rllmuk
rubberducker

PlayStation VR

6 minutes ago, Popo said:

Thanks that’s good to know. I’m looking forward to playing Astrobot and maybe will grab Tetris later, so I’ll do a bit of research on the other must haves. 

Check out the lists starting from here, there are a number over the following pages. (My list splits up the ones that require moves)

Just had the Game offer of VR starter pack, Astro Bot + RE 7 & 2 months free Now TV for £179.99 come up.

The deals are coming thick and fast 

Got Astrobot in my basket and noticed Raw Data on sale, sure that looked good at some point, I have the moves plus the aim controller, although pretty sure it doesn't use that. Is it any good, worth £7.99?

EDIT* Watched a few vids and it looked like fun so took the plunge. VR night ahead so brewing some ginger tea and taking an anti nausea pill wahey.

Just picked up a Move +V2 bundle from Argos for £229. Not the best but I wanted it for tonight and I got Astro Bot and Skyrim VR for twenty notes each in the PSN sale. I already own Tetris, Rez, Wipeout and GT Sport from when I previously had one at launch. I went way way too hard with it, probably ten hours on the first day and it fucked me uppppp, was lucky enough to get a full refund on medical grounds, honestly. I'll be very very gentle this time to work up to it.

Anyone got any tips to build VR legs? 

How... how fucked up are we talking?

I get motion sickness on the train, so I’m a little bit worried about this!

If I continue too long after I can feel the nausea starting it writes me off for the entire night. I never really get ill and never felt motion sickness before playing Dreadhalls on my GearVr. Some games are fine, one you would think to be a killer which is far from it is Polybius but 10 mins on Driveclub and I'm moaning in a dark room for hours. I'm gutted as I've hankered for the VR revolution for nearly 30 years and then it arrives and I'm shite. I deffo think it can be overcome and I'm adamant that Astrobot is going to usher in my VR legs. But I have had it so bad that even the thought of putting my HMD on has made me feel odd. Going to beat it this time, even if it takes weeks of baby steps. 

• Upvote 1

Similar here. When I say fucked up, I mean derealisation, anxiety, nausea, some visual distortion. It's important to remember though that it was my first taste of VR and I decided that if I felt sick I should carry on to get used to it. That's the very very worst thing you can do. My wife was out for the day and I literally played from 8am to about 8pm with breaks for lunch and dinner. I also had four or five beers in the evening 'to help me get through it'. Again, worst possible idea. I felt fucking horrendous by the time I finished, couldn't sleep, room spinning and seeing mad shapes and shit, and still felt fucked up the next day. I may well be more susceptible than most but there's absolutely no doubt that what I did to myself was some Guantanamo/Clockwork Orange shit, through pure ignorance and bloody mindedness. I mean, I played Thumper for about five hours straight. 

I played for an hour the next day as part of my 'train yourself not to be sick' idiocy and felt like death. I had to go for a walk and then have a lip. Still felt shit all day and evening. I tried it again the day after and even the smell of the headset made me want to hurl and I returned it. Only after that did I read up and find that I'd done the very very worst things you could do if you wanted your brain to reject the experience completely. I'll be much much much more gentle this time because I want to enjoy this. 

• Empathy 2

I was pretty smug on my initial playing thinking it didn’t do anything to my feeling sick levels until I spun around and looked down in Rez and actually lost my footing as my legs just gave way :lol:

I generally find I get pretty hot and lose the ability to focus when I’ve had too much so easy tells to stop, it’s not a barrier at all and imo I find the general bluryness/low res the biggest issue in the early days of using it - the immersion is incredible esp with a decent set of headphones.

The only times where I've felt dodgy is when I've overdone it a little - once was when I tried Direct Assault on Rez (or it could have been the endless mode) before really getting my "VR legs", and another time when I tried Zone in Wipeout. I can't describe it as motion sickness; more like a sensory disconnect where my mind couldn't keep up with the VR-ness and I lose focus and have to take the thing off. The feeling passes pretty quickly though!

Finally got one of these a couple of weeks ago and adore it, had some stunning experiences and with my kids and family also love it

Astro Bot and Wipeout are exceptional

One question though - does everyone else’s view seem like looking through a net or really speckly, especially during dark images and across the whole field of view?

Its not the game image itself as it moves with the headset and just looks like it’s on the visor

I know the image quality isn’t supposed to be great but this seems odd and not by design so just wondering if it’s normal?

8 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Similar here. When I say fucked up, I mean derealisation, anxiety, nausea, some visual distortion. It's important to remember though that it was my first taste of VR and I decided that if I felt sick I should carry on to get used to it. That's the very very worst thing you can do. My wife was out for the day and I literally played from 8am to about 8pm with breaks for lunch and dinner. I also had four or five beers in the evening 'to help me get through it'. Again, worst possible idea. I felt fucking horrendous by the time I finished, couldn't sleep, room spinning and seeing mad shapes and shit, and still felt fucked up the next day. I may well be more susceptible than most but there's absolutely no doubt that what I did to myself was some Guantanamo/Clockwork Orange shit, through pure ignorance and bloody mindedness. I mean, I played Thumper for about five hours straight. 

I played for an hour the next day as part of my 'train yourself not to be sick' idiocy and felt like death. I had to go for a walk and then have a lip. Still felt shit all day and evening. I tried it again the day after and even the smell of the headset made me want to hurl and I returned it. Only after that did I read up and find that I'd done the very very worst things you could do if you wanted your brain to reject the experience completely. I'll be much much much more gentle this time because I want to enjoy this. 

Picked the VR Worlds bundle and Astrobot up the other week for £199. Bit of an impulse buy, as i’d sort of written PSVR off and didn’t think VR could ever live up to my expectations anyway. Pfffft, how wrong could I be! However, as amazing as VR is, the past week and a half has been quite a ride......

Got the bundle Monday before last, as I was off work for the week and it was on that night I fired it up for the first time. It had to be Rez of course for my first taste of VR, one of my fav games since the DC days. HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! Nothing was ever going to prepare me for what I experienced. I really was “inside the game”, totally and completely immersed.......and it was fucking euphoric! I was stood in the living room dancing away, but at the same time in this “other world”, my mind completely blown that this kind of experience is even possible in 2018, let alone on a measly base PS4! After a couple of hrs I headed for bed absolutely buzzing and filled with excitement to play more the next day.

Tuesday i tried VR Worlds out with the GF. Both of us were blown away by the shark attack diving demo thingy. The 3D, the sense of place and scale and how you felt as though you were really there......amazing! Then I tried Playroom VR........and was floored all over again! The room with the grabber machine, the way you could look up and see birds fly over or the giant dinosaur/Monster looming over you as it peered through the window! Easily one of the most amazing and joy filled moments i’ve ever had from a game. I had a massive grin on my face! I genuinely thought i’d never get to experience anything like it in my entire lifetime! I had no idea just how good VR is and what a game changer it is. Mind blown! I ended up pulling an all nighter trying out other stuff like Wipeout and YouTube VR.

I was busy Wednesday so didn’t get to play till late. I tried some more games and demos out including Dirt Rally - the first to make me feel a bit woozy, before calling it a night.

Thursday I got some time free late afternoon, so stuck on Here They Lie. Fucking hell! Horror games in VR! Played till the first big jump scare (about 30mins in) and then quickly decided to switch it off! Pussy! Hahaha. And that’s when I noticed something wasn’t right......

I felt sort of out of it and spaced out. Looking around stuff looked “off”. Everything seemed more 3D. I went out for a bit......my vision seemed sharper, colours were brighter and more vivid, I was noticing shit i’d never noticed before - the individual pixels or whatever on petrol station signs, reflections on cars that seemed intricately detailed and how they flowed over their bodywork like water over stone, the individual bulbs on Traffic lights. I shit you not! Hahaha. I basically felt like I was on some crazy drugs and tripping off my tits! My GF’s living room suddenly felt twice as big as it had ever been before! I seemed to be in some kind of altered state of consciousness. It didn’t feel good at all and it was about to get a whole lot worse.......

I fell asleep on the sofa watching a film with the GF.......and when I woke up I was no longer in my body. I could hear myself talking but my voice was no longer my own. I could see my body but it was no longer my own body. Sounds didn’t seem real. Everything around me seemed “fake” and in “Ultra 3D”. It was fucking horrific. I’d never felt anything like it before and obviously I was scared shitless! I started to feel confused and disorientated on top of all this and incredibly anxious too, it felt like I was gone and never coming back. I went to bed and as soon as the lights went out it felt as though I was back inside the PSVR headset, the fuzzy pattern you see when the lenses are dark, smeared across my vision. Nothing felt real. My hands and arms didn’t feel like they belonged to me. What the fuck was happening? I woke in the night a few times and it felt like I was in VR and everything around me was in “Ultra 3D”. It was an incredibly disturbing feeling.

I woke Friday to find I was still completely fucked and gone. It was then that I started to realise what was going on. I was having a very intense bout of derealisation and depersonalisation, brought on by using VR. I’ve studied Psychology and also have had ex’s that have worked in the mental health field, so know that this is really, REALLY not good at all, especially if it’s a prolonged episode. It’s essentially a condition linked to severe anxiety issues, personality disorders and illnesses such as bipolar and schizophrenia. Great! Luckily, as Friday wore on the derealisation/depersonalisation turned back to just feeling really spaced out. However, I then started to feel even more anxious and depressed to boot. No more VR for me!

Over the course of the weekend those feelings eventually finally subsided and since this Wednesday just gone, I’ve been feeling a lot better and pretty much back to my old self. Thank fuck for that! 

Having experienced this, I can safely say that I think there are going to be some pretty big issues cropping up in future surrounding VR and the potential negative affects it has on the brain and especially on how it may trigger or affect certain individuals that have latent or undiagnosed mental health issues. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we don’t see some kind of big lawsuit being filed if VR ever goes truly mainstream. 

That said (and this is probably the most outrageously mental part) I’m back on the PSVR!!! Hahaha. I think that probably shows just how awesome it is! Played again on Wednesday night. Took it very slowly. Played Astrobot.....and what can I say - Beachside Boogie! Fucking CLASS!!! Again, one of the best gaming experiences i’ve ever had and along with Tetris Effect up there for my GOTY. Spent the brief session with a HUGE smile on my face! Since then have tried Ultrawings, (I love Pilotwings) and I can say, after perservering for a bit, that it’s the only game so far that gives me really bad motion sickness, even with the comfort settings on. Feels a bit like somebody’s whisking my brain up every time I bank the plane! Hahaha. So, yeah, I have felt a bit spaced out after playing, and i’m 100% questioning just how daft I am for even using VR again considering but, so far, i’ve had no more major problems. Fingers crossed it stays that way, as when I was originally playing in VR and from my brief time spent on Astrobot, it was and has been absolutely immense and pretty much a dream come true for me!

Long post, but thought it was worth writing down my experiences in case they might potentially help out someone or at least inform them on the possible side effects of VR.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 5

@Fully Aspel exactly the same thing happened to me after completing batman in one session . For about 3 days after it I felt really weird and would look down at my hands and it was if they weren’t mine . It went away like you say but after that I definitely made sure I took breaks regularly 

Finally summoned up the energy to hook up my PSVR again this morning. I've been putting it off because my 4k monitor really doesn't like the PSVR breakout box and then I ended up in hospital. I've now set it up so I just need to unplug the PS4 hdmi cable from the 4k monitor, plug it into the breakout box and the display switches to my 1080p monitor. After the district nurse has been I shall mostly be playing The Tetris Effect and Astro Bot.

I've got pretty good VR legs. Full look controls on the right stick don't bother me. The only thing I find is I need to take a break every hour or so or I start to feel a little queasy.

I've never regretted my PSVR purchase day 1. It's been great.

3 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

@Fully Aspel exactly the same thing happened to me after completing batman in one session . For about 3 days after it I felt really weird and would look down at my hands and it was if they weren’t mine . It went away like you say but after that I definitely made sure I took breaks regularly 

I get this for about an hour every time I play Bridge Crew!

Is there anywhere that usually has demo units setup? John Lewis or somewhere? Prices are tempting now, particularly in these sales, but I'd like to get an idea of the image quality, for example, before I take the plunge.

(I did look on Google but didn't really find anything other than old articles about Game charging money for demos a couple of years ago.)

You can buy online and return it if it’s not for you, I guess.

Image quality is fine. In general, the games look simple, and jaggies are rife, but you genuinely forget it all. There is no lag whatsoever when moving your head around - which still amazes me to this day - and along with the 3D sound it really sells the experience of being somewhere you’re not.

I'm hovering close to getting PSVR, I'd have bought that Currys deal with the moves last night if it was actually in stock anywhere in the country. Also, I need a working PS4. But in the meantime, I may as well buy some games I can't play seeing as there's a sale on and can I go wrong with these?

Superhot VR, seems like the perfect fit but I hated the non-VR version, I think I just wasn't feeling how it controlled and dumped it pretty quickly. Maybe it seemed like I just felt a bit detached and cold with it, but then I'd guess with VR that's exactly what's being added to the mix? Is it still playable if you can't get Moves or does that take away that immersion again too much?

Batman Arkham VR. I've read it's short, but you're Batman. Again, if I can't get Moves is it playable? 

Astro Bot, obviously. Most of the deals come with it as a pack in but I don't do discs. Plus lets say to do get a PSVR and do manage to get my PS4 working for long enough for something to boot, I'm fairly certain I've knackered the drive leads in the PS4 during the multiple times I've had it open, those connectors are a bit fragile. 

Robinson: The Journey. I understand this might look amazing but isn't much, but given it's almost always the most stupidly high priced thing I've ever seen would it be worth a tenner regardless?

Statik I'd never heard of until someone mentioned it above but it's in the sale and looks interesting. Is it just you standing there with your hands in a box working out puzzles with a sort of Portal/Stanley Parable narrative behind it? That'd be fine, if it doesn't get frustratingly difficult and obtuse.

You need moves for Superhot and Batman. Superhot is for me the best total use of the possibilities of VR there is, truly incredible.

Statik is pretty much static, it’s also excellent. Basically it looks like your hands are trapped in a box (this works by tracking the DS4). You press buttons on the DS4 which make things happen on the box and you have to work out what you need to do to solve each box. It’s reasonably short but really fun and amusing at times. Puzzles aren’t particularly obtuse, and it’s a game I always recommend. Good for getting into VR as, again, it’s static.

Picked up Batman and AstroBot in the sales. And I got some Moves a week or so ago. 

And I haven’t played a flat game in more than a month. 

But nah, VR is never going to catch on. 

Oh man. Astrobot Rescue. Where have you been all my (vr) life? It's fucking glorious.

• Upvote 1

Picked up another VR set from Game today for £179.99 with Astrobot and they gave me a choice of RE:7 or SuperHot. I took SuperHot. I was offered the moves at £40 but declined as i've already got a set. 

Firewall zero hour bundle is 45 squids a bunch of places for Black Friday, should I go for it - people on here still playing it??

I'm really tempted to jump in but I'm absolutely garbage with motion sickness. Should I just leave it? I really wanna play Astro Bot!

Edit: Fully Aspel's write-up scares me a little

Stupid question perhaps but do travel sickness tablets work in cases of significant adverse reaction to VR? 

40 minutes ago, Popo said:

Stupid question perhaps but do travel sickness tablets work in cases of significant adverse reaction to VR? 

It's generally not considered a good idea to push yourself in VR if you start feeling sick. You need to stop and take a break. Some people like me can take any type of game (Up to about an hour in my case). Some people have problems with specific control methods. My friend's wife for example can't play Here They Lie but is fine with other games. Here they lie just makes her sick straight away. Some people I believe can't tolerate it at all.

I struggled with full rightstick look controls at first but found by the time Resi 7 came out I was perfectly fine with them. Slow and steady with plenty of breaks.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kelthink said:

I'm really tempted to jump in but I'm absolutely garbage with motion sickness. Should I just leave it? I really wanna play Astro Bot!

Edit: Fully Aspel's write-up scares me a little

It's heavily game-dependent in my experience. The motion sickness is caused by a disconnect between what you're seeing on screen and what your body is telling you is going on. So stuff where you're fairly static, or feel like you're sitting down, tends to be fine. Games where you're being whisked around or your viewpoint is changing rapidly can trigger motion sickness in some players.

I have no problems whatsoever with Astro-Bot, where your actual player movement is pretty limited and you float forwards slowly and intermittently - most of the actual "motion" is just you sitting in one spot and looking around, and that's fine. I think it's been very cleverly designed to minimise sickness (and you can see the ways in which they've improved it since the VR Worlds demo that inspired it). Likewise games like Statik, where you're in a single location and don't move around at all. Driving games tend to be OK if they have sensible comfort settings. Even Rush of Blood, which is pretty frantic, is just a roller-coaster simulator basically, your actual "character" is sitting in one place and being wheeled around and there's no huge disconnect between that and the feeling you have of sitting on your sofa.

It's stuff like Skyrim and RE7 that a lot of people find difficult - that feeling where you push the right stick and your whole viewpoint lurches to the left or right even though your body knows it hasn't moved, or where you dash forwards, stop, dash forwards again...

• Upvote 1

Right so I got it all set up and had a bit of a go on the astro bot demo on the vr world thing. 

Seems you need to sit fairly close? When I'm on my sofa it says outside play area until we move much closer. Is there a way to adjust this?