect game more perfect.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, APM said:

I was kind of hoping for some form of exposition at the end. Also, I don't really have time for drop lore in games, nor do I care for meta stuff like different builds. I just want to see the end of the game. 

Fair enough. From games really aren't for you then. Just deal with the end boss and crack on with something else.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JPL said:

First few hours are rough but it's well worth sticking with. May the good blood guide your way.

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Fair enough. From games really aren't for you then. Just deal with the end boss and crack on with something else.

Wow, that's quite the patronising attitude you got there. 

31 minutes ago, APM said:

Wow, that's quite the patronising attitude you got there. 

I don’t want to speak for him, but I don’t think he was being patronising at all. Rather, you’re being very negative and saying “what’s the point of it?” and when people say why it’s great you’re saying “I don’t care about any of that, I just want it to be all over”, which kind makes it sound like you’re not enjoying it and maybe From games might not be your bag. 

Just how it came across to me. Correct me if I’m wrong. It doesn’t really sound like you’re enjoying it. Anyone who was would be like “Ooh, DLC! Can’t wait, more Bloodborne, yay!”. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I don’t want to speak for him, but I don’t think he was being patronising at all. Rather, you’re being very negative and saying “what’s the point of it?” and when people say why it’s great you’re saying “I don’t care about any of that, I just want it to be all over”, which kind makes it sound like you’re not enjoying it and maybe From games might not be your bag. 

Just how it came across to me. Correct me if I’m wrong. It doesn’t really sound like you’re enjoying it. Anyone who was would be like “Ooh, DLC! Can’t wait, more Bloodborne, yay!”. 

Not in the slightest. My time is precious these days and if I wasn't enjoying it, I would have given up long ago. I do like the game, obviously not as much as a lot of people here, but that is no reason to say From games are some kind of sacred cow. 

2 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Can't agree with this at all. I love these games and love their atmosphere, but I have no interest in "lore" at all. It's possible to enjoy them without really giving a shit about any of that stuff.

Like I said, the DLC came out later. I'm quite happy to finish the game then head back in and do the DLC just like people did when it first came out. All I'm saying is I was hoping that the end would explain what is going on in the game because I'm intrigued to find out. 

He didn’t say that either. They’re not. But you seem to not be interested in a lavish, generous slice of a game, a slice which many people consider to be the best the game has to offer. And you’re not interested in their way of telling stories. All of which does sound like you’re not that into it. So maybe you should just crack on and finish it. Like he said.

I mean, you’d be crazy because the DLC is fantastic, but then I’m biased as Bloodborne is probably my favourite game of all time.

Hmm, to do it after finishing you'd have to start a new game or NG+ and reach Oedon Chapel. I think you might have to beat Vicar Amelia again, but not sure.

If you don't fancy that, you could possibly copy off a save to USB stick (or PSN+ cloud save? I don't use it), finish the game, then copy the save back over to put you back before the end, but yeah, effort.

I initially bounced off the DLC a little because, damn, those hunters. But once you level up a little and get past the first area, it really sucks you in.

10 minutes ago, APM said:

Like I said, the DLC came out later. I'm quite happy to finish the game then head back in and do the DLC just like people did when it first came out. 

Yeah, you can’t.  It would have to form part of a full 2nd play through, because 1) You have to play up to certain point in the main game to access it and 2) It’s pretty tough, so you’d need to be at a reasonable level to tackle it. That’s why people are encouraging you to do it now, before you finish the main final boss.

That’s just how From does their DLC - it slots into the meat of the main game, rather than being a separate section you access from a menu or whatever. So if you want to see it, it would be as part of a full play through of the game.

Just to be clear, I've played a bit of the dlc. Cleared it some Hunters, killed the big guy who comes out the cathedral and picked up some object from a flaming monster then wandered into the next bit. I've not got a problem with the actual moment to moment gameplay. I'm more talking about the story. Is the story coherent if I don't play through it first? I'm not at the same level as you @Davros sock drawer, it's a good game but I'm really not sure about best ever, so yeah, maybe I should just blast through it.