rllmuk
JohnC

The Expanse - S4 out December 13

I’m approaching the end of Calibans War (Book 2) and it was absolutely the right fucking decision to get into them alongside the show. Reading a few comments above saying the crew don’t have as much camaraderie as the show depicts but so far I am finding it possibly the other way round. Every character is as good if not better than their show version, especially Amos and Avasarala but weirdly I don’t think I would be as hooked on the books if it wasn’t for the show laying the foundations. Just brilliant!

Anyway. The show is the best Sci Fi since Battlestar, I haven’t enjoyed a book this much since Ghosts of Onyx (Halo EU) and I can’t fucking wait for Season 3 to start!

• Upvote 2

I've only read the first book, and then checked out because I thought it was 1: not well-written, and 2: clearly written with an explicit eye on being turned into TV.

So I'd not much bothered when it turned up on Netflix. But, having just knocked through the lot in pretty short order, I'm happy it makes great TV. All the amendments they've made around book 1 are improvements.

Book 1 comment

Spoiler

I checked out mentally with book 1 when they kept referring to the Eros victims as "vomit zombies". Do some writing, guys, don't just rely on pop fiction.

I might have been being unfair, but I think I'd o ly read The Girl With All The Gifts just before that, and that was also obviously a screenplay waiting to happen.

10 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I've only read the first book, and then checked out because I thought it was 1: not well-written, and 2: clearly written with an explicit eye on being turned into TV.

So I'd not much bothered when it turned up on Netflix. But, having just knocked through the lot in pretty short order, I'm happy it makes great TV. All the amendments they've made around book 1 are improvements.

Book 1 comment

Hide contents

I checked out mentally with book 1 when they kept referring to the Eros victims as "vomit zombies". Do some writing, guys, don't just rely on pop fiction.

I might have been being unfair, but I think I'd o ly read The Girl With All The Gifts just before that, and that was also obviously a screenplay waiting to happen.

Spoiler

Yeah, the “vomit zombies” bit was meant to evoke Ebola victims and so on, but in genre fiction it just comes across a bit hokey.

Spoiler

Apparently it's a term from the non-fiction Ebola classic "The Hot Zone", which inspired "Outbreak" (kind of) but that's discredited these days anyway.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, MardiganX said:

I’m approaching the end of Calibans War (Book 2) and it was absolutely the right fucking decision to get into them alongside the show. Reading a few comments above saying the crew don’t have as much camaraderie as the show depicts but so far I am finding it possibly the other way round. Every character is as good if not better than their show version, especially Amos and Avasarala but weirdly I don’t think I would be as hooked on the books if it wasn’t for the show laying the foundations. Just brilliant!

The one thing I noticed in the show that I liked was that there was a noticeable suspicion between all the characters when they first get on the 'Knight' to investigate the asteroid - as if they didn't know each other very well. Very much 'The Belter', 'The Martian', 'The Earther' - who are all essentially on different sides of the war/peace in the system.

I didn't feel this in the books as the narrative suggested that, although they didn't know much about each other they'd all been working together on the 'Cant' for so long.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Sad news, Jared Harris says he's not in Season 3 and is no longer involved in the series. :(

I've only just finished Caliban's War (Separate post incoming) but his character doesn't seem to be anywhere near as prominent in the books as he is in the show. Certainly not the way they are translating things anyway, plus the Season 3 trailers look like they are going to focus mostly on the 2nd half of Caliban's War.

But what the fuck do I know. My brain is mush right now after the Epilogue of Caliban's War :blink: what the actual fuck?!?!!

Dawes does come back in a really important way in some of the more recent books, so depending on how things work out he may come back down the road. It looks from the shooting schedules that he had to choose between doing The Terror and The Expanse, and I can't blame him for taking The Terror.

Anyway, Caliban's War... and I am happy to take book chat elsewhere or to PM if it is deemed too risky even under spoilers.

FUCKING MILLER!!!! I'm ready to go straight onto Abaddon's Gate today when I can get some actual work out of the way because that cliffhanger is just fucking ridiculous. Not to mention the final few chapters being breakneck pace, loaded with action and packed with some really incredible moments and lines. This series of books has turned into something special and it's going to be great having the TV show to compare and no doubt visualise some of the brilliant moments that they take from the book path. 

I'm guessing by the trailer for Season 3 and cast list that it will start to touch on some of Abaddons Gate while also showing more of what is going on back on Earth, but the key component of Io and the events surrounding the Hybrid launch base will be central to the story as all the key characters come together.

Game of Thrones in space absolutely confirmed now! :)

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Dawes does come back in a really important way in some of the more recent books, so depending on how things work out he may come back down the road. It looks from the shooting schedules that he had to choose between doing The Terror and The Expanse, and I can't blame him for taking The Terror.

The Terror looks to be an anthology series (or it was when it was commissioned) - they're currently adapting the book of the same name - but (unless they stretch it out to a huge degree) they seem likely to complete that story by the end of the 10 episodes..

(Given the text at the start of the first episode says the expedition vanished without trace... I'm guessing the cast won't be carrying forward into a future season..)

42 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Anyway, Caliban's War... and I am happy to take book chat elsewhere or to PM if it is deemed too risky even under spoilers.

Hide contents

FUCKING MILLER!!!! I'm ready to go straight onto Abaddon's Gate today when I can get some actual work out of the way because that cliffhanger is just fucking ridiculous. Not to mention the final few chapters being breakneck pace, loaded with action and packed with some really incredible moments and lines. This series of books has turned into something special and it's going to be great having the TV show to compare and no doubt visualise some of the brilliant moments that they take from the book path. 

I'm guessing by the trailer for Season 3 and cast list that it will start to touch on some of Abaddons Gate while also showing more of what is going on back on Earth, but the key component of Io and the events surrounding the Hybrid launch base will be central to the story as all the key characters come together.

Game of Thrones in space absolutely confirmed now! :)

Nothing wrong with starting a The Expanse Series thread in Arts & Literature for this stuff.

Spoiler

Yeah, the end of CW got me immediately buying the next book. And the end of THAT book got me onto the next one. And then I ran out so I got the novellas. And now I'm stuck waiting annually for my fix like a scrub.

I'm past the end of the first book in the series now, so I can finally stop comparing what's onscreen to what I read. Though most of the changes from the source material are good, I didn't really feel like they showed very much on Eros. Obviously, the novel didn't have husky-voiced-roof-woman-who-now-seems-to-live-with-Ashur-from-Spartacus , so that's a massive improvement.

Yeah, there are some notable differences in the show but I have yet to find one that weakens the characters or plot and if anything some of them make it better. Cotyar (Ashur's) involvement and back story in the show for example is much more interesting and adds a great layer to the end of Season 2.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

When will it hit UK Netflix, do we know?

Going off past scheduling it’ll be about six months after the end of broadcast, so probably Christmas. It’ll be quicker to import the Blu Ray. Or, ahem, acquire.

Great first episode. They really aren’t fucking about.

Spoiler

Holden has accepted his place as Patron Saint of Crazy Missions, and is acting like he should. Amos and Prax are now BFFs. Bobbie doing Bobbie stuff.

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

What a brilliant opener. I’m very excited - it certainly washed away the disappointment of Discovery.

Did it really end with ‘brace for impact!’ ?

I’ve watched a dodgy copy. I’ll still run it through Netflix to keep the viewing figures up in November. ;-p