rllmuk
JohnC

The Expanse - S4 out December 13

So, major spoilers if you're inclined, the episode titles are out (bar the last one).

Spoiler

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/03/upcoming-episode-titles-various-shows_11.html

The Expanse - Episode 3.01 - Fight Or Flight
The Expanse - Episode 3.02 - IFF
The Expanse - Episode 3.03 - Assured Destruction
The Expanse - Episode 3.04 - Reload
The Expanse - Episode 3.05 - Triple Point
The Expanse - Episode 3.06 - Immolation
The Expanse - Episode 3.07 - Delta-V
The Expanse - Episode 3.08 - The Investigator
The Expanse - Episode 3.09 - Aberrations
The Expanse - Episode 3.10 - Dandelion Sky
The Expanse - Episode 3.11 - Objects In Motion
The Expanse - Episode 3.12 - Congregation

BOOK READERS ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT, EPISODE TO BOOK DISCUSSION

Spoiler

3.08 (or possibly, the last minutes of 3.07) is going to make people shit the bed.

• Upvote 1

If I remember the plot gets better again in the books so hopefully this series will have a better story. I never bought into the (season 2 spoilers)...

... mutant generic alien monster crap in the books, though fortunately in the series they kept it short. And all the boring drama with the Mars soldier and her battle against the truth. The best storylines were the other politics, Earth/Mars/Belter conflict and the overall Nanovirus storyline, especially the fate of the corrupted space station.

Now that's out of the way I remember it gets a bit more interesting again. I hope they change up events in the last few books as a lot of the side quests were a bit lame.

When is the US release of the new series? I might have to stream it from dodgy sites again as Netflix wont get it until we're all on our pensions.

4 hours ago, MDY said:

Getting a serious Babylon 5 vibe from this ship in the trailer..

Hide contents

4OtOkEB.jpg

Shit yes, looks like a combination of the Hyperion class and the newer one whose name I can't remember.

• Upvote 1

Quick post because I am half way through season 1 episode 7 and feel that is deep enough for me to form a solid opinion on what has happened so far and how things feels established for things to come...

This is fucking awesome! Not felt so strongly about a Sci Fi show since Battlestsr Galactica and I never thought that is something I would ever say. It’s still early days but it seems to have the same confidence in its characters that BC had. Allowing them to take centre stage so that when a set piece or dramatic moment kicks in there is a real pay off. Being adapted from books clearly helps and while I will refrain from calling it Game of Thrones in space just yet, I do feel like it has much of the same pull and potential. Starting with faction politics while a much larger threat emerges is clearly the path here and I just hope it can retain what has so far been a fantastic start.

• Upvote 6

Season 2 done. Maintained its outstanding quality from Season 1 with only a mild dip around the middle when the dust settled following a certain big event.

Fucking Amos. Then fucking Alex. Then Amos again. Then fucking Naomi. Then Chrisjen. Then Cotyar. How can so many awesome character moments be crammed into the last few episodes of a season? As I said before, there is a real confidence about how the characters were built up so every key action they take now has a tremendous pay-off. The fate of Eros and everything that came with it simply being the first third of the season is testament to the sheer quality of a story they have to tell. Miller was a legend and while I do think he is going to return in some form its the other guys I want to focus on.

Basically everything Amos does has me laughing or cheering. Then Alex executes is awesome slingshot manoeuvre all the while bonding with the Roci like she is his 'girl'. Loved the scene where Amos questions Alex saying "we" as he talks about him and the Roci coming to save them. It could be easily missed but it's these kind of  moments sprinkled throughout that make every scene important. The Roci eventually saving the Ganymede refugee ship was the big kicker but for me it's the subtle moments between characters I have grown to love that set this show apart. All the Roci crew stuff would be enough to carry the show on its own but then we have Chrisjen and her 'advisors' delivering the goods too. Again, it was the subtle moments between Chrisjen and Cotyar that worked best, with him staying by her side due to the guilt over Chrisjen's sons death and her realisation that he was going to die for her. A weaker actress would have ruined this little scene but Aghdashloo, as she does all the time, just nailed it.

Gutted I am now stuck until Season 3 starts but when something is this good I can handle a little downtime to absorb and appreciate everything that has happened. Last week I made the comparison of it potentially being Game of Thrones in space and I can confidently say that after 2 seasons it has delivered as much if not not more enjoyment and fucking awesome than Thrones did.

Amos Burton / 10

• Upvote 6

Right, its been almost 5 hours and Season 3 hasn't started yet. What book should I be picking up to follow on from the end of Season 2?

Also...

"Target lock them back, every PDC and Torpedo we've got!"

"Targets locked. She's bristling!"

She is bristling, the Roci is fucking BRISTLING. I don't really know why but this line from Alex got me erect! The vision of the Rocinante surrounded by over a dozen ships all ready to fire and she is just sitting there going "Come at me bro!" Holden doesn't get the same stand out moments as the rest of the cast but his warning to the MCRN fleet during this scene was pretty incredible!

My initial hesitation on moving to the books is that some plot threads might be different and the characters might translate slightly differently from how I currently view them. I want to protect the way the show has built up these amazing people and worry the books won't damage that, but could have some nuances to them that are not consistent. If my concerns are unwarranted please let me know and I will head straight to my nearest book shop :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MardiganX said:

My initial hesitation on moving to the books is that some plot threads might be different and the characters might translate slightly differently from how I currently view them. I want to protect the way the show has built up these amazing people and worry the books won't damage that, but could have some nuances to them that are not consistent. If my concerns are unwarranted please let me know and I will head straight to my nearest book shop

I only started listening to the books about 2 months ago. Halfway through the first book thinking "this would make a great TV Series" I then found out it was already a great TV series (currently halfway through season 2, just starting book 4). Anyway I've been really pleased with how the characters in the books have been portrayed in the show - I may have a different idea on how the characters look but the characterisation is pretty spot on (to me).

Possible spoilers - how I see the characters between books and show

Spoiler

Holden - pretty much exactly how I imagined him

Miller - spot on for me, although I think the books have tended to describe him a bit older, less handsome

Naomi - same, although the books portray 'Belters' as having a slightly elongated physique and larger head (which I think is explained away in the show through 'implants' to slow bone growth)

Amos - I imagined him as being maybe slightly physically stronger and broader in the books

Alex - Is portrayed as being a bit more 'middle aged', bordering on 'podgy' in the books

Avasarala - I think the books portray her as being older and greyer

Bobby - Slightly disappointed by her - in the books she's described almost like the largest, strongest most athletic woman you'd ever meet. Guess it was a tall order to find someone who fits this description.

• Upvote 2

In the books I thought the main ship crew were pretty lame, boring characters, aside from Amos. But the way they are written and acted in the show completely transforms them, they did a really good job with that. Naomi and Holden are much more compelling in the show, even if Holden's character is still generic ship captain bro. Amos is great and they did a good casting choice for him too. The show has much more emotion, character moments and comradery than the books ever conveyed. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

In the books I thought the main ship crew were pretty lame, boring characters, aside from Amos. But the way they are written and acted in the show completely transforms them, they did a really good job with that. Naomi and Holden are much more compelling in the show, even if Holden's character is still generic ship captain bro. Amos is great and they did a good casting choice for him too. The show has much more emotion, character moments and comradery than the books ever conveyed. 

Yeah, I absolutely agree with this. The books are excellent for what they are, and the overall themes and plotlines are solid and interesting (I hoofed my way through them), but they're not particularly compelling reads. Whole chapters going by without much happening, and the interactions between the characters are comforting but a bit flat. 

The show does excellent things with them, partly by picking and choosing from six or seven books' worth of character development and sprinkling it in where relevant.

Picked up Caliban's War and Abaddon's Gate last night so will be starting that tonight. Will be interesting to see how the plot in the books deviates from the show but it will take nothing away from what is (for me anyway) the best Sci-Fi show since Battlestar Galactica. 

I am struggling to read abaddon's gate. Is it bad or is it just me?

Interesting that everyone felt the show nailed the characters. I think Amos and Miller are totally different and actually more interesting in the books.

On 12/03/2018 at 14:09, MDY said:

Getting a serious Babylon 5 vibe from this ship in the trailer..

Reveal hidden contents

4OtOkEB.jpg

Hmm, to me that screams "Freespace". :)

6 hours ago, monkeydog said:

I'm not going near the book until the TV series ends.  Having started on the show it seems a shame to spoil it with the books.

Snap. :)

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Snap. :)

I'm so glad some people are just going to roll with the show for now, because it lets me pull out my folding chair and plonk down to watch their reactions.

BOOK SPOILERS

3x08. Bwa ha ha ha ha

• Upvote 1

Interesting observations about the characters. Truth be told, I've no idea how I'd react to the books alone because, in my head, even bits not in the TV, it's the actors and their voices. Even when names change or they make other tweaks, it's an extension of the show and I just love it. It's like getting a extended cut and there's just more happening.

It's quite possible I'm going to get ahead with the books, come S4*.

*if this doesn't happen, I'm going to snap

• Empathy 1

I would be gutted if this got canned. It’s by far and away one of the best space sci-fi shows out there in a very long time. I think the show is, if anything, enriching the books too. This getting binned should be rated far above something like the (in retrospect) hokey nonsense of Firefly being thrown in the shredder.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

On 23/03/2018 at 04:16, Tourist said:

I am struggling to read abaddon's gate. Is it bad or is it just me?

Interesting that everyone felt the show nailed the characters. I think Amos and Miller are totally different and actually more interesting in the books.

I think Show Amos is far closer to what the books, pre-The Churn/ Nemesis Games, were trying to do. Show Miller is definitely not nearly the level of fuckup the books had though, but I can see why that would be difficult to turn into a basic cable main storyline. He’s not Sad Disaster Man enough.

16 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I would be gutted if this got canned. It’s by far and away one of the best space sci-fi shows out there in a very long time. I think the show is, if anything, enriching the books too. This getting binned should be rated far above something like the (in retrospect) hokey nonsense of Firefly being thrown in the shredder.

Browncoat’s honour means I had to neg this shit. As you were.

• Upvote 4