rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - Beyond update inc. VR out now

11 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

In the early days of base building and I’m not sure about this new power thing they’ve added. Does anyone actually like it (apart from people who want to build calculators)? Storage containers needing power just seems stupid.

I don't think many people like it to be honest. Power is awkward to generate, you need far too much of it and the ultimate solution is electromagnetic generators but given the state of the visor for scanning seems out of the question unless you get really lucky.

• Upvote 1

My only issue with it is wiring doesn't conform to the landscape, so you get ugly diagonal lines all over your base. I'm sure a lot of people pick base locations by the aesthetics so will be wanting to keep it looking nice.

Do electromagnetic generators come later then? Like I said, I am very much in the early days. I installed a portal in my base last night, and my heart sank when I saw the power socket on the front.

@Darwock yeah, the wiring looks very ugly.

I’ve got 6 solar panels and 3 batteries on a hill powering my feeder, milker, portal and a dome where I’m growing poo plants - all of these things can be done easier by actually interacting with the animals, but was fun setting it up to see how it works. I also like the feeling that my base has a life of its own now rather than just being a structure if that makes sense.

Im tempted to get one of those industrial money farming setups and make billions at some point just to do it - then be retired in Florida, Wyatt!

1 minute ago, Monkeyboy said:

Do electromagnetic generators come later then? Like I said, I am very much in the early days. I installed a portal in my last night, and my heart sank when I saw the power socket on the front.

You don't even have to do the base missions anymore. All the stuff it rewards can be unlocked from (mostly) the nexus and the recipes from manufacturing facilities.

I actually rather liked setting up my portal to be powered by solar panels and a battery, the latter to keep it powered at night. :)

Someone has also produced a combination lock for their base. 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I actually rather liked setting up my portal to be powered by solar panels and a battery, the latter to keep it powered at night. :)

Someone has also produced a combination lock for their base. 

+Proximity switch o/

I've started moving my base to where there's a power source but that's a stupid mechanic. Only allowing the scanner to focus on the node closest to you.

They've made some unannounced changes in vr too. Now activating the jetpack while moving makes you go forward rather than straight up. Also the rocket boots act like the melee boost move so you can get around faster.

I don't know what caused it (I suspect the Nvidia update) but my copy of Norman is now mostly running at the correct 80 fps.

*Edit* Also on the Rift S hold down left trigger and the left system button for about 5 seconds and it'll take a shite screenshot. I need to check if that works for the photo missions.

They really need to allow you to dynamically swap to the pad though. The ship and exocraft controls remain terrible. Also  I suspect the exocraft view is going to make people puke.

6 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Do electromagnetic generators come later then? Like I said, I am very much in the early days. I installed a portal in my base last night, and my heart sank when I saw the power socket on the front.

Portal to proximity switch to battery to single solar panel. Easy portal setup.

But yeah, wires are ugly, joining things in your base is bugged, means you can often no longer hook things up to an existing powered structure. Individual lights that are not in a room need wiring... Ugh basically.

Power in general sounds good, but it needs some serious rework. 

Also, you can build up to 1000u away from your base... If you build a platform from your base all the way out.  So it is possible to find an electromagnetic source quite far away, but the scanner is stupid defaulting to whichever type is closest instead of letting you choose.

Anyone else has multi-tool upgrades disappear on them? Apollo got  me to exchange 60 nanites for one from the technology merchant in a space station on a mission, and then the tool tips told me to install it. However, there was nothing to install in the multi-tool screen. Then I bought 2 upgrade modules from the same merchant. Still nothing there to install! 

Finally found a nice verdant planet with no storms to start my base. 

Im doing the base missions even though they seem redundant now (as pointed out above) I seem to remember you get a lot of stuff for free doing them and it progresses the Atretemis quest line. 

My frame rate started getting a big laggy for VR in my base almost immediatly though which is sad, so I tunred off super sampling and its ok... for now.

Also my base it turns out is surrounded by super aggresive little brains with legs, its like being chased by the head crab from The Thing everytime i go out the front door.

Making food is brilliant. I was finally able to milk the solitary, elderly giant badger cat that roams my tiny lagoon island, so now I’m about to show off a crunchy caramel pie and smoked meat pie to the moody shit on the Anomoly. 

Still not cracked the cuboid room building. No outside door available to me yet, and from what I’ve read, I might have to unlock a bigger room to use these anyway. 

So far the rooms and foundations and walls aren’t all snapping together, so not sure how to use them. 

Shit pictures are shit

E4B90B0E-4943-49C3-BBD3-43D36A68756B.thumb.jpeg.c097e20a6a02fa9d96ef41d6ce71f11e.jpeg

Some base building questions: 

Can I connect those round rooms nicely to my wooden base structure? 
Is there anyway to setup a medium refiner inside a wooden base room ? 

On 23/08/2019 at 15:59, Dimahoo said:

I was farming storm Crystals last night. I love the fact they only appear during extreme weather putting you at risk (at least on my chosen planet), but then once thats past your buggered and can't collect them as they turn into rock.

No doubt this has been spoken about I'm pretty late to this game.

What type of planet was this on? Struggling to find any crystals :(

edit: Don't worry, I found them. Needs to be a proper extreme weather planet.

10 minutes ago, Strategos said:

Some base building questions: 

Can I connect those round rooms nicely to my wooden base structure? 
Is there anyway to setup a medium refiner inside a wooden base room ? 

No you can't. Best bet is to line them up as well as you can, using the terrain manipulator if needed.

Should be able to put them down pretty much anywhere.

21 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Anyone else has multi-tool upgrades disappear on them? Apollo got  me to exchange 60 nanites for one from the technology merchant in a space station on a mission, and then the tool tips told me to install it. However, there was nothing to install in the multi-tool screen. Then I bought 2 upgrade modules from the same merchant. Still nothing there to install! 

They go into your suit inventory after you buy upgrades - even ship and multitool ones. You have to install from there.

55 minutes ago, Darwock said:

They go into your suit inventory after you buy upgrades - even ship and multitool ones. You have to install from there.

They weren’t there either, unfortunately.

EDIT: Yes they were, I thought they were in the technology menu. :lol: Aaaaargh.

Figured it was about time I got back to doing some exploring, so headed into one of those blue systems with no info in the Star Chart. Well, first planet I landed on was a raging firestorm hell hole. I’d forgotten that these systems have no space station to teleport out from and I’d not brought any warp fuel.

So here is me trying to science the shit out of it in a hastily dug out hole before I burnt to death. Not my finest hour.

E176D4A5-8B44-4DAC-885D-917E4C0162A1.thumb.jpeg.a36480c519457d3032c8793dc10b38c5.jpeg

With some Warp fuel made I had a quick scan of the other planets in the system and found a Bountiful one - figured it was worth a look see...turns out it was an absolute stunner! Look at the colours!

306C390F-F4FB-4FFB-B72F-22304F3BB8A0.thumb.jpeg.a170059ad64a789676ed134554ba6332.jpeg

68F04959-550B-4A56-9840-F981C757C75B.thumb.jpeg.02e8e1a765f0feb95f1720ba1fbbf92e.jpeg

Sadly the locals pretty much all wanted me dead and the occasional extreme weather was brutal even when trying to hide in a hole.

6B256ADC-4020-4A2E-918D-78D182B15592.thumb.jpeg.f3e83a6abd96f7132da97c92e88811f9.jpeg

44D5671F-C447-43A5-A0DD-C68AED09C1FF.thumb.jpeg.26ba094a94b2e1805e31e61e3dbf1fd5.jpeg

But after a while I acclimatised, mined some Activated Indium and even made some friends.

Here I am riding one through an extreme storm to collect some crystals - made a fortune off that planet!

0FCD68F7-8075-4869-BC86-D6A02E51253A.thumb.jpeg.aaca55c8dda4092be69a042d347c7f40.jpeg

Man, I fucking love this game!

• Upvote 9

54 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Figured it was about time I got back to doing some exploring, so headed into one of those blue systems with no info in the Star Chart. Well, first planet I landed on was a raging firestorm hell hole. I’d forgotten that these systems have no space station to teleport out from and I’d not brought any warp fuel.

So here is me trying to science the shit out of it in a hastily dug out hole before I burnt to death. Not my finest hour.

E176D4A5-8B44-4DAC-885D-917E4C0162A1.thumb.jpeg.a36480c519457d3032c8793dc10b38c5.jpeg

With some Warp fuel made I had a quick scan of the other planets in the system and found a Bountiful one - figured it was worth a look see...turns out it was an absolute stunner! Look at the colours!

306C390F-F4FB-4FFB-B72F-22304F3BB8A0.thumb.jpeg.a170059ad64a789676ed134554ba6332.jpeg

68F04959-550B-4A56-9840-F981C757C75B.thumb.jpeg.02e8e1a765f0feb95f1720ba1fbbf92e.jpeg

Sadly the locals pretty much all wanted me dead and the occasional extreme weather was brutal even when trying to hide in a hole.

6B256ADC-4020-4A2E-918D-78D182B15592.thumb.jpeg.f3e83a6abd96f7132da97c92e88811f9.jpeg

44D5671F-C447-43A5-A0DD-C68AED09C1FF.thumb.jpeg.26ba094a94b2e1805e31e61e3dbf1fd5.jpeg

But after a while I acclimatised, mined some Activated Indium and even made some friends.

Here I am riding one through an extreme storm to collect some crystals - made a fortune off that planet!

0FCD68F7-8075-4869-BC86-D6A02E51253A.thumb.jpeg.aaca55c8dda4092be69a042d347c7f40.jpeg

Man, I fucking love this game!

What an adventure. Image one reminded me of Breaking Bad when Walt gets stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat battery on his RV.

• Upvote 1

Just up an a short 8 system trade route using Space stations to teleport around and then use a ship to boost into planets. But Its not enough as one complete sweep doesn't allow complete restock so reckon i'll add another 4 systems later.

Still nets me 51m for about 40 minutes work and at least is not farming. 

10 hours ago, Danster said:

What type of planet was this on? Struggling to find any crystals :(

edit: Don't worry, I found them. Needs to be a proper extreme weather planet.

Once you get around 10-15m you could start setting up a trade route.

5 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Once you get around 10-15m you could start setting up a trade route.

I just needed some to build the antimatter chamber thing :)

On 24/08/2019 at 00:19, Strafe said:

I got the freighter/capital ship after answering a distress cal and they gave it to me. The next time I did that with a different capital ship the guy wanted like 60 million credits for his ship.

Anyway, the thigh is I have already done a couple of expeditions (by speaking to that guy) and built a command centre so I could launch to begin with. I assume I got a free frigate with my first (free) freighter? I don’t recall getting a message about it being lost or anything.

alternative hypotheses: another bug

I know you’ve all been worried so just thought I’d let you know that My frigate came back from somewhere. Sent it out again. It ran into trouble, undoubtedly because of the useless gek morons piloting it.

Did another animal culling mission on a planet. The animals in question were small bipeds, like teddy bears. Looked a bit like Ewoks, bumbling around happy as could be. I can still hear their screams and my only real memento of them are the credits I got for murdering them and the credits I got for selling the sausages (no, really!”), I harvested from their corpses.

Probably won’t go back to that system, to be honest.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I built a small base right next to a massive spawn point of 4 different species of animals. Literally about 30 constantly respawning animals (Including a few predators) all in the same spot. Handy that I have a grenade launcher to deal with the filthly vermin.

It took longer to hand in the three pages of kill quests than it did to kill them all.

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah, I figured out how to fire secondary weapons in VR/Move controls. It is the square button.

I know this because I was standing in one of those little nissan hut sub-buildings and I launched a plasma grenade. It bounced off the walls a couple of times then sat there taunting me for about 1 second before the screen went black. Death number two.

• Empathy 1