Cricket Thread

• 3 weeks later...

So is Fakhar Zaman though. Pitches like this favour chasing so much as being able to know what rate you need is such an advantage. Will need to play well to do it, but I would make Pakistan strong favourites from here.

Think it’s a reasonably open tournament, England apart. All the big teams have a glaring weakness, and there’s only three real minnows who are still decent on their day. India I think will struggle if they have to bat first and look a bit light in the bowling, Bumrah apart, and should have taken Pant over Dhoni. Australia’s batting outside the top four is weak and I think their all rounders are poor with the ball. South Africa are overdependent on de Kock and du Plessis and will struggle to post 300. New Zealand don’t have a great middle order apart from Williamson and I don’t rate their spinners. West Indies are very inconsistent and I think they have to hope their power hitters blow teams away as I don’t think they will be able to defend any score below the ridiculous. Pakistan’s bowling looks weak and they are pretty reliant on Khan and Afridi coming good which is a lot to put on young shoulders, they also need more runs from their lower-middle order. England just look to be pretty complete, would have them down as having the best openers, best middle order, best finishers, equal best spinners, best all rounders. Only real weakness is the seam bowling and even that looks very strong with Archer now. Anything can happen in the knockouts, but England should stroll through the group you would think.

England will never have a better chance to win the World Cup. They have so much going in their favour - a genuinely great team, no real injury worries, their star players are in good form, and they have home advantage, something that is arguably more important in cricket than any other sport. Of course, all of this means there is absolutely no way in hell they'll win it. 

Yep, most logical outcomes suggest England at last, but for that we all know they have a terrible collapse just waiting for us at some point. The one where the pitch doesn’t allow a full-throttle assault so they all get out cheaply hitting shots that weren’t there and then talk about backing themselves to play naturally. I wonder if they can do a whole tournament without that, or get it done with in a spare group game maybe?

1 hour ago, milko said:

Yep, most logical outcomes suggest England at last, but for that we all know they have a terrible collapse just waiting for us at some point. The one where the pitch doesn’t allow a full-throttle assault so they all get out cheaply hitting shots that weren’t there and then talk about backing themselves to play naturally. I wonder if they can do a whole tournament without that, or get it done with in a spare group game maybe?

Yep. They need that game to be a group game, because it’s definitely turning up at some point. If every round was best of three, they’d be *real* favourites.

You're right. I get the feeling with this team that after all the fireworks when it's not important, that they'll get into the World Cup and subconsciously think "time to get serious now" and revert to playing more conservatively, trying to build an innings rather than ripping it up and scoring 450. I hope I'm completely wrong. 

This is a good batting track and they're trundling along at 5.8 an over. They'll lose wickets, have to rebuild, and end up with 320, which SA will knock off with six overs to spare. 

Edit - it's happening already! :angry: