Inside No.9

Professor Puzzles

I really enjoyed it. I know nothing of the theatre but I get a sense it was a version of a specific type of theatrical comedy play (she says what type at the start mixed with a heist cos they both have masks). 

21 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

I know nothing of the theatre but I get a sense it was a version of a specific type of theatrical comedy play

That’s exactly how I felt too. Certainly an odd one and a feeling I’m missing some key piece to make the whole thing click. 

I enjoyed it too. Feels like I missed a lot, though. The breaking of the fourth wall allowed them to suggest that maybe they were getting lazy/short of ideas. Everyone's expecting a twist.  Then a main character says "Are you ready for the twist? It's a good one." Then right at the end you have a character who is shown to have had a double throughout. Needs a re-watch...

That didn’t do much for me. Being charitable, I assume it was riffing on tropes from a form of theatre that I know nothing about, and that all those references would be really clever and funny if I understood them. On the other hand, I don’t think I’m particularly unusual in not having that cultural knowledge. And it’s possible that even with that understanding, it would still just be a load of crap jokes.

There’s usually a weak link in every series so let’s hope they’ve got it out of the way in the first episode this time.

I really enjoyed that? It felt like a stage production and a homage to all the shit jokes in Shakespeare to me. Not sure about the final reveal though, just left me a little confused.

Well it got me on wiki to read about Commedia dell'arte which I'd not heard of.

A quick read brought to light some tropes they'd taken across. Not sure that added a great deal in retrospect, though I thought it was alright beforehand. 

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

I really enjoyed that? It felt like a stage production and a homage to all the shit jokes in Shakespeare to me. Not sure about the final reveal though, just left me a little confused.

It was his echo, no more complicated than that. I think it was a purposefully shit, surreal joke that was supposed to fall flat.

Den of Geek:

“Commedia dell’arte sounds complicated because it’s Italian, but so does bruschetta, and that’s just tomato on toast. The term describes a form of historical theatre using a group of stock characters wearing masks and doing gags around a familiar plot. (You know how, in whatever decade you watch Neighbours, there’s always a bad boy and a busybody and a Karl Kennedy; it’s the same in commedia dell’arte but with the servant, the harlequin, the doctor, the captain, the lovers and so on.)”

It was a basically a melding of Italian comedy with Reservoir Dogs, but I don’t think an appreciation of either was really necessary - I still got the jokes and understood what was going on. 

11 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Den of Geek:

“Commedia dell’arte sounds complicated because it’s Italian, but so does bruschetta, and that’s just tomato on toast. The term describes a form of historical theatre using a group of stock characters wearing masks and doing gags around a familiar plot. (You know how, in whatever decade you watch Neighbours, there’s always a bad boy and a busybody and a Karl Kennedy; it’s the same in commedia dell’arte but with the servant, the harlequin, the doctor, the captain, the lovers and so on.)”

Oh that's quite nice. So it's all just playing on tropes hence the Fleabagging (or Miranda-ing) through everything. I thought it could have been a bit tighter and I might have got it more but I really like that they make these weird episodes that one or two people will get. Like last series, my mate who's never seen Psychoville texted me after the David and Maureen episode saying "what the fuck was that shit?" to which I replied "THE BEST THING EVER!!!" 

It's brave, engaging telly, and I'm happy these two lads basically get to do what they want even if it does mean some weeks I'm left sitting scratching my head a little. 

And Trinidad and Tobago was a really really good joke. 

7 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Oh, and I went to look at cook'd and bomb'd's reaction... They pretty much universally loved it.

Only because they were mentioned, the losers.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Only because they were mentioned, the losers.

I was looking over other threads (first time in years) and they seem a lot more chilled these days. They appear to be directing all their bile at Glinner, which seems quite healthy, actually. 

I understand that it's referencing commedia dell'arte (I mean, they literally tell you this in the opening few minutes), but when you build an entire episode around something that is full of knowingly bad jokes and CBBC level slapstick, that still leaves you with 30 minutes of bad jokes and CBBC level slapstick. 

It's like a great chef doing a spot-on tribute to a service station egg sandwich or something. 

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

I was looking over other threads (first time in years) and they seem a lot more chilled these days. They appear to be directing so their bile at Glinner, which seems quite healthy, actually. 

I've been a member there since 2008, but viewing it since 2004 It was very, very nasty and spiteful for a while, especially some particular posters, but they've moved on/been banned and the last few years has been lovely.

Plus as you say, Glinner vitriol is always a win.

Yeah this felt quite stale. I thought that the woman doing the 4th wall breaking stuff was being overdone so much that I actually thought they were going to do something really interesting with it. Like someone catches her doing it and they start interrogating her, trying to figure out who she is talking to and why resulting in they themselves 'attempting' to break the 4th wall even though they are not really. Something like that. 

but no it was just someone breaking the 4th wall a few times :facepalm:

Bunch of misery guts.

I had plenty of loud laughs and was entertained. I'm a League of Gents fanboy so it's hard for me to not like what these two put out. 

Aye this felt like a waste of their talent tbh. If I wanted half an hour of shit jokes I'd watch Mrs Brown's Boys. I can see what they were going for but it fell very flat for me.

There's always one episode per series I don't get on with, mind. That fucking one in the hotel where it was all in prose did my nut in.

Can't help thinking that breaking the fourth wall to talk about how wanky you're being for doing a commedia dell'arte inspired episode, is a thousand times more wanky than just doing a commedia dell'arte inspired episode. 

I have no idea what commedia dell'arte is. But I probably would've enjoyed it more if they'd had the courage of their convictions and didn't layer so much irony over the top. Being pretentious is fine if you have some balls about it.

55 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Aye this felt like a waste of their talent tbh. If I wanted half an hour of shit jokes I'd watch Mrs Brown's Boys. I can see what they were going for but it fell very flat for me.

There's always one episode per series I don't get on with, mind. That fucking one in the hotel where it was all in prose did my nut in.

That hotel episode is one of the smartest things they've done.

14 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Aye I didn't say that one wasn't smart. It was very clever. It just wasn't to my taste at all. I can admire it for what it is though. 

On 11/05/2021 at 22:30, Don Wiskerando said:

Right. It was the first one I ever saw. I didn’t know what to expect but thought it was absolutely brilliant. Been a huge fan ever since and don’t know how I’d overlooked 4 or 5 series previously.

Really enjoyed the latest too. The only one that stands out as a disappointment to me was the Halloween special.

I really enjoyed the new episode too. I don’t know anything about commedia dell’arte and it took a little while to get used to the style, but once I picked it up I thought it was great. Gemma Whelan was the perfect choice for the servant / narrator, she can really do that kind of Shakespearean acting where you alternate between speaking to the audience and interacting with the characters, and make both utterly believable. 

The Trinidad & Tobago joke was inspired. The only negative was that I found it hard to make out some of Reeve Sheersmith’s dialogue over the music, but that could be my crap TV speakers as much as anything.