The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (featuring Herlock Sholmes)

Professor Puzzles

The Trilogy are the original Phoenix Wright games which came out donkeys years ago on the DS, the Chronicles are much newer (from the 3DS era). The two Chronicles games are set in Sherlock Holmes times, whereas the Trilogy (and the other spinoffs) are in modern day. From the reviews I've read Chronicles is a bit more serious than the Trilogy, which excels in silliness and humour. 

If you are wondering where to start, definitely go with with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney as part of the Trilogy, it set the benchmark for all the others and is very good.  Although there shouldn't be any harm in starting with Chronicles because as far as I know they aren't connected in any way aside from gameplay/style.

Yeah I think Apollo Justice got a 3DS port, but none of that second trilogy have made it to Switch.

I hope they do (especially now Great Ace Attorney Chronicles has proved they've got the 3D engine working) - I thought the second trilogy was at least as good as the first, and it never seems to get the same recognition. Spirit of Justice was particularly superb.

I have a strong preference for the original trilogy (plus Apollo Justice) over the 3DS series, in large part because the latter completely threw away any kind of challenge; without any kind of pressure on the trials it was a bit too much of a readalong for my tastes. They were very enjoyable nonetheless, and I'd like to see them ported (not least as I think their art would scale better to the big screen than the original series' 2D), but they sit with the Edgeworth games as not quite there entries in the series for me.

I thought the last one of the second Trilogy was as good as anything from the first trilogy, but yeah, they definitely got easier. 

In a game like this though, one man's too easy is another's more logical. 

Back on topic, the 3d graphics do indeed look very good on the switch screen. I didn't realise these two saw the return of Takumi to the series. 

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

If you are wondering where to start, definitely go with with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney as part of the Trilogy, it set the benchmark for all the others and is very good.  Although there shouldn't be any harm in starting with Chronicles because as far as I know they aren't connected in any way aside from gameplay/style.

Okay, thanks. So PW:AA first (Trilogy), then moving on to Chronicles.

Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice.

However, AJ has more in common with the previous trilogy in terms of mechanics (and visuals, being a DS game), whereas DD and SoJ are pretty homogeneous.

As ever, each game has a standalone story; as with the previous series, you could happily stop after one and not feel like the story is unfinished. You just wouldn't want to play a later game first, unless you like spoiling things from the earlier titles!

I’m playing it and it’s superb so far, but it’s not really the kind of game you want to talk about while you’re playing it, because of spoilers. Also, it’s long so it’s going to take everyone a while to get through it. 

On 28/07/2021 at 09:52, alex3d said:

I'm new to the series: what is the difference between Ace Attorney Trilogy and Ace Attorney Chronicles?

Ace Attorney 1-3 is the original trilogy.

AA4 is Apollo Justice. AA5 is Dual Destinies. AA6 is Spirit of Justice.

Then there are two Miles Edgeworth spinoff games, but only one has been released in the west officially.

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles are two spinoff prequel games that are coming officially to the west for the first time. You can play TGAA without having finished the others.

I’ve started too — such an immediately comforting feeling to playing a ‘new’ Ace Attorney again. 

The first case is dragging a little, but I think that’s just because I’m being tutorialised and I want to just jump in and do it. But excited about it inevitably opening up a bit more soon!

It's a shame they've not adapted the UI for touch controls at all. I mean the touch controls work, but the buttons you need to press to open the court record, press witness statements etc are so tiny that no-one's going to bother. I'd rather play this with the touchscreen like it was still on the DS but as it stands I'd just be making life hard for myself.

Just started last night and midway through the first trial. The music isn't as good as the catchy DS tunes, but thankfully despite the more serious tone the silliness is still in full effect. Exaggerated characters, sound effects and funny bits. Really love the new animations and camera work, it adds a much more dynamic and cinematic feel over the flat DS games. As the interview linked earlier suggested, it must have been a lot of extra work but its worth it. I don't really get why they havent made more Ace Attourney games since these, maybe they didnt do that well. Hopefully this pack will sell well and get us some new games with deeper trials.

16 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I don't really get why they havent made more Ace Attourney games since these, maybe they didnt do that well. Hopefully this pack will sell well and get us some new games with deeper trials.

The excellent Back Page podcast covers this in some detail this week - the original creator of Phoenix Wright, Shu Takumi, did the first four games plus Great Ace Attorney 1 & 2 but considers Phoenix Wright's story "done" - he's unlikely to do anything more than spin-offs from now on. The fifth and sixth games (as well as the two Edgeworth games) were directed by Takeshi Yamazaki but he left Capcom last year. So the whole series is kind of in limbo, and no-one knows what's going on with it.

Still, it sounds like the re-release of the original trilogy sold far more than expected, leading to this excellent localisation, so maybe if this sells well too it'll encourage Capcom to revive the series somehow.

Thanks for the info. Its a real shame. I've played all the games and I feel like its a format you can keep going with as long as you have new characters and stories. Apollo Justice was at first way too similar to Phoenix Wright but became good in its own right (Wright?). Edgeworth wasn't quite as well written but had enough of a spin to be interesting. Just hopping back into Chronicles reminded me why I like the series so much, the characters, the sense of humour, the animation and the mysteries.

I suppose the question is whether there are core Ace Attourney devs who preserve this style. And whether enough of them are still around to make a new series of games that are true to the feel of the previous ones. Fingers crossed.

With all of this talk of the older games, I think how twisty and turny they are really helps with replayability. I played the original Phoenix Wright again last year and had forgotten most of it and although I could remember some of the big twists and plot points, some of them still threw me off guard and I'd forgotten most of the smaller revelations. I really enjoyed it and I'd happily replay all of the mainline games again. I will have to binge them again now they are getting a modern makeover.

On 29/07/2021 at 05:50, Death Adder said:

Finally got it.

Went for the double pack in this rather nice box.  The original trilogy copy is superfluous, so I'll probably stick that in trading.

223845980_10225361084549897_253738271421616035_n.jpg

225807994_10225361084869905_2040701029889785739_n~2.jpg

227236134_10225361085269915_6927917885405258799_n.jpg

I’m interested if you sell!

I do love how they've done "English, perceived by the Japanese" in case one.

(Spoiled simply because there's an image of a character you meet during the trial, no plot spoilers).

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2a55af4abc02b3f44913e2a5e6bb2fe0.png

• Professor Puzzles changed the title to The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (featuring Herlock Sholmes)

I'm on case 2 now in the first game and really enjoying it. It's the perfect bedtime game. I'm quite glad they didn't do what the Yakuza series did when they went the prequel route (with Ishin) and just reskin the main characters. They all feel new, aside from the prosecutor in the first case.

Mild case 2 spoilers:

Spoiler

I do like how Herlock Sholmes has basically Mr Magoo-ed his way into becoming this famous detective. The bits where your guy has to course correct his ramblings is a great new mechanic.