Dishonored 2

What a fucking mess. Guess I'll wait until next year when I have a better PC to simply bruteforce it. It can't even hold a steady 30fps on consoles which is ridiculous considering the engine doesn't seem to provide any meaningful enhancements over the previous game, visually speaking anyway.  

It pretty much looks worse, I went from the DLC for the first game back to 2 and it looks a bit fuzzier and runs like a dog. But with loads of ugly postprocessing.

Anyway, the latest patch mostly fixed this for me on a 1080, so I went back and started again from the beginning. Spent five hours in Karnaca doing everything there is to do, trolling the guards mercilessly, using the heart on everyone, robbing the shop etc. So so so good.

• Upvote 1

I'd been looking forward to this for a while but it runs like such a dogs dinner I couldn't muster up any enthusiasm to play it. The fact it wanted me to download 9gb for a slight performance upgrade really took the piss.

When you have games like Uncharted 4 and Titanfall 2 that work as intended out the box with stable frame rates with very small patches to improve an already solid performance, I don't have time for games like this any more. 

Bethesda already pissed me off that you have to download 25gb of patches just to play Doom without screen tearing, effectively rendering the disc version useless. I will never buy games from them day one again and I hope more people follow suit.

I really enjoyed this, the gimmicks on some of the missions were fantastic and the gameplay was really enjoyable, but good lord the ending was just terrible! I'd say even worse than the first one.

Spoiler

Coming back to Dunwall Tower was a pretty fun mission, liked the little nods to people that played the first one (there's a secret room in both versions that in this provides an easy shortcut to the throne room). Dealing with Delilah was alright but I preferred Daud's version in the original and then you pop out, spend 10 seconds 'rescuing' your family member and then get a short unsatisfying monolog to cap off. I'd really hoped that they'd put a little more effort in this time, i'll definitely be playing again but it does feel a little tarnished now :(

Loved the first game but I'm not feeling this at all, nothing to do with any technical issues ( PS4 ) & I think it easily looks as good as the first one. 

Not sure if I've changed in what I enjoy now or if it's something else but it's leaving me a bit cold. Made it about halfway through mission 3 & have no compulsion to go back. Playing as Emily but I don't think it would have made much difference if I'd chosen Corvo instead. 

I've been reloading when spotted up till now but if I do go back, I think I'll just press on regardless of things go tits up. 

Picked up The Division yesterday cheap on Amazon & the first two hours of that have been brilliant so it might be some time before I return. 

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Moz said:

It pretty much looks worse, I went from the DLC for the first game back to 2 and it looks a bit fuzzier and runs like a dog. But with loads of ugly postprocessing.

Anyway, the latest patch mostly fixed this for me on a 1080, so I went back and started again from the beginning. Spent five hours in Karnaca doing everything there is to do, trolling the guards mercilessly, using the heart on everyone, robbing the shop etc. So so so good.

Yeah the new options also help like being able to lock the framerate etc. Locked mine to 45 fps and it never budges from that resulting in a much smoother experience. Can run everything full as well, even with HBAO+ on.

Also finished it yesterday. Ending was okay but the story isn;t as good as the first. Still the gameplay holds up nicely.

I think it looks superb on PS4. I assumed it was being supersampled but apparently it's the AA solution which is quite good (have seen some people on PC complaining the TAA is blurry - maybe if you're closer to the screen).

But I haven't had any desire to return to this and finish it (think I've only got two missions left) after missions 6 and 7 bored me stiff. At the moment it's between this and Titanfall 2 and Titanfall wins every time.

The last few patches have mostly fixed this for me. I ended up running it in very high, I've got it set to drop the resolution from 1440 to 1080 if the framerate goes below 80, and now it's very consistently paced for the sake of a bit of blurriness in the outside scenes, which I can live with. It runs about 100fps and looks good enough, so I'm happy although it could still be a lot better.

I opted to play through the game a second time as it was finally running nicely. I still took Emily but I dropped dark vision entirely. It's useful but you also spend half the game looking at an orange mess without taking it the art design - the Batman problem. It turns out you don't really need it, though I do play the game like Trials HD and quicksave/quickload constantly.

I've been taking my time, making sure to find every rune/charm in every level, do every optional objective and use the heart on almost everyone. The game drips with efficient storytelling and worldbuilding, I'm seeing and hearing things I completely missed on my first time through. I've been playing a sort of stealth nonlethal assault approach, knocking everyone out and stashing them away while I hoover up pennies and figs and occasionally finish an objective or two. It really stands up to repeated playthroughs, the game works brilliantly whatever approach you take though I imagine shooting/stabbing everyone without stealth is the least exciting way to go.

Playing the DLC for the original, which I did while I waited for the patch, really gave the second game some context I was missing. Especially when it comes to Delilah.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't agree more.  Loving this now that the patches have solved the sharp frame rate dips (primarily due to adaptive resolution now working).

Taking the same approach as you Moz, slowly moving through the levels and exploring. Haven't been spotted yet and up to the 4th mission.  Bit of quickloading at times, but nothing frustrating.

I haven't touched dark vision for the same reason as you, but maxed out Domino early.  It's so satisfying using far reach to get some elevation over a group of enemies, linking them all, then taking them out at once. Brilliant.

• Upvote 1

I had to enable triple buffering (Or at least on Jindosh Mansion I had to, but I've left it on) to get things to play on Very High at 1440p but it stays at a solid 60fps now with the odd judder sometimes in larger areas where it drops a frame or two. It's not ideal, but it's very playable and looks pretty good so I've been really enjoying it. I'm on the 6th mission now as Corvo. Mostly stealth for me but I'm not using Quick Save/Load too much, so I just take things as they come, but my save says "Low Chaos".

Performance has been mostly fine for me.

There's one glitch that's bugging the absolute fuck out of me though: gaps that you should be able to fit through when sneaking but end up getting stuck, such as the little gate things above elevator doors. It's like your character isn't quite crouching down far enough. I have to attempt it multiple times at different angles before getting through.

Such a shame you only get the time travel thing for a single level, too.

25 minutes ago, fasteasyfree said:

Performance has been mostly fine for me.

There's one glitch that's bugging the absolute fuck out of me though: gaps that you should be able to fit through when sneaking but end up getting stuck, such as the little gate things above elevator doors. It's like your character isn't quite crouching down far enough. I have to attempt it multiple times at different angles before getting through.

Such a shame you only get the time travel thing for a single level, too.

That Timepiece is the kind of cool gadget that you'd only get in a Valve game. Some have said they don't like that level, but someone at Arkane came up with the Timepiece and it was just too good to not use it in Dishonored. It's so perfect for a stealth level.

I'm doing that level now, total stealth, no kills or alerts. So good.

I've been slowly making my way through this since last Sunday (incidentally, it works really well combined with Guilty Gear Xrd and Assault Android Cactus; a tense, stealthy mission of Dishonored 2, then an hour or two of Guilty Gear learning, then a half-hour burst of Cactus to wind down is very pleasant indeed). Just about to enter the clockwork mansion as Emily, no kills yet and never spotted. Also stopping scripted deaths from happening where possible, which has led to some amusingly panicky situations as I stealth knock-out every witness in a row as quickly as possible, though that's become a lot easier since investing in domino.

I've been lucky enough to avoid performance issues (my 1070 and 6600k seem to be brute-forcing past any potential problems), and while I don't think the art style has been as striking as the first game's, I am very much enjoying the level design generally. Perhaps even moreso than the original.

So, yeah, I'm enjoying myself, despite the inferior art style and storytelling to the original.

Also, sneaking into every house and stealing the bath salts is proving quite entertaining. As is knocking off every black market store. I'll never not appreciate being given the opportunity to rob a game world blind.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Domino feels like cheating and essentially triples/quadruples your ammo.

I use it but try not to rely on it. 

In the museum I had the whole place KO'd in under 5 minutes with it. 

Yeah, those witches hanging around in groups of two or three are just too handy for it.

Unfortunately, I played as Corvo, so just had to time the takedowns accordingly.

Just finished this (Emily, Low Chaos).

Can't see myself going back for a replay any time soon. The world is still wonderful, and I think graphically it's a masterpiece - genuinely looks like a painting in places, but it's marred by poor story, characters and dialogue. The way it kept spelling things out really disappointed. 

More importantly, gameplay wise, it still feels like it suffers from the problems of the first game, which is that it encourages you to play in one specific way and stick to it. You can't really mix and match without worrying about your chaos level.

Untapped Potential/10.

Edit: Watching the high chaos endings on YouTube has left an even worse taste in my mouth. Incredibly stupid and binary.

I played & loved the original Dishonored (but sold my PS3 before finishing the last level) so when I got this I decided to play as Emily not only because her new powers offered something different from Corvo's but also because it just made more narrative sense that the bad guys would focus on neutralising Corvo because they think he's the only real threat to their plans & Emily would be helpless without him.  It was then very satisfying to play as her & completely subvert the Damsel in Distress/Kidnapped Princess (Empress) Tropes by having her rescue herself & then systematically taking the conspirators & their plans apart.

Non-Leathally though of course.  I determined right from the start that I wanted a low-chaos run, & I managed to get through the game without (directly) killing a single person, though I decided not to bother going full ghost.  Much better (And more fun) to find creative ways to deal with detections than trying to avoid them entirely.

I enjoyed playing the game immensely though I felt the ending was a little weak.  I got some of the hidden trophies/special actions but missed some that I really would like to go back for (Get Jindosh without letting him know that you're in his house for instance, something i feel i could pull off now that i know the layout) but I'm uncertain if I'll try that in a Corvo playthrough or perhaps wait for the New Game Plus/Mission Select DLC they say is coming.

Speaking of DLC though, have they mentioned if there's any more story-based DLC in the Pipeline? I missed out on the Daud stuff for the original, which i heard was pretty good, so I'm hoping this story isn't over just yet.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Jarik said:

I played & loved the original Dishonored (but sold my PS3 before finishing the last level) so when I got this I decided to play as Emily not only because her new powers offered something different from Corvo's but also because it just made more narrative sense that the bad guys would focus on neutralising Corvo because they think he's the only real threat to their plans & Emily would be helpless without him.  It was then very satisfying to play as her & completely subvert the Damsel in Distress/Kidnapped Princess (Empress) Tropes by having her rescue herself & then systematically taking the conspirators & their plans apart.

Non-Leathally though of course.  I determined right from the start that I wanted a low-chaos run, & I managed to get through the game without (directly) killing a single person, though I decided not to bother going full ghost.  Much better (And more fun) to find creative ways to deal with detections than trying to avoid them entirely.

I enjoyed playing the game immensely though I felt the ending was a little weak.  I got some of the hidden trophies/special actions but missed some that I really would like to go back for (Get Jindosh without letting him know that you're in his house for instance, something i feel i could pull off now that i know the layout) but I'm uncertain if I'll try that in a Corvo playthrough or perhaps wait for the New Game Plus/Mission Select DLC they say is coming.

Speaking of DLC though, have they mentioned if there's any more story-based DLC in the Pipeline? I missed out on the Daud stuff for the original, which i heard was pretty good, so I'm hoping this story isn't over just yet.

Nothing mentioned yet on more story DLC. I sure hope there is some planned though.

9 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Not loving Stilton's Mansion at all. 

The Timepiece takes a little while to get used to, but is a fascinating mechanic for stealth & exploration once you get the hang of when to view and/or switch between the times.

There's also 2 things you can do to alter the present circumstances of 2 of the game's characters.  One was so obvious that I'm still kicking myself for missing it, but the other is much more obscure, to the point where I not only missed it but don't know how it can be done at all.

I did try keeping a save at the beginning of that level because it was so unique, but accidentally overwrote it.  I'm hoping that the mission select DLC that they say is coming in a update will make getting back to that both that level & the Clockwork Mansion easier.

3 minutes ago, Jarik said:

The Timepiece takes a little while to get used to, but is a fascinating mechanic for stealth & exploration once you get the hang of when to view and/or switch between the times.

There's also 2 things you can do to alter the present circumstances of 2 of the game's characters.  One was so obvious that I'm still kicking myself for missing it, but the other is much more obscure, to the point where I not only missed it but don't know how it can be done at all.

I did try keeping a save at the beginning of that level because it was so unique, but accidentally overwrote it.  I'm hoping that the mission select DLC that they say is coming in a update will make getting back to that both that level & the Clockwork Mansion easier.

The original game had a mission select, so you could just play a favourite level if you wanted.

17 hours ago, Jarik said:

Finished the mission this morning. I changed the present somewhat...

I knocked out Stilton and he didn't go crazy!

There was also something about a balcony that I couldn't quite figure out!

I got the "Clean Hands" achievement, despite 2 instances where NPC'S died.  One was where one of the dogs in the museum knocked over some kind of lamp or torch as it was patrolling & set some unconscious Witches on fire, & another was when a group of rats in the Dust District decided to devour some unconscious Overseers. 

Both instances though, the game decided I wasn't directly responsible, so my achievement was safe.

• Upvote 2