Professor Puzzles

Inside No.9

I thought it was a good episode, but watching it I was so sure that the final (first?!) 10 minutes that finally showed what was going on was going to be some incredibly clever/horrible/sad super-twist. I thought what was revealed was fine, but this episode was a victim of how high my own expectations for this show have risen. 

A very intriguing episode, building up the layers by going backwards. Must have been a nightmare to write and keep track of things. The end result felt very surreal, especially because of

Spoiler

the old man thinking he is Andrew Lloyd Webber. 

That was good, but the ending was predictable. Always accelerate out of a short story. It pondered for too long, and a specific aspect of it I found implausible and illogical.

I also thought the inclusion of Reece Shearsmith’s character was not needed.

That one needed more time in the oven to develop I think. 

But still, better than most TV these days.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I think those characters were included

Spoiler

to make you think back to earlier when it was Adrian who didnt want to move house, but made it about Harri.  It shows how manipulative he is in other ways.  I thought it was very economical storytelling 

Didn’t really do it for me tonight. Great concept, but the execution just didn’t work.

I think I’d gotten too bored with the “just a drama about a couple with a failing marriage” to be properly snapped out of it at the big reveal

• Upvote 2

That wasn’t as overtly clever as some episodes (such as all the others so far this series) but the writing and performances of the two main characters was outstanding. Between the

joyless, futile role play and the two basement reveals

I think that might be the bleakest thing they’ve ever done.

I thought that was amazing. The big reveal was outstanding, spine tingling stuff for me when we saw the door.

(A dark thought, but amazing timing with that Turpin family revelation in California for people thinking "stuff like this doesn't happen".)

For those criticising the writing / execution - please direct me to something you can recommend as i would love some new stuff to watch. :)

• Upvote 1

Great performances, particularly by the wife, but it got really contrived and on the nose at the end. Some of the dialogue was also howlingly bad. 

'It feels like it was just yesterday'

'it wasn't yesterday, it was 8 years'

CLUNK!

We're told that nearly 4 months have passed since the husband 'died'. This is not a conversation you would be having 4 months after freeing them. Frankly it's poor expository dialogue no matter how you slice it, but the timeframe involved makes it even more artificial. They're better writers than that.

Also I really didn't buy the husband's actions in those closing moments. He's kept this up for 8 years and just throws himself down the stairs clutching the key within a couple of minutes of the situation arising? Nah, I don't believe in it other than as an easy out to get him vulnerable and to alert the wife in one convenient swoop. 

Also, you totally wouldn't want to have sex with someone who has been chained to a bed in a windowless basement and fed a diet of only pot noodles for 8 years, no matter how deranged you were.

They'd probably look something like this

JulianAssangeHP-629261778.jpg

That was the first episode this series that I've not felt was amazing story wise so far. I agree with the comments about some of the dialogue not being great at the end but my god Steve Pemberton was utterly outstanding throughout the episode. 

5 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Also, you totally wouldn't want to have sex with someone who has been chained to a bed in a windowless basement and fed a diet of only pot noodles for 8 years, no matter how deranged you were.

Normal people wouldn't, no. But those addicted to the absolute control over another human being probably would.

13 hours ago, Majora said:

Great performances, particularly by the wife, but it got really contrived and on the nose at the end. Some of the dialogue was also howlingly bad. 

Hide contents

Also I really didn't buy the husband's actions in those closing moments. He's kept this up for 8 years and just throws himself down the stairs clutching the key within a couple of minutes of the situation arising? Nah, I don't believe in it other than as an easy out to get him vulnerable and to alert the wife in one convenient swoop. 

Wait, was he supposed to be trying to kill himself? I thought he’d cocked up attempting to cause an injury just severe enough to cancel the trip, but now that you mention it, why was he holding the key unless the idea was to die and for his prisoners to be discovered in the aftermath?

43 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

Reveal hidden contents

Wait, was he supposed to be trying to kill himself? I thought he’d cocked up attempting to cause an injury just severe enough to cancel the trip, but now that you mention it, why was he holding the key unless the idea was to die and for his prisoners to be discovered in the aftermath?

I also found this confusing

Before throwing himself down the stairs, he asks his wife whether the trip is insured. This surely is meant to lead the audience to believe that he was looking to cause a minor/moderate accident that would cancel the trip, but that it goes wrong and he ends up injuring himself far more severely than intended. However, it makes no sense for him to continue holding the key while all this is going on. I guess you could argue that he's in a mad panic etc, but it's all just one contrivance too far for me, and I reckon you could set up a minor, trip cancelling accident without resorting to throwing yourself down a big flight of stone steps.

I did wonder whether he intended to kill himself and for the key to be found in order to save the people he imprisoned, but the insurance line seems to null that line of thinking and it feels like less likely a motivation.

Either way, I also don't buy the wife's actions; we're meant to believe that, suspecting nothing, she runs downstairs, finds her husband severely injured with blood gushing from his head, barely conscious (or was he unconscious? I can't remember) and instead of immediately calling the ambulance and looking after her husband like any normal person would, she finds the key in his hand and instead investigates while he appears close to death? If she has no reason to suspect him of anything, as I believe is the intent, it's completely implausible.

Basically the last five minutes or so just didn't work for me at all. They didn't work hard enough to set up the final outcome.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

I assumed he was damaging himself enough to not go on holiday, maybe stay in bed for a few days, with the insurance question relating to their already tight finances, and the fact they might not be able to afford him missing work for the days it would take him to recover. Why he is holding the key? I have no idea.

Spoiler

The best interpretation I could come up with is that he confessed to his wife off-camera, after she found him. Doesn't he say 'sorry' just before that scene ends? So he was aiming for suicide, with the key as a pretty vague clue, presumably hoping the door would be discovered before his captives starved. The insurance question is baffling, perhaps just meant to be a character moment. But he shows no signs of remorse prior to this - they've had plenty of time to work remorse in if they wanted to - and it's an unnecessarily extreme reaction, so it does seem fairer to say that it simply doesn't have a very good ending, which I think has been a problem with this season in general; they're setting 'em up, but they can't knock 'em down.

The jigsaw dialogue at the start made me wonder if there was some clever structural element to this episode that I hadn't seen, but if there is then I still can't see it. Similarly, I was trying to work out if the Flying Scotsman might hold some meaning, but I've got nothing. I think this one would have been bounced out of a Tales of the Unexpected pitch session, particularly the lacklustre (and expected) twist at the end.

Someone will come along and explain the whole thing now and I'll feel terrible.

• Upvote 1