rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - Beyond update inc. VR out now

6 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Are there any blueprints available for the S scanner upgrades people keep talking about? Can’t find any on the anomaly. 

Only tech comes in blueprint form. Upgrades are bought outright from vendors on the space stations.

• Upvote 2

I sent my frigates out on a couple of easy missions last night. Logged in this morning and got nearly 11million units in rewards.

Ima buying more frigates.

4 minutes ago, Flub said:

I sent my frigates out on a couple of easy missions last night. Logged in this morning and got nearly 11million units in rewards.

Ima buying more frigates.

As I didn’t get the free one, buying even one of these is a very long term project!

13 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

As I didn’t get the free one, buying even one of these is a very long term project!

How did you not get the free one? Bug? Just spend a weekend doing the chlorine refine thing. A basic freighter will set you back about 130 million.

8 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

You don't need a billion units. Unless they've significantly increased the prices of ships, frigates and capital class freighters. Units are easy to come by, it's certain building materials that are annoyingly scarce if you get into serious base building.

You're absolutely right and the chase was the fun bit - in fact me and two friends worked our way to a billion units each and once we sold up all the crafted products last year, we stopped playing!

It is nice now though to be able to build a huge base and not need to craft or mine for any materials because I just buy them. :P

I've thousands of every material - it's only carbon that I occasionally run low on and this can be easily refined using oxygen.

You definitely do not need a billion units. But a couple of hundred million is worth aiming for. :)

The most expensive ship in the game is an S-Class Freighter which would set you back 465m odd. But other than that, and you really don't need a freighter that big, most of the top ships are less than 60m (big S-Class haulers are expensive) with Freighters starting at 80m.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Thor said:

You've changed your body type. Change it back to the default, and the hand won't clip. 

I had the same issue in PC. 

I did! That’s annoying.

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I did! That’s annoying.

Yep, this Beyond update was clearly nowhere near ready for launch. 

As much as I'm enjoying the game, having bought it now for a second time, and knowing how much money Hello Games is making (looking at their accounts) ... the fact I've essentially paid them £20 to be a beta tester is a little bit galling. 

Their previous 'Next' update, while having its own issues, was a lot more polished/complete at launch, so I don't think it's fair to expect new/repeat purchasers to be overly forgiving given the state of Beyond. 

But like I said, at the same time I am still enjoying the game. 

1 hour ago, Flub said:

How did you not get the free one? Bug? Just spend a weekend doing the chlorine refine thing. A basic freighter will set you back about 130 million.

The mission has never triggered, so I assume it's a bug.

Can anyone who restarted the game for Beyond confirm that this mission triggered for them when first encountering a freighter?

The only issues I ended up having with Next were related to things not kicking off properly on an already existing save. Beyond seems to be borderline early access at times. It's frustrating that it's been released in this state. It shouldn't have happened.

Just now, Eighthours said:

The mission has never triggered, so I assume it's a bug.

The freighter defense missions trigger in space after at least three hours of playtime and I think 5 hyperspace jumps but it's pretty random. They also keep triggering even after the free one so you can upgrade later. Maybe you just got unlucky with the random?

10 minutes ago, Flub said:

The freighter defense missions trigger in space after at least three hours of playtime and I think 5 hyperspace jumps but it's pretty random. They also keep triggering even after the free one so you can upgrade later. Maybe you just got unlucky with the random?

I'll try hyperspace jumping a bit more and see if it happens, then! I've been engaged on a long-winded but enjoyable mission to fix a damaged starship I found. Still only a class C and a shuttle at that, but it has 23 slots which is 8 more than the starter ship, so it seems worth it. I've fixed a few of the slots already, but I need to find a lot more copper to refine into a fuckton of chromatic metal, and then there are a few things I've never heard of that I need to get the recipe for! It's annoying how the resource deposits you've already visited and depleted stay on the scanner! 

Also, that framerate in the Anomoly, eh? When you're landing it jerks to about 5FPS max (PSVR), and it looks like they lower the resolution in there even more than normal! It runs crazy badly, that place! 

4 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

IT's great when you trade for a new ship and it takes ALL of your money <_<

Oh and the quicksilver I got given on the anomaly is gone now as well.

Someone said whenever he bought something with nanites his quicksilver went down by the same amount.

Sounds about right. I'm loving this game and playing on console doesn't mean I've had the headache PC gamers have had, but some of this shit is basic stuff. It's a good job money isn't the grind it once was.

1 minute ago, John0 said:

Anyone know if buying copper is a thing? Can't seem to find a space station that will sell it.

I don't think I've ever seen copper for sale. Chromantic metal certainly is on sale at places though if that's what you need.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, John0 said:

Anyone know if buying copper is a thing? Can't seem to find a space station that will sell it.

Unfortunately you either have to buy chromatic metal from a space station or search for a planet that does copper. Can you scan for the exact location of resource deposits when you're flying about, so that you land near a plentiful source? I can't figure out a way. I always have to land and then engage the scanner.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Can you scan for the exact location of resource deposits when you're flying about, so that you land near a plentiful source? I can't figure out a way. I always have to land and then engage the scanner.

One of many unusally stupid design elements in the game unfortunately.

23 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

After hours of dicking around on desolate depressing glass monolith planet I’ve found a paradise planet in the same system. The I found it because I used an obs tower or whatever which revealed a temple on another planet so I landed, and just wow. 

Blissful weather, tame fauna, plentiful resources. I came in at night, and it was hilly territory overseen by these striking black mesas that extended over the terrain like Pride Rock on steroids. At ground level, the planet is covered in pastel blue grass, and tons of large trees and shrubs and the large planet it orbits is eclipsed overhead taking up half the skybox.

I was thinking I was going to set up a base on top of one of these tall mesas, all Hilltop Fortress-like, so I went for a long jog to find some buried tech to upgrade my base equipment. That was when the sun came up. 

The grass transformed into this brilliant orange in all directions and the sky overhead did, too, and the whole environment looked kind of like evening Los Angeles in the heavy smog GTA: San Andreas days. I was like ok, let’s see what this planet has to offer, so I recalled my ship, went up to the orbit, went to the other hemisphere and reentered. 

This part of the planet was a burning orange ocean that extended in all directions under the orange sky. I flew in a straight line for fifteen minutes and didn’t see the shore, so I flew back to what seemed like “the middle” where I found a pair of mid-sized islands covered in jungle trees and orange glass. I thought, fuck, this is my spot, so I landed. 

Currently building a giant orange tower made of glass with a huge atrium and outdoor walkways, and hopefully a rooftop landing pad at some point. I have a glass walkway that extends out over the water and at the end of it I’m putting my teleportation portal so that when my friends come over for a pint they arrive on a platform in the sky over the water, string at a brilliant orange sunset over the ocean with a glass tower sparkling in front of them :)

Can’t wait to get it done and show you guys some pictures. I’m going to join the islands with a walkway and have a subterranean sub base with a secret tunnel that enters the ocean underwater :) 

I called the planet “Naranjita” which is what my friend’s family call the small glass of orange juice they have in the morning. 

This is what it's all about.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I thought it told you about the planets resources if you scanned whilst in space and then looked towards the planet?

It does, but there's no guarantee that the point you enter a planet's atmosphere will be anwhere near a rich source of whatever you're after. And there's no way to scan for deposits while flying planestside. You have to get out of your ship.

23 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I thought it told you about the planets resources if you scanned whilst in space and then looked towards the planet?

Yes but we're talking about flying around looking for said resources. As it stands at the moment you have to fly, randomly land somewhere and hope there's some in scanner range. It'd be easier if you could scan for stuff like that while flying around.

2 hours ago, John0 said:

Yeah, different space stations sell different things. Other option is to badger every captain who lands, they often sell materials you rarely see being sold at the general store.

15 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

How do you unlock all the fancy buildings?

Get a base blueprint and then start digging up salvaged tech (lots and lots of salvaged tech). Actually can probably just use the anomaly now, to get the blueprints you need.

21 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

How do you unlock all the fancy buildings?

Yeah like Danster said, you need to farm "buried technology" on any planet, and then exchange the scrap you find for blueprints at the Space Anomaly.

• Upvote 1

Found the technology tabs! Oh my, that frees up a bunch of space in my inventory.

Lovingthis again having not played since launch but there's so much to know.

Got my free frieghter (new save). Didn't know what to do about the black hole. I often feel like I'm going to get suck somewhere and have left everything behind. Then find you can just summon it anywhere!

• Upvote 1