Bloodborne - GOTD edition

I'm just running straight past them anyway. They drop aggro after about ten yards. Big Brick Dude is another proposition, I get him about half the time but it's quite a small arena. Same problem with the doggos really, I could probably take them individually but with the leap attack they're a bit of a pain - I either fight them on the bridge and run out of room, or kite them down the stairs and they flank me. 

EDIT: I don't mean to whine so soon into the game though, I am enjoying it. I'm just looking forward to being able to grind some stats a bit. 

1 minute ago, Starbreaker said:

I'm just running straight past them anyway. They drop aggro after about ten yards. Big Brick Dude is another proposition, I get him about half the time but it's quite a small arena. Same problem with the doggos really, I could probably take them individually but with the leap attack they're a bit of a pain - I either fight them on the bridge and run out of room, or kite them down the stairs and they flank me. 

EDIT: I don't mean to whine so soon into the game though, I am enjoying it. I'm just looking forward to being able to grind some stats a bit. 

The beginning really is the hardest part of the game, until you can start levelling up. What weapon are you using? The axe in it's two handed form is great at crowd control. Also dogs are utter cunts in this game, worse than even in Dark Souls.

The start is indeed brutal. You'll get good at doing the run to the dogs unscathed soon. You are close to where the level branches out though, and you should reach some armour in the near future if you keep making progress, which helps a lot. This first part is probably the most punishing in the game in terms of checkpoints.

I went for axe/blunderbuss. I'm probably being a bit conservative as when I stun stuff I can see the opening for the high damage attack (I forget what it's called) but I'm too far back to use it, don't think I've hit one yet. Villagers are pretty straightforward and I even took down the executioner first time but yeah, man's best friend is causing me a bit of strife. 

2 minutes ago, Starbreaker said:

I went for axe/blunderbuss. I'm probably being a bit conservative as when I stun stuff I can see the opening for the high damage attack (I forget what it's called) but I'm too far back to use it, don't think I've hit one yet. Villagers are pretty straightforward and I even took down the executioner first time but yeah, man's best friend is causing me a bit of strife. 

If you have the axe in 2 handed mode the r1 then l2 can be really good for getting at the dogs, try and use the range of the weapon against them because what they do is lunge in and then jump back, when they lunge in they can stagger you and if you miss them when they jump back they will just repeat the process. You'll get the hang of them soon, good luck :)

Definitely getting into the swing of this a bit more now. Made it all the way to the second boss and had him down to about half health before he got a couple of big hits in and I couldn't get away or heal. He a nimble muthafucka. 

I'm completely lost though, I found the huntress lady who gave me some stuff (no idea what) before I managed to walk off a ledge and fall into the aqueduct. Now my sense of direction is pretty awful in real life so in videogames I'm pretty much constantly turned around. I had in my head that I think I was supposed to be looking for a cathedral, so after climbing a ladder I just thought "OK, I'll look for an area that looks a bit more gothic...than...er...." 

Definitely a lot more freedom than the Souls games though, what killed those for me was that I never felt I was progressing. Whilst it's frustrating to die after getting 4000 echoes or whatever, I do feel like I'm improving each time (mostly) at least. 

44 minutes ago, Starbreaker said:

I'm completely lost though, I found the huntress lady who gave me some stuff (no idea what) before I managed to walk off a ledge and fall into the aqueduct. Now my sense of direction is pretty awful in real life so in videogames I'm pretty much constantly turned around. I had in my head that I think I was supposed to be looking for a cathedral, so after climbing a ladder I just thought "OK, I'll look for an area that looks a bit more gothic...than...er...." 

I have awful sense of direction in games, if there is a map I'll be checking it every 2 minutes so it's a relief Bloodborne doesn't have one. I tend to just pick a path and keep going until it joins up with something I already know or reach an impassable barrier.

After a fair bit of improving myself and my lovely axe I got two previously way out of reach bosses down. I also noticed some new attire had dropped into my inventory but have no idea where it came from, couldn't work out how to equip for a while either...:blush:

New area to explore and die in tonight! :D

Yeah looking forward to dying a thousand deaths tonight no question.

Now here's something I'd like to know.

I have a +6 Saw Cleaver with three gemstones attached, one of which is a big bolt buff.

My secondary weapon is a +5 Tonitrus with a few damage buffs added.

I'm not sure which has the most clout as standard. On the inventory screen the Tonitrus has a base +x physical damage where the Saw Cleaver has an empty field...but it obviously does physical damage. Not entirely sure how to interpret this....

I don't entirely understand the numbers on the inventory screen either. I'm guessing some beasts will be weaker to certain types of damage so I'm expecting to have to tailor my weapon when that emerges. But for now I just look at what produces a bigger number when I hit a beast with it. I thought that I'd find a place for quicker but weaker weapons but each time I try one out I get in trouble and quickly go back to the lovely axe :wub:

Different weapons have different types of damage. Tonitrus, for example, has Blunt damage so you're wasting a slot putting in anything that affects Slash damage, etc. Serrated weapons, such as the Saw Cleaver, have an innate damage boost against beasts. I don't know if the game ever tells you this, though! Generally, it less complex than it appears and raw damage is almost always best, bedsides certain specific weapons and blood gems. 

Thanks. I better boost up the saw cleaver and get some practice in with it in that case. I did notice one of the loading tips mentioning something about the saw increasing damage against beasts but wasn't sure if it was just mythology/backstory rather than a real benefit.

I like the look of the saw cleaver so I'm looking forward to trying it out again. Previously it felt too lightweight but seemed to have quite a nice radius of swing, so quite forgiving when my positioning was bad, but I always ended up missing the long swing range of the 2 handed axe after a short time.

I think I've missed a fair bit of content in not getting various NPCs outdoors before it's no longer an option. When I reach NG+ I'll definitely be making sure they're all out early.

I'm wondering if they'll be packing weapons, costumes etc I've not had chance to see yet? Look forward to finding out.

1 hour ago, Big Swifty said:

Thanks. I better boost up the saw cleaver and get some practice in with it in that case. I did notice one of the loading tips mentioning something about the saw increasing damage against beasts but wasn't sure if it was just mythology/backstory rather than a real benefit.

Without stating the obvious, the serrated damage buff only applies when the weapon is 'folded up' (and you can see the teeth), not the tricked-out razor blade style. 

6 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Without stating the obvious, the serrated damage buff only applies when the weapon is 'folded up' (and you can see the teeth), not the tricked-out razor blade style. 

I hadn't realised the tricked out mode didn't have a serrated edge actually, so thanks, it wasn't obvious enough for me in a different way :blush:

Some other weapons, like the Saw Spear, do serrated damage in both forms. Church weapons, like Ludwig's Holy Blade and the Kirk Hammer, do Righteous damage. Only enemies at Cainhurst are susceptible to this damage type (excluding the boss). Also, regarding serrated damage, it only does bonus damage to heavily transformed beasts, not all beasts.

8 hours ago, HoiOimMarkBrown said:

Yeah looking forward to dying a thousand deaths tonight no question.

Now here's something I'd like to know.

I have a +6 Saw Cleaver with three gemstones attached, one of which is a big bolt buff.

My secondary weapon is a +5 Tonitrus with a few damage buffs added.

I'm not sure which has the most clout as standard. On the inventory screen the Tonitrus has a base +x physical damage where the Saw Cleaver has an empty field...but it obviously does physical damage. Not entirely sure how to interpret this....

Is it a buff to bolt damage or adding bolt damage? It is actually very confusing for a From software first timer, if the gem adds bolt damage you will see your normal physical damage stat reduces to very little whilst bolt damage increases (these damage types are shown separately on the damage screen when adding gems). If it is actually buffing bolt damage (Bolt up 15% for example) then it is only going to increase whatever bolt damage you are putting out, if you haven't actually got bolt damage on your weapon then that's a big fat 0! Adding a bolt damage increase gem to the tonitrus for example would increase the bolt damage that this weapon outputs. To be honest you're best of using the physical damage gems on your main weapons and having backup weapons with elemental damage for specific nasties or bosses.

Just reading the weapon names and descriptions on this page has made me want to take yet another spin through Yarnham.

I could never main any weapon as comfortably as I did the Saw Cleaver, it was useful the entire game and I only swapped it out for certain bosses when the Tonitrus made more sense. The Whilygig (especially buffed with fire) was amazing but a little unsophisticated in comparison.

24 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Just reading the weapon names and descriptions on this page has made me want to take yet another spin through Yarnham.

I could never main any weapon as comfortably as I did the Saw Cleaver, it was useful the entire game and I only swapped it out for certain bosses when the Tonitrus made more sense. The Whilygig (especially buffed with fire) was amazing but a little unsophisticated in comparison.

I went into the DLC with a +10 Holy Blade and finished with a +10 Whirligig. It's great fun but I never used the L2 as often as I thought I should have.

It's always fun to go back and try the "odd" weapons you never gave a chance before - when I was doing my mop-up for the Platinum I picked the Threaded Cane at the start and finished with a +10 Reiterpallasch; both weapons I'd barely looked at in my other playthroughs.

Had a few cracks at Gazza today. Tricky one, I'm not sure where I sit on the locking - he moves around so much that if I take it off I lose him, but leaving it on means I can't see where I'm going (and the terrain in that fight is pretty godawful). The pattern is not too bad except sometimes he'll do a 1-2 swing, and then occasionally he'll do a third - or fire that fucking gun - so if I'm trying to exploit a gap that's when he creams me. Got a bit more used to trying to roll through/around attacks as supposed to away though, the window you get is so narrow it's no good being halfway across the arena when you get it. 

The best attempt I got him to around 1/6 health before he squished me between a tree and mauled me to death. Werewolf form isn't too bad except for the leap, especially if I'm locked on to him and end up running into a gravestone. Annoying because I still had 8 vials left and now I'm totally out. Haven't quite got the interrupts down on him either, I've got a few viscerals but slightly irritating because I feel like I'm getting the timing right on the other enemies, but when I do it to him just as he's swinging I end up getting clattered. 

Still, progress. At least I've realised I can get to him without fighting or taking any hits, although now I need to go the other way and farm vials for a bit.