Jump to content
rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - Beyond update inc. VR out now

Recommended Posts

Turns out playing with the built in speakers on the Rift S and piping spotify through them is tinny enough  to sound like you have a radio in your space suit :)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Do you still get a free freighter at some point? I need my fleet of useless, half fixed ships.

 

I was going to ask about this, as the first time a freighter appeared, various quest dialogue was happening at the same time and no freighter mission triggered. Since then I’ve seen freighters a couple of times, but still no mission and I can’t see how to land on the ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NexivRed said:

Tip 2: the game lacks music. May I recommend some good albums to listen to whilst playing. 

- Zack Hemsey, especially the instrumental albums. 

- Xperiments by Hans Zimmer.

- the new Slipknot album.

 

I almost exclusively have on Lofi Hiphop Beats - Music to Study/ Relax To

 

I intersperse it with some Souls of Mischief or Pete Rock where appropriate

 

started doing that on the glass planet above, which I have named Golden Skans, as the music was giving me the heebie jeebies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a new ship in my collection to add to my “Exotic Class” ship, (anyone know anything about them? I’ve only seen one.)

I only change one word in the randomly generated ship names, and it was basically the same word. 

 

A6B111DE-8A2A-45C9-BACE-E0B3E2BCC83C.thumb.jpeg.a2f1688f3f0a6f553893184c1ce50e8f.jpeg

 

It makes me so happy. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Hang on. One 5 slot storage container per base? 

 

Before the update the Storage were numbered 0-9. Either you unlock 1-9 later or someones broken something at Hello's end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Re resources...One other trick i recall (today...as i've just done it)...

Don't forget that certain upgrades also mean you won't need that element. For example theres an S grade Planetary launcher available (or look for it on ships when you swap or buy them) - this means you don't need to piss about with Di-Hydrogen unless required by something else. Also means you don't have to worry about faffing around creating it all the time.

Also every time you go to a new space station, you can buy a suit slot from the vendor (he'll have a suit machine thing as well as upgrades) - but it'll cost. 

You'll still need dihydrogen for Frigate fuel. But:

 

1. Quite a lot of shops sell Dihydrogen Jelly in decent quantities that you can break down

2. If you have a decent multitool, there's a random chance while mining of getting a crystal that you can immediately break down in your inventory into a big pile of that element.

 

20 hours ago, tobert said:

Has anyone seen a spaceship other than yours in a space station when playing on PSVR? All the space stations I have been to so far have remained empty

 

Depends on the system economy I think.

 

15 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

 

Motherfucking plasma launcher is broken on my game. I even deleted it, and remade it, switched multi tools ... a lot of people are finding this bug on PS4 apparently :) so I can’t enter any of the many buildings I find.

 

Can't remember if plasma launcher is different to geology cannon, but the latter is still working for me.

 

...

 

Re base storage: I think the original poster was moaning that each of the ten containers only has five slots, which has (iirc) always been the case. Although it's more of a pain now you have to power them up to access them.

 

I'm glad you can access all your local inventories through the triangle button, as the storage rooms in my freighter base excitingly don't have floors now(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I never did get my free freighter with my launch-day save. I don't usually start over, but I'm really looking forward to it here, when things settle down a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Hang on. One 5 slot storage container per base? 

 

You unlock more by doing the base building quests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Flub said:

 

You unlock more by doing the base building quests.

 

Are they accessed via the base computer? Cos I’d love to access the latest archives that have been restored, but all that happens when I select the base computer is I get a flash of a screen, but then it goes straight to the “take a screenshot of your base” page. Can’t do anything else except that and rename or delete it. With any of them. 

 

7th crash so I’ve given up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy this game, it's feels like a litterally galaxy of options, but there is a definite point when I get overwhelmed and then can't be arsed with the constant work for everything.

 

Playing for a while tonight, I progressed with the main quest, I also unlocked several different blue prints which is exciting but all of which required materials I don't have, some have to be brought, some have to be processed. I want to build a portal processer thingy to do the processing  but am missing parts for that. I spend spend about 5 minutes looking for the materials to build the processor which will allow me to process the materials I need to create the blueprints but can't them. I then go jet off to another planet and find I need to craft thruster fuel which requires things I don't have. At that point I had forgotten about the original blueprint and turned off.

 

For the biggest game in the world, Why does everything need to be a slog?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lack of direction at times is an issue.

 

It really annoys me I can’t easily tell which systems have my quest objective no matter where I’m standing (currently you just get the notification that it’s in another system but doesn’t say which), or which ones I have used a map in from some navigational data. Cos it uses one up to go “Nothing Found”.

 

I’m getting lost easily, which isn’t helped by the fact sone of the systems and planets I renamed reverted back to their originals. 

Or the fact there’s zero key for the icons you see on the galaxy map. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tobert said:

I enjoy this game, it's feels like a litterally galaxy of options, but there is a definite point when I get overwhelmed and then can't be arsed with the constant work for everything.

 

Playing for a while tonight, I progressed with the main quest, I also unlocked several different blue prints which is exciting but all of which required materials I don't have, some have to be brought, some have to be processed. I want to build a portal processer thingy to do the processing  but am missing parts for that. I spend spend about 5 minutes looking for the materials to build the processor which will allow me to process the materials I need to create the blueprints but can't them. I then go jet off to another planet and find I need to craft thruster fuel which requires things I don't have. At that point I had forgotten about the original blueprint and turned off.

 

For the biggest game in the world, Why does everything need to be a slog?

 

Yeah I hear you. This happens to me in Elite so I keep a notepad while I’m playing, but in No Man’s Sky it is a bit more exaggerated, for instance:

 

I want to make A. 

This requires B. 

B requires C and D. 

C requires E and F, and D requires G, H, and I. 

To find E, F, G, H, and I, you have to ...

 

And so on. Why the fuck did I start looking for Faecium again, etc

 

I’m only ~5 hours into my NMS replay, but with Elite I set myself a goal in my notepad and try to stick to it otherwise I task-hop and never get anything done. “Today, I will find X amount of E and F, tomorrow I will ...” etc. 

 

Seems a bit like schoolwork but how else are you going to be a galactic tycoon? 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Seems a bit like schoolwork but how else are you going to be a galactic tycoon? 

 

Kill pirates and get those scanner buffs that give you hundreds of thousands of units per flora/fauna scan.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NexivRed said:

 

Are they accessed via the base computer?

 

The ones where you build a specialist terminal and hire blokes. The Gek overseer gives you the other 9 pretty early on.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, snowbind said:

I finally fired this up in VR today. Good lord it is beautiful. Runs like a dream for me too :)

What are your specs? Also, did you play in normal 2D mode beforehand?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Thor said:

What are your specs? Also, did you play in normal 2D mode beforehand?  

 

I've gotten mine running what feels like really smoothly but when I check my FPS it's running at about 40 rather than 80.

 

Even in 2d (I played for about 4 hours in 2d last night for a break from VR) the performance is definitely far lower than pre-patch. I'm not rocking a slow PC either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you want to be a NMS Billionaire?

 

There is truly only one way to do it, and that is farming.

 

And here is what you want to craft:

 

Spoiler

IDMJ1iZ.png

 

 

There are few things you'll need to do in preparation for this... (a total understatement)

 

First up you need the plant ingredients and the farming capability. Build a base and get the farmer to join you and then work through their missions. You will also eventually require large refineries, a good eight of them at least. And plenty of storage - visit Spacestations and get buying those extra cargo slots.

 

Once you can farm all the base ingredients you'll need the blueprints to craft all those exotic items... and this is the real grind. You'll need a signal booster and you'll need to visit Gek, Korvax and Vy'keen systems, land on a planet, use the signal booster and find Ops Centers and Manufacturing plants. Inside each one you get asked a riddle with answers, get the right answers on some of these and you get a blueprint. While it'd be nice to think you'll gradually get the answers right yourself, it's actually really boring grinding this, so I recommend using one of the many cribsheets there are out there, like this one:

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11y5wSwUDbCsCL84lmf1WmZWoEaYimn1nILVPvhjnbts/edit#gid=618249743

 

You gotta cut some corners.

 

Once you start getting the blueprints you need, you can start crafting and refining the goods you'll need - take some time out from the blueprint grind. Top tip here is to create a base on planets that naturally grow the plants. So Lush or Paradise for Star Bulbs, Desert for Cactus etc. Create a teleporter on each (plus power now - one battery, a solar panel and proximity switch is ideal) and plant as many of the local flora as you can. I recomend you rename the base to "Frost Wort Farm" or something for easy reference when you start jumping around.

 

There used to be a bug (feature?) that if you visited a friend's farm planet and used their plants, they'd just keep coming back, which was nice. I don't know if this has been patched out. Regardless, farm planets are much easier than farming at home, especially since you need to power everything now. The other advantage of doing it with friends is that you can combine blueprints and may not need the whole set yourself.

 

Once you've got your raw products and blueprints then it's "simply" a matter of combining, refining and crafting to build as many of the fusion ignitors and stasis devices as possible. In fact if you do enough to build one, then you'll likely have the infrastructure to easily build ten and if you're gonna build ten, why not a hundred? lol 

 

Capitalism at its finest.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tobert said:

I enjoy this game, it's feels like a litterally galaxy of options, but there is a definite point when I get overwhelmed and then can't be arsed with the constant work for everything.

 

Playing for a while tonight, I progressed with the main quest, I also unlocked several different blue prints which is exciting but all of which required materials I don't have, some have to be brought, some have to be processed. I want to build a portal processer thingy to do the processing  but am missing parts for that. I spend spend about 5 minutes looking for the materials to build the processor which will allow me to process the materials I need to create the blueprints but can't them. I then go jet off to another planet and find I need to craft thruster fuel which requires things I don't have. At that point I had forgotten about the original blueprint and turned off.

 

For the biggest game in the world, Why does everything need to be a slog?

 

It's a bit of a double edged sword that the game now has so, so much to do.

 

When it launched (as you will see from my posts at the time), the game was much more bare bones, and as a result it had much more of a "Make your own fun" vibe to it. And I loved that. But now there is almost literally an infinite To Do list, and I'm never going to get to it all. If you're the sort of person who very much needs to progress in a game, then I can see how this would feel like a slog. But most of my playtime in NMS has been chilling. Just walking about on planets looking for nice views, or exploring underwater caves, or whatever. That's the way I like to play the game, and I slightly resent/regret that the updates have moved the focus away from this, and towards giving the player more tasks to complete. I really just want more creature and biome diversity. Oh, and rain on the cockpit glass please, as per this recent Reddit post:

 

 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to give one tip for this game, it'd be to prioritise getting your medium refiner and as much Oxygen as you can. If you want to make money early on, and be able to duplicate your resources, then the refiner is the way forward. It's also worth noting (before I go into a few tricks with medium refiner) that the portable refiner can give you infinite Di-hydrogen as long as you have 40 of them - make a Jelly in your inventory with 40 Di-hydrogen, pop it into the refiner, get 50 back.

 

Now, medium refiner - many of the materials can be duplicated (sometimes 3x, 6x rather than just 2x) using Oxygen or Chromatic metal.

 

For example, 1 Ionised Cobalt and 2 Oxygen will output 3 Ionised Cobalt, so you can get infinite Cobalt and Ionised Cobalt as long as you 2 Cobalt to start with (to make your first Ionised Cobalt) and Oxygen to put in with it. Oxygen will also double up other things, Sodium Nitrate being one of them.

 

Using Chromatic Metal you can quadruple your copper (1 Chromatic Metal + 1 Copper = 4 Copper), and this one is even better because it's an infinite loop. Quadruple Copper with Chromatic Metal, make more Chromatic Metal using some of the Copper. Rinse, repeat.

 

If you want to make money (as well as infinite resources), the best way to do this early on is with 1 Chlorine and 2 Oxygen in the medium refiner. That combo will get you 6 Chlorine, which you then put in with 12 Oxygen to get 36 Chlorine out. You only need to use Oxygen until you have 75 Chlorine. Now put 25 Chlorine in the refiner to make 50 Salt and the put that in with your remaining 50 Chlorine to make a Chloride Lattice. At this stage you have a pretty worthless item, except that it refines down to 150 Chlorine. Put 50 in to get 100 Salt.....and you see how this works by now....Every 100 Chlorine is worth 60k Credits, so you'll quickly make money on this early on in the game. Of course, if you can harvest Oxygen from the Atmosphere then sod all that messing around with Salt and Lattices and just put the Chlorine in with Oxygen to multiply your stack by six. Much quicker!

 

There are loads of other things that I haven't experimented with since I started playing this again, but I know you used to be able to get infinite Indium and Emeril by putting them in with Chromatic metal for a 4x return (same infinite loop as with Copper).

 

Anyway, I'm off to carry on with my Chlorine and find out where the Atmosphere Harvester is in the tech tree, woo hoo!

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Get 3. S, A and B and rake in the dough.

 

Actually that's a point. Can you have 3 S rank mods fitted? I just presumed you couldn't.

 

Yes. I have three S scanner mods at the moment. It doesn't look like you can have any more than three though. Even adding a B shut down the bonuses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, paulamagaula said:

If I had to give one tip for this game, it'd be to prioritise getting your medium refiner and as much Oxygen as you can. If you want to make money early on, and be able to duplicate your resources, then the refiner is the way forward. It's also worth noting (before I go into a few tricks with medium refiner) that the portable refiner can give you infinite Di-hydrogen as long as you have 40 of them - make a Jelly in your inventory with 40 Di-hydrogen, pop it into the refiner, get 50 back.

 

Now, medium refiner - many of the materials can be duplicated (sometimes 3x, 6x rather than just 2x) using Oxygen or Chromatic metal.

 

For example, 1 Ionised Cobalt and 2 Oxygen will output 3 Ionised Cobalt, so you can get infinite Cobalt and Ionised Cobalt as long as you 2 Cobalt to start with (to make your first Ionised Cobalt) and Oxygen to put in with it. Oxygen will also double up other things, Sodium Nitrate being one of them.

 

Using Chromatic Metal you can quadruple your copper (1 Chromatic Metal + 1 Copper = 4 Copper), and this one is even better because it's an infinite loop. Quadruple Copper with Chromatic Metal, make more Chromatic Metal using some of the Copper. Rinse, repeat.

 

If you want to make money (as well as infinite resources), the best way to do this early on is with 1 Chlorine and 2 Oxygen in the medium refiner. That combo will get you 6 Chlorine, which you then put in with 12 Oxygen to get 36 Chlorine out. You only need to use Oxygen until you have 75 Chlorine. Now put 25 Chlorine in the refiner to make 50 Salt and the put that in with your remaining 50 Chlorine to make a Chloride Lattice. At this stage you have a pretty worthless item, except that it refines down to 150 Chlorine. Put 50 in to get 100 Salt.....and you see how this works by now....Every 100 Chlorine is worth 60k Credits, so you'll quickly make money on this early on in the game. Of course, if you can harvest Oxygen from the Atmosphere then sod all that messing around with Salt and Lattices and just put the Chlorine in with Oxygen to multiply your stack by six. Much quicker!

 

There are loads of other things that I haven't experimented with since I started playing this again, but I know you used to be able to get infinite Indium and Emeril by putting them in with Chromatic metal for a 4x return (same infinite loop as with Copper).

 

Anyway, I'm off to carry on with my Chlorine and find out where the Atmosphere Harvester is in the tech tree, woo hoo!

 

Umm. I think I’m going to keep space-prospecting the infinite gold on my hall of mirrors planet, that sounds complicated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Floshenbarnical said:

 

Umm. I think I’m going to keep space-prospecting the infinite gold on my hall of mirrors planet, that sounds complicated. 

 

It's pretty simple once you get going, but it means spending time at the refiner rather than exploring. So that's a bit of a down-side.

 

The second planet I landed on had "Natural Burial Site" areas on it which made me a fortune early on - the bones you dig up range from 60k value to around 2mill (each). So if you find a planet with bones, find yourself a building with a sales terminal, then plonk down a base next door and go hunting for burial sites. One thing to note, the bones don't stack so you need lots of open inventory space.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.