rllmuk
Don Rosco

Cricket Thread

Interesting blog from Michael Vaughan, reckons that Broad and Anderson should alternate for series up to the next Ashes to give the young bowlers more time.

alternate for entire series? Interesting, I suppose it saves one each time from having to travel. I could see us looking a bowler light when they inevitably aren't quite fit enough to play every match of the sequence, but maybe that's all a necessary part of the transitional plan. Did he have much to say about solving the batting/keeping dilemmas?

On 17 September 2019 at 15:58, milko said:

alternate for entire series? Interesting, I suppose it saves one each time from having to travel. I could see us looking a bowler light when they inevitably aren't quite fit enough to play every match of the sequence, but maybe that's all a necessary part of the transitional plan. Did he have much to say about solving the batting/keeping dilemmas?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49719709

He said selectors may have to make a "big call" and leave one of their three wicketkeeper-batsmen - Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler and Ben Foakes - out of the squad, and should also introduce younger batsmen such as Dominic Sibley, Zak Crawley or Ollie Pope to their top six.

On 19/09/2019 at 15:00, merman said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49719709

He said selectors may have to make a "big call" and leave one of their three wicketkeeper-batsmen - Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler and Ben Foakes - out of the squad, and should also introduce younger batsmen such as Dominic Sibley, Zak Crawley or Ollie Pope to their top six.

Been saying that for a while. Sibley has to open with Burns.

Great first game in Finals Day.

• Upvote 1

England Test squad: Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain, Jofra Archer (Sussex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Joe Denly (Kent), Jack Leach (Somerset), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Dominic Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Pope, Sibley, Crawley, Mahmood, Parkinson in. Bairstow out, no place for Foakes either which surprises me. Jos gonna need to have a good series with bat and gloves?

Foakes hasn’t had a great domestic season with the bat. Surprised they didn’t leave Bairstow out of the T20 squad as well and give him a proper break.

They would be one down if NZ had reviewed an innocuous appeal against Rory Burns that turned out to have taken the thinnest of thin edges.  They've looked okay though so far.  It's such a weird thing to see top-level sport being played in front of a few hundred people on chairs they've had to bring themselves.  There's no stands at all, just a grass slope all around the ground.  

FreeSports are showing T10 from Abu Dhabi.  Yes.  T10.  Presumably for those who felt T20 was too much of a commitment.

Yesterday they had a game abandoned because after a rain delay, they didn't have the paperwork showing what the required score was under Duckworth/Lewis.  They also had two ties - which are quite likely in a 10 over game - because there is no equivalent of a Super Over.

That whole league is dodgy as fuck. Odds moving an over before something happens. Some crazy innings though, that one from Banton today was very impressive. There was a great bouncer from one of the spinners yesterday as well that almost took Andre Russell’s head off.

• Upvote 1

I'm willing to give them some time as they're making all the right noises about batting long, and since they've had this 'entertaining brand' of cricket drilled into them for the past decade, I'm not expecting it to happen overnight.

I was confused by Silverwood's comments pre-series that we need to show more patience with bat AND ball though. To my mind there wasn't a great deal wrong with our bowling attack, other than an inability to dismiss Steve Smith. 

I do have concerns over Root too. I could overlooking his poor performances with the bat if he was making match winning decisions as captain but at the moment he's doing neither. Depending on how we get on over the winter is not mind seeing him step down and hand the captaincy to Buttler or Stokes. 

15 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

To my mind there wasn't a great deal wrong with our bowling attack, other than an inability to dismiss Steve Smith. 

I'm not expert enough to know this for sure but the impression I had was that they weren't very good at bowling dry during times when the ball/pitch isn't helping much. 

2 hours ago, milko said:

I'm not expert enough to know this for sure but the impression I had was that they weren't very good at bowling dry during times when the ball/pitch isn't helping much. 

That's true and does require work, but if taking a more patient approach means not giving your most threatening bowler the new ball then I'm all up for the old way.

I use my in-law’s sky sports login so I can use sky go on the PS4. They have every day of the test up for catch up apart from the last day. I am fucking apoplectic about this. What is their problem? Are they just in denial? Cricket in general is pretty poorly served on the catch up, but having 4 out of 5 days up just seems childish. 

Blimey, you have to feel for Joe Denly, who has just made the worst dropped catch I've ever seen in professional cricket. Some of the reactions on the field were hilarious. 

15 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Blimey, you have to feel for Joe Denly, who has just made the worst dropped catch I've ever seen in professional cricket. Some of the reactions on the field were hilarious. 

archer just creasing up. I suppose it helped that the match was dead.

Can you imagine if he'd done that shit in the world cup final instead, haha. Still, doesn't exactly make it look like they've approached this tour with the full level of commitment and professionalism does it.

He was one of my favourite pundits of any sport. After any of the million times Englands test team had an awful day, the highlight would be then going to Bob and him ripping them all apart. That bowling spell at Headingley in the Ashes has to be up there with the greatest performances of all time by any British sportsman as well. RIP.

• Upvote 1

One of my earliest cricket memories is Willis pounding in to bowl, hair flowing behind him and those long gangly arms dropping to his side during the run-in.