Fallows

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Funky Value Propositions

1 minute ago, Radish said:

Sorry, people exaggerating game prices to make a point is a pet peeve of mine. 

Ha, all the naysayers saying it wouldn't sell because it costs FIFTY POUNDS are now attempting to downplay its success by saying no one actually paid FIFTY POUNDS :hat:

• Upvote 1

Just now, Radish said:

Can you quote where i said that?

Not you personally but it was said an awful lot along with other disparaging remarks over the weekend.

I don't know how many games you have to sell to get to number 2 on the charts or how much it costs to port a game to a different platform as opposed to making a whole new one but I suspect the numbers will work and what is everyone arguing about.

Let's discuss things that matter. Like how erratic the difficulty curve is and how we can track down some of the level designers and make them pay.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a great computer game. 

Confirmed for filthy emulating pirate! 

25 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a great computer game. 

Yeah but you can have twice as much fun discussing pricing and sales figures on rllmuk for free! 

14 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Anyone know how much this costs on the eshop?

About twenty more than it’s worth relative to the RRP of other ports/remasters. :hat:

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

About twenty more than it’s worth relative to the RRP of other ports/remasters. :hat:

It's worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it and by all accounts it's done well so far, so :P

It should have been £20, as it’s a port from a previous gen console that was even re-released at that price. 

However, it is worth the full 40-50, especially if you’ve never played it before and even, it seems, to me, who finished it on Wii U but still payed £42.99 to play it again on Switch. 

It’s a little outrageous and people are right to question to the pricing. I suspect any other publisher would not have tried to get full price for it again. I never really moan about prices in terms of value though. I’ve always thought £40 for a good game is a great deal. It’s just that the wider industry economics, and what’s typical for this kind of thing, make it look like Nintendo are taking the piss a bit. 

• Upvote 5

25 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, should it still cost £50?

Is it a digital tree?

26 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, should it still cost £50?

Depends if you could buy it before on the Tree-U. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Super Craig said:

The game is still amazing. Just got one more level to do before unlocking hard mode again.

The hard mode is open from the start. 

That just sounds evil for the sake of it!!!

PS anyone who thinks the controls are floaty or whatever, go watch a speed run on YouTube. 

The weight and momentum certainly take a while to get used to. Floaty isn't the right word but I think I probably used the same word to describe the feel. It's definitely its own thing. Dare I say, 'sluggish' is a better descriptor?

I'll go further and say it's like Dark Souls (yup) in that you really have to commit to every button press and movement because you don't have the luxury of Mario or even Rayman with mid-air microadjustments. It's much less forgiving. You either get it right or you die, for the most part. And it partly explains why it feels so satisfying when that movement and rhythm click. 

It's only sluggish if you don't roll for speed and roll to jump. DK's base movement speed is akin to Mario's non-sprint speed in the 2D, but when you roll before doing anything else, he's quite nippy.