Jump to content
rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
deKay

PC Engine

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, ulala said:

 

You can get a cable that plugs into the rear edge connector that outputs rgb scart.

 

no need for any modding

 

You could get those from a guy somewhere in Europe a while back, but are they still available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guys, I need an intervention or something.

 

I've got a turbo everdrive in the post, I'm pretty sure I've got a full ROM set from somewhere (sssh!)...

 

so why am I thinking about buying up shit, just to have the hucard, to put on the non-existant shelves, in my not-even-started games room?

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nec-PC-Engine-Games-collection-Hucards-Retro/142489526673?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D4b0fdf32aa26496aa4ee65415745c9b7%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D362082874169&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

 

and why are there so many goddamn baseball games!?!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because the Hu-Card is the best looking cartridge of them all?

 

It's a tough road to go down though.  Most of the decent games are expensive now.  I wish I'd started buying up PCE stuff much earlier as I've had various consoles knocking around forever, but it was always on the to do list.  

 

Top tip: Get Momatorou Katsugeki.  Great game and (without checking) probably still cheap as chips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Camel said:

Because the Hu-Card is the best looking cartridge of them all?

 

It's a tough road to go down though.  Most of the decent games are expensive now.  I wish I'd started buying up PCE stuff much earlier as I've had various consoles knocking around forever, but it was always on the to do list.  

 

Top tip: Get Momatorou Katsugeki.  Great game and (without checking) probably still cheap as chips.

 

 

£22 and a lot of text

Spoiler

 

 

looks nice and easy though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that hard to figure out IIRC and is 99% platfoming fun.  Long time since I've played it, mind.  Photo Boy is another one you need to play.  It's not that hard to complete and is pure fun and hilarity.

 

Edit: Momatorou Katsugeki went for about 6 quid generally when I got mine :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SeanR said:

guys, I need an intervention or something.

 

I've got a turbo everdrive in the post, I'm pretty sure I've got a full ROM set from somewhere (sssh!)...

 

so why am I thinking about buying up shit, just to have the hucard, to put on the non-existant shelves, in my not-even-started games room?

 

Its the same old argument. I can play 99% of games from the atari 2600 to the ps1 on my raspberry pi. I can use a fantastic wireless pad that replicates the SNES or nes pads perfectly or an arcade fight stick. I can view them in hd via hdmi on my big tv, or on my crt via rgb, and use scan lines, shaders or effects to my own taste.

 

Aside from nostalgia, there is zero reason to own original hardware, or spend small fortunes or, if you are a 'geo collector like we are, actual fortunes.

 

I think I want a dedicated games room. I think that one day I will convert my garage, that even contains a jamma arcade cabinet in storage, into it. I think one day I will invest the thousands I would need in costs, so that I can unbox all my games and hardware that have never been unboxed, or the hundreds of megadrive games I assume will look lovely on shelving, or rig up my 48k spectrum and make a cup of tea whilst combat lynx fails to load... and finally buy Garou, even though I prefer SNES streetfigher 2.

 

All the spending on hardware just to put in a cupboard for now, just enough to keep my above dream alive, pales in to insignificance when I think about the cost, in time, that I have spend at car boot sales, charity shops, following eBay auctions that end at 3am GMT or during family weddings, or funerals, or talking about them on rllmuk.

 

Even though you have no nostalgia for a pc engine, perhaps never have even seen one, and the hassal and expense to get them running on 240v 50hz pal TVs , and buying hu cards from dealers 5000 miles away, and buying a multi tap, and two 6 button controllers on the offchance you will one day have a friend around to play a slight inferior version of sf 2 with that you could have done anyway on the pi, or invest in a turbo everdrive so you can actually emulate them instead whilst you save up funds to buy and display games you will hardly ever play.

 

its a sickness, a curse. 

 

Mine started when trying to collect things that I could never have afforded as a child. More than 4 megadrive games. And like a virus, it has replicated within my cells, convincing me that I really need my own copy of fantasia, or hallucinating that the nes was actually popular in the uk, and that it's fun to wait for spectrum games to load. I can always read the manual... qaop ahh, how could I forget... 

 

I wish there was a cure, a pill I could take to rid me of this. Instead this place is encouraging me, feeding my addiction, kernows pictures of his wonderful 'geo collection mocking my own...

 

But is ok, we can justify it. It's not a lot of money... or time... and we don't drink or smoke, or gamble or have any other vices, and we could stop whenever we wanted.

 

Anyway, did you get that white pc engine? Get the JP hu cards,they have better art and there are more games released. I have a mint in box one, I've never plugged it in. Even so I'm thinking of getting an rgb cable for it, it's only a days salary. And if I ever have the urge to play it, I could if I wanted to.

 

And when I do get my games room, and start trek and ghostbusters pinball tables, I could play it then or just play it on my pi.

 

/ breakdown

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disagree completely about hardware.  You can't beat original hardware for ultimate authenticity.  Software, yes.  There is no need to own all the Hu-Cards if you have an Everdrive.  Aside from, of course, the possible side effect of too much choice, or not valuing a ROM on your list compared to a tangible item in your hands.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, number one.  I've said it before but I love old hardware - couldn't give a toss about having stacks of games though, if a neater option is easily available.  Horses for courses, everyone's different.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So. After a couple of years of deliberation, I have decided I want to get in on this NEC action. However, I am a complete PC Engine beginner and more than a little daunted by the sheer number of options out there. (I'm also a long-time lurker of this place so thought I'd risk a cheeky de-lurk to ask a little advice. Many thanks in advance for reading this.)

 

I am looking to acquire a reliable PC Engine with maximum compatibility for CD and card games, RGB scart support for Framemeistering, multi-region support and that is everdrive compatible. (and, perhaps, the moon on a stick) 


Research has been pointing me toward DUO-R systems with a mod chip installed for RGB and region-lock, does that sound about right? 

 

Do any of you have recommendations for PC engine sellers and/or UK based console modders? I was looking at doujindance on eBay who sells pre-modified systems and has a good looking profile and loads of positive feedback, but then I found this post on another forum which details his work and it put me off. I also read somewhere that modded systems aren't always everdrive compatible as the cartridge port requires more power or something. Am I barking up the wrong tree with the DUO? Should I look into separate CD / card machines? Should I go NTSC-J or US? 

 

Any help would be very appreciated! Thank you kindly!

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, easternheath said:

So. After a couple of years of deliberation, I have decided I want to get in on this NEC action. However, I am a complete PC Engine beginner and more than a little daunted by the sheer number of options out there. (I'm also a long-time lurker of this place so thought I'd risk a cheeky de-lurk to ask a little advice. Many thanks in advance for reading this.)

 

I am looking to acquire a reliable PC Engine with maximum compatibility for CD and card games, RGB scart support for Framemeistering, multi-region support and that is everdrive compatible. (and, perhaps, the moon on a stick) 

 

Research has been pointing me toward DUO-R systems with a mod chip installed for RGB and region-lock, does that sound about right? 

 

Do any of you have recommendations for PC engine sellers and/or UK based console modders? I was looking at doujindance on eBay who sells pre-modified systems and has a good looking profile and loads of positive feedback, but then I found this post on another forum which details his work and it put me off. I also read somewhere that modded systems aren't always everdrive compatible as the cartridge port requires more power or something. Am I barking up the wrong tree with the DUO? Should I look into separate CD / card machines? Should I go NTSC-J or US? 

 

Any help would be very appreciated! Thank you kindly!

 

 

 

 

Drop ConsolePassion an email. He did mine years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're going down the Everdrive route you won't need it region modded; just get the right Everdrive for your region.  One of the Duos is definitely your best option in terms of covering most games, but you'd still need an Arcade Card for Arcade CD games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Camel said:

If you're going down the Everdrive route you won't need it region modded; just get the right Everdrive for your region.  One of the Duos is definitely your best option in terms of covering most games, but you'd still need an Arcade Card for Arcade CD games. 

 

TED is switchable between pce (jpn) and tg16 (us) hardware, not sure they're region specific?

 

Actually, what IS the deal with pal tg16s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes, that's right.  Obviously haven't touched that switch since sticking it in my Duo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SeanR said:

 

Actually, what IS the deal with pal tg16s?

 

Mine plays US games but not PCE games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand it the thing with using an everdrive in conjunction with a Duo is that you need to put a specially patched CD BIOS on the sd card that lets the Duo know not to fight the everdrive for the system RAM that it already has built in. Otherwise you could end up harming / placing undue stress on both the everdrive and Duo. I think the specially duo-patched ED bios is an easy find (krikkz forum, smokemonster romset etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

As I understand it the thing with using an everdrive in conjunction with a Duo is that you need to put a specially patched CD BIOS on the sd card that lets the Duo know not to fight the everdrive for the system RAM that it already has built in. Otherwise you could end up harming / placing undue stress on both the everdrive and Duo. I think the specially duo-patched ED bios is an easy find (krikkz forum, smokemonster romset etc).

 

Didn't know about this.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was super tempted by one of these but the non casing makes me nervous.

 

Is the underside just a raw circuit board?

Hu Cards get scratched going in and out of the machine.

 

I read somewhere that everdrives have thicker connectors and aren't supposed to be regularly removed from the system is that right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see why it would ever need to leave the machine, except maybe to use one of the CD Rom system cards, but I think you can even run those from it.  Never tried that, mind you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can run them all except the Arcade Card.  Think that one has some extra RAM or something IIRC, so the Ever Drive can't run it as a ROM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so, I'm all good to go, with 3rd-party MD1 psu and MD1 stereo composite cable, just to start with, the TBED (as they insist on calling it) holding a 32gb microsd, with the full 178mb ROM set, give or take some homebrew stuff.

 

firstly, its a two button combination to start a game, select AND run. You can change it, but it doesn't stick. Decided id go through a few titles, alphabetical order. Started with Alien Crush, a pinball game I'm only vaguely aware of via devil crush, which had an Atari st port.

 

WP_20170910_003.thumb.jpg.a7f98338f9fe7a6f1c3bfb225fa248c7.jpg

 

I play a single game, scoring an extra ball in the process, and when I finish I hit the reset button to load the next title.

 

D3

 

an error message. I try the reset again.

 

D3

 

turn it off and on again

 

D3

 

scour the forums. Its a memory card error, maybe too many files. I split the collection into 3 parts: A-F, G-Q, and R-Z. I'm going to try again. If this fails, I might try a smaller memory card. Say 256mb?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should work,  I split a full set into alphabetical chunks on a big card and it was fine.  Flash carts tend to hissy fit if you just bung a thousand ROMs into the root.

 

Edit - also, hurry up and get to 'C' for Coryoon.  It's the best game ever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Card is now read fine, but starting games seems to be a different button combination every time. Still...

 

Spoiler

WP_20170910_004.thumb.jpg.e8b85283b275d7e5fdcc4d753571bc3c.jpg

WP_20170910_006.thumb.jpg.50a6388aea49cd6c5ae2659e16c0c359.jpg

WP_20170910_007.thumb.jpg.ecb55e02bc9ec2c47b754cb594ae8445.jpg

 

ive never played SCI before, I don't think. I liked Chase HQ, but this... Shooting?

 

r-type with some vertical scrolling so that it has a full play area? Why have they done this? I dont.remember it in any other version. Looks the best though, of the home conversions. Level 2 still has the best safe area/collision detection glitch.

 

victory run. I had to play it, because when I first started looking at NEC machines, I seriously consider a PAL TG from consolegoods.co.uk. One of the bundles was £80 inc. Victory run, and the PCE/TG16 adaptor was only £60... At the time, obv. Anyway, manual gears!?! Ouch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.