rllmuk
mrsnrub

Gunpla: The Thread

Cool. My painting is terrible! I have a stack of primed models but i just can’t motivate myself to get on with the painting because I’m that bad!

2 hours ago, Jashin said:

Cool. My painting is terrible! I have a stack of primed models but i just can’t motivate myself to get on with the painting because I’m that bad!

I'd just go for it. You aren't going to be perfect, but you don't need to be. And the practice will help - each piece is a learning experience. I'm still crap I've painted a few at this point.

Besides, if it really goes wrong, weathering hides a multitude of sins ;)

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

RG Sinanju

OZnvwbx.jpg

iaemoLx.jpg

2MiOXao.jpg

Finally getting to the decals.

This thing has been a complete bastard. It's taken well over an hour to get it to the state or is in now, things just would not go together no matter the sanding and what not. Kinda fucked up the paint in places as a result :(

As always I'd be really happy with some constructive criticism. I've somewhat changed the plan on this as I've gone. Originally I planned to have 2 finishes on it but it's probably going to be gloss all over.

But absolutely delighted to get some thoughts from anyone on areas to improve - the paint for instance is a bit crap.

What an amazing looking kit. Looks like something I'd love to get, but at the same time feeling I have no business attempting.

At first glance your painting looks great. I absolutely love the colour scheme.

With a closer look, I can see what you mean with the finish in some places.

Unfortunately being the clueless noob that I am, I've got nothing constructive for you.

All I can say is that at my level, such as it is, I find your contributions to this thread pretty inspiring.

Good luck with it man.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, danbot said:

What an amazing looking kit. Looks like something I'd love to get, but at the same time feeling I have no business attempting.

At first glance your painting looks great. I absolutely love the colour scheme.

With a closer look, I can see what you mean with the finish in some places.

Unfortunately being the clueless noob that I am, I've got nothing constructive for you.

All I can say is that at my level, such as it is, I find your contributions to this thread pretty inspiring.

Good luck with it man.

It's no more complex than any RG really, if you like it I would recommend just going for it. The only thing I would say is the RG Sinanju is fairly well known for being a plastic hand grenade. They basically took the RG frame and tried to build a big kit around it, which apparently didn't really work. Lots of people complain that straight built it has bits fall off if you breathe near it. I've painted the kit obviously and that seems to have helped that a bit.

On the other hand... It's probably the best looking version of the Sinanju. It has plated gold trim (which I've striped off to do the white) and they designed the kit to make that trim look great with a minimum of effort. The MG has gold stickers... And it has a great looking take on the RG colour seperation where they go for different types of red finish, including an excellent gloss finish. An out of box build would look awesome. You can basically make it look like a miniature ver Ka if you get the HG decals as well.

Thanks for the comments. I'm still not that good at all, this has turned into a bit of a pigs ear with paint scraping off badly. But each piece is a learning piece. And trying to make a clean build, it turns out, is bloody hard to do well! I'm probably more at home with a weathered build. But this is 'for' the girlfriend so I didn't want it to look like it'd been dragged along a the pavement. Ideally. I'll post some pictures once it's decaled and done. 

I also realised as I snapped it together earlier that the colour scheme is the same as the risen Rozen Zulu :ph34r:.

I'm sorely tempted to follow this up with a PG painted build... But I think that'll take a backseat to another hobby project first...

Crappy photo of mostly finished RG Freedom.

20200413_204449

A few Decals left to add.

• Upvote 1

The ongoing, never to be quite finished, knackered Zaku.

V9N8lAA.jpg

JEQjO3N.jpg

DQhO8gP.jpg

2ZKjjR5.jpg

Apologies for the disaster area that is my desk. And the pose which isn't a pose...

• Upvote 2

That's brilliant. Really looks like he's been through it.

I also like the weathering effect on that keyboard. ;)

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I go back and forth on it. In some ways I like it, in others I don't. I think overall it looks...ok. Miles from perfect, from what I wanted it to be, but it's ok.

On the other hand, it's waaaaay too dark, the enamel washes are too heavy and the weathering isn't really 'in scale'. It's also a bit too much in some ways. I did want it to really look completely knackered, but it isn't naturally like it. But, again, learning piece. The surface damage worked fairly well (the top of the head, for instance, has been textured by hitting it with some Tamiya extra thin followed by tapping with a toothbrush, and the heavier damage is Dremel inflicted).

And yeah, the keyboard has seen better days. It's been through various DIY and building works at the house coating it in dust and whatnot, and then it spent a year basically sat unused so acquired even more dust. I need a new one really but there's a million other things ahead of it in the purchase queue.

Also just realised the Zaku seems to be auditioning for Madness.

I think the Zaku looks just fine.

I keep stalking this thread, in fear of getting back into Gunpla and adding it to the list of things I start and never finish.

The last few kits I did I ended up giving to a friend when I had to move house because I had nowhere to display them. 

nEVOfHs.jpg

Still not done, but this thing has been such a complete bastard of a thing that continually disappoints me that it's going back on the back burner to think about what it's done.

• Upvote 2

Hey @Chindie that looks wonderful. I've built several kits, bought the last one along with a couple of spray cans of top coat and a liner pen. Didn't use the top coat or line pen for whatever reason and I've kind of regretted it as I don't think I'll be buying anymore kits for the foreseeable (flat is starting to look like a Toy & Hobby).

Because I have a couple on the shelves on display I'm regretting not giving them the care they deserved with regards to finish, specifically my big Sazabi. I haven't put any decals on him yet and I'm in two minds whether I could go back and carefully line and top coat him before I do.

Probably a none starter tbh, I know it would be a tough grind to do it in reverse and he does look awesome as is.

5 hours ago, amc said:

Hey @Chindie that looks wonderful. I've built several kits, bought the last one along with a couple of spray cans of top coat and a liner pen. Didn't use the top coat or line pen for whatever reason and I've kind of regretted it as I don't think I'll be buying anymore kits for the foreseeable (flat is starting to look like a Toy & Hobby).

Because I have a couple on the shelves on display I'm regretting not giving them the care they deserved with regards to finish, specifically my big Sazabi. I haven't put any decals on him yet and I'm in two minds whether I could go back and carefully line and top coat him before I do.

Probably a none starter tbh, I know it would be a tough grind to do it in reverse and he does look awesome as is.

Thanks. That photo actually hides most of the sins in fairness...

As for your conundrum...

There's not a hard and fast rule on the process order for panel lines and decals. Generally I would gloss then decal then gloss then panel line then top coat, but that is because I paint my kits and also do the lining as part of a weathering process usually, and I don't use lining pens so need the gloss to have capillary action work (and help with clean up). Working straight onto the plastic and using markers you don't have that problem - the plastic is gloss so you have less worries about the decals going on and the clean up is simple.

The things to bear in mind - 

If you use decal setting solutions, they can affect the panel line paint, so be very careful if you line before decals.

Lines going through decals are going to cause issues either way and without setting solutions  I'm not sure how you'd overcome them. You'd also have to be careful cleaning up the line if done directly over the decal as you could damage the decal (or even just dislodge it entirely).

Top coat last to seal everything.

I would definitely recommend doing the decals and lining though. Both make the models pop and add a lot of life. On the balance of things I'd probably line last still. Hopefully there's not many (any?) lines through decals and careful cleanup is needed either way.

• Upvote 1

Sooo thinking of getting back into this as i have £50 birthday money.

Any links to good stuff at that amount including delivery?

I've done some SD stuff before and a couple of the lower grade ones too.

TIA

3 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Sooo thinking of getting back into this as i have £50 birthday money.

Any links to good stuff at that amount including delivery?

I've done some SD stuff before and a couple of the lower grade ones too.

TIA

RG Best Gundam

RG Grandad Gundam

Has anyone got the RG Evangelion 01?  I'm kinda tempted but it's so much more than the RG Gundam models!  It is my birthday coming up though....

Haven't personally built it but it's on the list to pick up...

By all accounts it's a great kit, although has some obscenely small parts. It's a fairly big RG as well - comes in around the height of a standard MG. Has very good colour separation too which isn't always a given, especially in the 1/144 scale. Biggest issue seems to be the usual problem with stickers - they're a bit shit. But there'll undoubtedly be water slides available.