Sign in to follow this  
neoELITE

Should I Buy a Wii U? edit - bought one

I own a fair amount of Wii games and peripherals.

I have a family who play tablet games, the Wii and the xbox 360. 5, 7 and 14 year old kids.

Do you need anything other than the console - I.e. extra controllers?

Is it necessary to get the Premium console?

Well, ive just bought one actually. Specifically for that Mario Kart 8. So its the right time to get one certainly.

The Console is able to use your existing Wii controllers anyway, so thats no bother.

and theres a Specific Wii Pro Controller you could get, but not neccessary.

I will say as an old bugger, im struggling to see anything of worth, although I got Zombi U and thats really great.

But for Kids... theres plenty of Wii U stuff out there like the new Mario games.

As for what version to get? If you can get a Premium version then why not? The GTA Lego pack looks good.

EDIT: You could do a lot worse than grabbing a used one from Ebay. Thats what i did, and was lucky (? ) that the machine was fine.

So when you say a fair amount of Wii periphals, do you have four motion plus Wii remotes? With children of those ages you'd have great fun with five players (four on Wii remotes, on on the Wii U tablet controller) with Nintendo Land, Super Mario 3D World, Rayman Legends, and the upcoming Mario Kart.

I don't know what the price difference is, but I'd say go premium too if you can for the storage space without having to faff about with adding an external hard drive.

With kids that age and the old Wii peripherals, I would definitely say yes. 100% fun together, with added shouting at the younger one to stop running ahead in Mario 3D world.

A basic console will need an external hard drive straight away, the 8GB internal storage can barely fit Zombie U on from the eShop.

For the sake of thread balance (honest!), No, not really. Buy a Dreamcast instead.

True. It's been compared to the Dreamcast by a few video reviews I've watched due to the fact it's got so many quality first party games.

I have a Deamcast.

• Upvote 2

I've been thinking the same. We like to play a lot of the party games on the Wii and love Mario Kart, so one of the potentional Mario Kart 8 bundles is very tempting.

There's a fairly good deal on Very that includes Super Mario Bros U, Super Luigi U, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 a spare remote and stering wheel for £369

http://www.very.co.uk/nintendo-wii-u-premium-console-with-super-mario-bros-u-and-super-luigi-u-super-mario-3d-world-mario-kart-8-wii-remote-plus-mario-red-and-wiiwiiu-mario-kart-8-racing-wheel-with-free-mushrrom-keyring/1376769236.prd?_requestid=520169

It's got two of the best games of the last five years on it (Zombi U and 3D World) so if you can grab a deal like Goaty did, it's totally worth it. MarioKart is round the corner, but until E3 it's difficult to gauge their commitment to it going forward.

Cool. It would be for the kids and we have four wiimotes, classic controller x 2, nunchucks x 2.

Are they motion plus remotes? Some of the games, can't recall which, in Nintendo Land use it. On the plus side, I do know that the two best multiplayer games, Mario Chase and Luigi's Ghost Mansion, don't.

Future prospects look pretty grim. After Bayonetta 2 I don't think we'll see any third party games - let alone exclusives - at all, and it remains to be seen where Nintendo will focus its development effort - releasing more games on the 3DS with its healthier user base or trying to give the Wii U a fighting chance with a big line up of games. Frankly I don't see the latter happening really, they're too late now.

• Upvote 2

I've got the best game of the last five years on it (The Wonderful 101) so I'd get one ASAP.

I'm also hooked on Monster Hunter like a smackhead.

Upgrading from a Wii, it's a "no-brainer"

Having all of the peripherals and games will give you a great start. Even in Wii mode, the graphics look a lot better.

Some nice HD versions of Wii games - Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

Really easy tool to move your save files and WiiWare games from the Wii to the Wii U.

Plus there's a nice feature. You can use the Wii U gamepad as a small TV in Wii mode. Unfortunately you still have to use a separate Wii controller, but if you buy the premium pack, you get a little stand for the gamepad.

So that means the kids could play it without hogging the TV.

And there are some amazing games for it. Most you can pick up for between 10 and 30 quid...

Future prospects look pretty grim. After Bayonetta 2 I don't think we'll see any third party games - let alone exclusives - at all, and it remains to be seen where Nintendo will focus its development effort - releasing more games on the 3DS with its healthier user base or trying to give the Wii U a fighting chance with a big line up of games. Frankly I don't see the latter happening really, they're too late now.

This is true, but it is still an amazing prospect for someone who hasn't bought one yet based on what is already available. I haven't played, or am a fan of all these games, but it does have all the following top titles, plus some others I've no doubt missed:

ZombiU

Rayman Legends

Monster Hunter

Nintendo Land

Super Mario 3D World

The Wonderful 101

Ocarina of Time

Pikmin 3

New Super Mario Brothers U

Lego City Undercover

Sports download games

Plus Mario Kart soon and backwards compatibility with Wii games, some of which are absolute classics too. I'm not a fanboy but I do think it's a completely justifiable purchase for someone with a young family especially.

I haven't looked into such things myself, but isn't the Wii part of the Wii U still hackable like the original Wii, as in do they need replacing or is there a region-unlocking work-around?

I've probably got this completely wrong.

All my Wii games were USA too. Bit of a pisser but got good prices on musicmagpie for them. Some went for £15. No idea why they take NTSC games but no complaints.

musicmagpie is in the USA too (called decluttr) also they have a policy of buying everything as they don't want to put people off selling them the good stuff.